• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Official NHL thread 2007-2008

I realize Ryder had a break-out year....but does anyone else think it's stupid to only give him a one year deal? Chances are, we'll only end up having to pay more later.

Am I the only one who thinks Kevin Lowe is screwing over other teams with these offers? Vanek has serious skill but two years in the NHL doesn't justify $7 million/year, and Penner has potential but he's not a $4 million/year player. Both players are young and _could_ be worth those figures in time, basically forcing their respective teams to match.

It's like the Bobby Clarke fiasco last year, when he offered Ryan Kesler $2 million/year. Kesler isn't worth that kind of money yet, but Vancouver had to match for political reasons. As another hockey analyst put it, if Nonis didn't match the offer it'd be open season on all Canuck restricted free agents.

I don't know, maybe I'm paranoid about conspiracies...

dragonturtle; said:
Am I the only one who thinks Kevin Lowe is screwing over other teams with these offers? Vanek has serious skill but two years in the NHL doesn't justify $7 million/year, and Penner has potential but he's not a $4 million/year player. Both players are young and _could_ be worth those figures in time, basically forcing their respective teams to match.

It's like the Bobby Clarke fiasco last year, when he offered Ryan Kesler $2 million/year. Kesler isn't worth that kind of money yet, but Vancouver had to match for political reasons. As another hockey analyst put it, if Nonis didn't match the offer it'd be open season on all Canuck restricted free agents.

I don't know, maybe I'm paranoid about conspiracies...

Well, on one hand....it's a very cunning move to make teams pay more for the talent they've already got in order to get a better shot at the free agents...but I wouldn't expect such a philosophy from Kevin Lowe...that's more of a Glen Sather thing.

Ouch that guy really likes getting booed . I can't believe he would want to come back to Montreal after everything he went through the last few years he was there . Still it's not a bad signing if he is used as a 5th or 6th defenseman .

That's what he'll be... probably just play the one season and retire has a habs.

Kevin Lowe's plan worked . The Oilers got Dustin Penner .

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20070802_144301_6072

I really don't like this new way of stealing restricted free agents . It's going to start something very ugly with the inflated salaries of players that don't deserve that much money .

I don't like these moves either, and I totally agree with Brian Burke for lambasting Kevin Lowe for his recent offers. Screws teams like Buffalo into resigning their players for too much money.

But on the other hand, the Penner signing might be just what the league needs. Penner may prove everyone wrong, but at this point, everyone besides Lowe thinks he overpaid. One good year doesn't make a player. You'd think Lowe would've learned after the Joffrey Lupul bust.

If Penner doesn't put up $4 million/year numbers, which I don't think he will, Lowe loses his job, and hopefully that will scare some sense into any other GMs thinking about doing the same thing.

I don't like these moves either, and I totally agree with Brian Burke for lambasting Kevin Lowe for his recent offers. Screws teams like Buffalo into resigning their players for too much money.

But on the other hand, the Penner signing might be just what the league needs. Penner may prove everyone wrong, but at this point, everyone besides Lowe thinks he overpaid. One good year doesn't make a player. You'd think Lowe would've learned after the Joffrey Lupul bust.

If Penner doesn't put up $4 million/year numbers, which I don't think he will, Lowe loses his job, and hopefully that will scare some sense into any other GMs thinking about doing the same thing.

The part that I really don't get is that Lowe is the GM of a team from a market that always had problems with budget and signing top players ; so why would he want to make the prices go higher ??? That doesn't make any sense for his team .

Thunder Bolt; said:
The part that I really don't get is that Lowe is the GM of a team from a market that always had problems with budget and signing top players ; so why would he want to make the prices go higher ??? That doesn't make any sense for his team .

Yeah...wasn't it just a couple of years ago (and also the reason for the strike) that teams, especially Edmonton, were complaining about the cost of building a quality team? If I remember correctly, Edmonton was talking about how their pre-strike self-imposed salary cap was approximately $40 million. So how is it now that, in the same market with the same capacity arena and a $50 million salary cap, Edmonton can now afford or seemingly afford all these big contracts? For this reason, I really think a lot of this is pure bluff that could quickly explode in Edmonton's face.

If Penner flops I'm gonna laugh my ass off at Lowe, a guy who's only played one full season is already the 2nd highest paid player on the team. Thanks for jacking up salaries jackass.

I kinda hope someone gets back at him and goes after one of his RFAs and screws him over by offering way more than the player's worth, but then that would jack up salaries even more so it would kinda defeat the purpose of keeping the salaries somewhat reasonable. Would be funny though.

Any such manoeuvre shall hearby be dubbed a Lowe-Blow.

If Penner flops I'm gonna laugh my ass off at Lowe, a guy who's only played one full season is already the 2nd highest paid player on the team. Thanks for jacking up salaries jackass.

I kinda hope someone gets back at him and goes after one of his RFAs and screws him over by offering way more than the player's worth, but then that would jack up salaries even more so it would kinda defeat the purpose of keeping the salaries somewhat reasonable. Would be funny though.

I really hope the other GMs in the NHL will not try the same stupid moves Lowe did and put a stop to it right away before it gets out of hand .

Dick Pound; said:

Yeah...and in mid-season, somewhere from the inner sanctum of Skyreach (whatever the hell it's called now, it'll always be Skyreach), you'll hear a very loud and pronounced "D'OH!"

They the chance to change the RFA rules about offering them offer sheets... they didn't went to change them... so they have to live with it now.

It was the only way for Lowe to get players, since none of the UFA's wants to go freeze his ass in Edmonton.

Go Avs. with smyth and hannan in the team i´ll think they´ll make it to the playoffs this year. And Paparmane you may keep Brisebois he sucked

hey does anyone know if peter forsberg has singed with any club yet. for the moment hi is playing golf in the great country of Sweden. so i started to wonder. cuz i haven´t heard anything

hey does anyone know if peter forsberg has singed with any club yet. for the moment hi is playing golf in the great country of Sweden. so i started to wonder. cuz i haven´t heard anything

No, he hasn't sign yet, but Ottawa, Colorado, Philadelphia and Detroit are interested in him.