• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL'13/'14 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
I haven't followed hockey for decades but when the game came up after the race I stayed to watch. It was worth it. Is it me or are those Kings much LARGER than the Rangers? Seriously, it looked like little guys skating against gorillas. No question that goal should have been waived off but Lundqvist can't be allowing skaters in his crease. He did this the whole game. Back in the old days goalies never let that happen. A few butt ends of the stick into the ribs usually kept the crease clear.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
The Kings definitely have the physical advantage but that can be said when you compare them to just about any other team in the NHL. They play a bruising, wear-you-down style along with solid defense and very stout goaltending so, hell yeah, they present a formidable force. The Rangers only real advantage is their speed with guys like Hagelin and Kreider....but speed can make or break a game so this too presents a significant weapon that we have already seen the Rangers use to their advantage in this series so far.

As far as guys being in the crease, that's just the way the NHL is these days. You see it all the time. I remember the day where goals were disallowed all the time due to players being in the crease (in those days, a player was allowed to have one skate and his stick in the crease but any goal would be disallowed that was scored when a player had both skates in the blue paint). Today's NHL rule 78.5 addresses disallowed goals as follows:

[Quote]78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons:

(i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick.

(ii) When the puck has been kicked using a distinct kicking motion.

(iii) When the puck has deflected directly into the net off an official.

(iv) When a goal has been scored and an ineligible player is on the ice.

(v) When an attacking player has interfered with a goalkeeper in his goal crease.

(vi) When the puck has entered the net after making contact with an attacking player’s stick that is above the height of the crossbar. Where the puck makes contact with the stick is the determining factor. See 38.4(vi).

(vii) When video review confirms the scoring of a goal at one end of the ice, any goal scored at the other end on the same play must be disallowed.

(viii) When a Linesman reports a double-minor penalty for high-sticking, a major penalty or a match penalty to the Referee following the scoring of a goal by the offending team, the goal must be disallowed and the appropriate penalty assessed.

(ix) When a goalkeeper has been pushed into the net together with the puck after making a save. See also 69.6.

(x) When the net becomes displaced accidentally. The goal frame is considered to be displaced if either or both goal pegs are no longer in their respective holes in the ice, or the net has come completely off one or both pegs, prior to or as the puck enters the goal.

(xi) During the delayed calling of a penalty, the offending team cannot score unless the non-offending team shoots the puck into their own net. This shall mean that a deflection off an offending player, or any physical action by an offending player that may cause the puck to enter the non-offending team’s goal, shall not be considered a legal goal. Play shall be stopped before the puck enters the net (whenever possible) and the signaled penalty assessed to the offending team.

(xii) When the Referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle.

(xiii) Any goal scored, other than as covered by the official rules, shall not be allowed.[/Quote]

Subheading V only stipulates "goaltender interference" so there is no "in the crease" and the call is strictly a judgment by the official. Golatenders aren't as quick to slash or crosscheck opposing forwards who sit in the crease since it is not illegal to do so as long as there is no goaltender interference. I've seen penalties called against goalies for taking retaliatory action so the old days are pretty much over, Bob.

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
I didn't have a problem with the Kings' goal. Lundquist needs to channel his inner Billy Smith. It doesn't help his cause when he flops like a fish every time someone touches him. If the players would stop flopping, they would get more legit calls their way.

Jagger69

I didn't have a problem with the Kings' goal. Lundquist needs to channel his inner Billy Smith. It doesn't help his cause when he flops like a fish every time someone touches him. If the players would stop flopping, they would get more legit calls their way.

Well, since you despise the Rangers I'm sure you didn't, feller. :1orglaugh And exactly what "flop" are you referring to? The interference call against Jeff Carter? Hardly qualifies a a flop in my book. Sure, he was outside the crease so he's fair game but it doesn't mean you can slash him. If Carter had simply run into him without swinging his stick like he was chopping wood the penalty never would have been called. Was Quick "flopping" when Pouliot was called for interference in the second period?

Game 2 was incredible. Then again so was Game 1. Then again how amazing was G7 of the WCF when the Kings won in OT in a great game, too

The Kings have been truly amazing and Friday I expect them to be hoisting the Cup

feller469

Jagger, I am referring to the Carter incident. Lundqvist looked like Kennedy in Dallas. Yes, he got contact, but his reaction was ridiculous. He got the call, but that was embellished. I hate it in soccer, basketball, hockey... Instead of trying to make the play, Lundqvist was hoping the ref would bail him out. Make the play first, let the refs sort it out after that.

feller469

Yes, I do chuckle when the Lundqvist commercial comes on where he stops a charging rhino.

Deepcover

Closed Account
I'm not a hockey fan but was amazed to find out NYR made it too the finals. Back in the day I was a huge Mike Richter fan. Hope they win and take cup back to Manhattan in 2014

Jagger69

Wow....that was not the effort I expected from the Rangers. Looks like they were mentally defeated going into the game. LA totally dominated. Unless there is some sort of miracle in store (I think not), this won't go past game 4. The Kings are quite obviously the better team, the Rangers know it and, if someone thinks they can't win, they won't. Get out the broom it appears.

feller469

Quick was the difference. If he doesn't make those two incredible saves (one with the stick, the other the skate and stick) it's a different game. The Rangers outshot the Kings, but just couldn't get one by him. A bounce here or there... I do think it is over, but Game 5 in LA.

Deepcover

Closed Account
Well NYR could've @ least win one game in the series

- - - Updated - - -

Well NYR could've @ least win one game in the series

Jagger69

Quick was the difference. If he doesn't make those two incredible saves (one with the stick, the other the skate and stick) it's a different game. The Rangers outshot the Kings, but just couldn't get one by him. A bounce here or there... I do think it is over, but Game 5 in LA.

SOG are one of the most deceiving stats in sports. It just didn't seem like the Rangers were as up for this game as they should have been. Their energy level seemed higher in games 1 and 2 to me. Only Zuccarello seemed to have a spark. I'm certainly not making excuses....the Kings are definitely the better team. I am not so sure that this isn't going to be over in 4.

Of course, all this will do is to continue to stoke the notion that the Western Conference is vastly superior to the East. I do believe this to be the case and, besides the Kings, there are perhaps 5 other teams from the West who could beat the Rangers in a 7 game series. No one from the East could beat the Kings (or the Hawks for that matter).

feller469

Boston would have the best shot at beating a team from the West, but I don't think they could win 4 out of 7, even if Rask was molten rock hot.

Jagger69

Boston would have the best shot at beating a team from the West, but I don't think they could win 4 out of 7, even if Rask was molten rock hot.

Boston could beat several top West teams but they would have zero chance against the Kings (or the Hawks). That's the point I was trying to make. Against the Blues, Sharks, Ducks or Wild I would give them at least an even chance. After the Bruins (and now, for the time being, the Rangers), there is a sharp dropoff in the level of talent in the Eastern Conference. The West is much deeper in my opinion.

Game 3 was the Kings team I have seen most of the season and wondered where they went all post-season except for G5 of the SJ series when they won 3-0 as well as G2 and G6 of the Anaheim series

THAT was "Kings Hockey" - smart hockey with crisp passing, lots of forechecking and taking advantage of turnovers to create scoring chances. The goal in the last second of 1P as the crusher. Rangers were going to get out of the period 0-0 but then it was 1-0 Kings and you could just see them deflate. Lundqvist really had no chance on any of the goals. 2nd one St. Louis deflected it in and the 3rd goal Mike Richards tries to make a pass, it comes back to him and with Lundqvist leaning the other way he had no chance

Kings won the Cup on June 11, 2012 and can win it on the same day 2 years later. Discussion among fans is: Win it in G4 or lose and win it in G5 at home?

Gun to my head: I think the Kings end it Wednesday but won't be shocked if they don't

How about ticket prices!!!! When Rangers made the SCF tix were going for over $2k EACH. Now that they are down 3-0 tix are less than $500 each and I'll say it might get below $400 near game time

Status
Not open for further replies.