• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Greatest Defenseman In NHL History

Who is the greatest defenseman who ever played in the NHL?

• Ray Bourque

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bobby Orr

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Doug Harvey

• Larry Robinson

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Scott Stevens

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Nicklas Lidstrom

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Paul Coffey

• Denis Potvin

• Chris Chelios

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

LezFemmez

Banned
Hmmm, as a half blood Swedish Bruins fan I can't really decide on Orr or Lidström, but...I will put two additional names into the mix: Börje Salming and Vjacheslav Fetisov, two of the greatest defenders to have ever played the game. Admittedly, both never won the Stanely Cup, but since they got elected into the IIHF International Centennial All-Star Team, they should at least be mentioned.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
As to why I say there isn't discussion as to who is the best, it's because in my experiences Orr is always considered the best defenceman. I'm sure there is one hell of an argument for Lidstrom, though.

Well, it depends what qualities you wish to consider. If you are speaking of offensive talent....it's Orr. If you are speaking of defensive talent....well, I think there have been better d-men than Orr. It is really a shame that some of you younger guys here never got to see Larry Robinson play. He was a beast on the blueline....greatest "defensive" defenseman ever in my book. :thumbsup:

Look at this check he lays on Gary Dornhoeffer of the Big Bad Broad Street Bullies:

The "Big Bird" also had a knack for scoring big goals:

He was also one of the very few who kicked the shit out of tough-guy and Broad Street Bully enforcer Dave "The Hammer" Schultz:

Sorry for the lack of quality of the picture....that's what you got back in B & W days when you were using rabbit ears. :D It wasn't mandatory for the players to wear helmets back then either!

In the final analysis, however, you are probably correct. I'm just trying to get a little discussion going....it's not much fun if we all agree.

Lidstrom is the better defender in an era with bigger, stronger athletes. Orr is like Jimi Hendrix. He has that "what could have been" mystique. I'll take the guys with the proven track record. Lidstrom, Bourque, Stevens. They may not have the offensive prowess Orr had, but they're better defenders, and that's what I want in a defenseman.

"For my game," Vladimir Konstantinov explained, "I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995–96, with a plus/minus difference of +60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986–87 NHL season. Of course the Redwings scored goals, but were heavily reliant on his defensive presence.

I realize he probably isn't the best to ever play, as I voted for Bobby Orr as well. Nevertheless, I'd probably choose him over any other defenceman I've had the priveledge to watch for my team and thought he deserved a mention.

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
I may be a little biased, but I say Nicklas Lidström.

Lidstrom is the best defenseman of this era because he does evertything so well. He doesn't seem to get enough credit for his play unless the Wings are in a deep playoff run.

Orr is the best of all time not just because of his personality and numbers but how he reinvented the position.

Well, probably my all time favorite defenseman was (Texas born! ;)) Brian Leetch, but he is not the greatest ever. He was so fun to watch though how offensively explosive he was. Some of the records Coffey has blow me away: the goals in season; points in a game. Bourque leads both most goals and assists in a defenseman's career.

Al MacInnis put up astounding numbers, and the Gretzky of American (well, at least Midwest) hockey is Housley, and if anyone knows some of the legend of him - straight from high school into the NHL and what he did in high school (something that might never be done again) - he could run the whole show like a quarterback - you'd be surprised.

Orr put up crazy good numbers for a d-man. Wonder what he'd do in the league today.

For those interested: http://couchpotatohockey.com/Records/Reg_Season_Ind_Records/Scoring_by_Defenseman.asp

Vlad The Impaler

Power Slave
Well, probably my all time favorite defenseman was (Texas born! ;)) Brian Leetch, but he is not the greatest ever. He was so fun to watch though how offensively explosive he was. Some of the records Coffey has blow me away: the goals in season; points in a game. Bourque leads both most goals and assists in a defenseman's career.

Al MacInnis put up astounding numbers, and the Gretzky of American (well, at least Midwest) hockey is Housley, and if anyone knows some of the legend of him - straight from high school into the NHL and what he did in high school (something that might never be done again) - he could run the whole show like a quarterback - you'd be surprised.

Orr put up crazy good numbers for a d-man. Wonder what he'd do in the league today.

For those interested: http://couchpotatohockey.com/Records/Reg_Season_Ind_Records/Scoring_by_Defenseman.asp

That was a great site Bloody. I checked out the other records and it still amazes me how far ahead Gretzky is.1,000 points ahead of Messier. That record will NEVER be broken. He was so consistent and the the NHL is a different game now. There's no more don't touch the Superstar.

I'm at first hesitant to say Bobby Orr. I think of Eddie Shore, Al MacInnis, Brian Leetch. Who had stellar careers and defined their positions. Nick Lidstrom is perhaps the most consistently dominant career player of any sport today, comparable only to Mariano Rivera.

But then one need only look at Bobby Orr in his day. Some people debate how much of a defensive d-man he was...in reality thats only because his offensive numbers were so stupefying. He was a tremendous defensive player who could kill penalties all by himself. He didn't shy away from physical play either...never shy about dropping gloves and could throw Scott Stevens-worthy open ice checks. He's the only defenseman anybody bothers to bring up in the same breath as Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux. And he was a finer and faster skater than all of them.

So yeah, its #4.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
I wish I could answer this thread with an educated opinion.
By time i got into hockey many of those guys were retired or close to it.
Lidstrom, stevens and chelios are the only ones I really saw play more than just once or twice.
Out of those Chelios, the Ironman, very complete player.

I never saw Orr play like I've watched Lidstrom his entire career. Bobby changed the game. Doing things that had never been done by a Dman. Thats why he gets the nod from me in this poll.

Lidstrom is the greatest defenseman of his era no doubt. Sure Bourque and Chelios can be in on the conversation. I've got a Bruins jersey because of Raymond and watched Chelios a ton over his career. Lidstrom is tops for the last 25 years.

I usually take the high road and pick the best but I went favorite this time and picked Stevenson. Loved me some Devils back then.

A little off topic but Chelios is a bit of a hot head. Met him downtown one time and he refused to sign autos. That dissapointed me, considering I have his white Blackhawks jersey sitting in my closet. :(

My all time favorites remain Housley and Leetch, not just because they were critical d-men in their era and put up phenominal numbers, but they were always gracious off the ice as well. I have heard that Orr is cool but I never met him.