• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Greatest Guitarist Of All Time

The* *Greatest* *Guitarist* *Of* *All* *Time*

• Jimi Hendrix

Votes: 66 45.2%
  • Eric Clapton

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Jimmy Page

Votes: 28 19.2%
  • Jeff Beck

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Keith Richards

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Frank Zappa

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Kirk Hammett

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Pete Townshend

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Eddie Van Halen

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • Angus Young

Votes: 11 7.5%

• Total voters
People should probably not vote for Eric Clapton.

I say this because there is a BBC documentary knocking around in which Eric Clapton claims that Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitarist of all time (therefore better than Eric himself).

People should probably not vote for Eric Clapton.

I say this because there is a BBC documentary knocking around in which Eric Clapton claims that Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitarist of all time (therefore better than Eric himself).

Ya. Clapton saw Hendrix and said something along the lines up, "we're all going to be out of jobs soon"

I still prefer Clapton. Much smoother, cleaner style.

I voted Hendrix though I like Keith Richards better. I am not sure why people love SRV so much. I have always thought he was the blues hack who played at the bar down the street trying to be like his idols, score chicks and snort white powder drugs. His tone is horrible and he never played much original material or his own ideas. I realize that most players do not redefine the entire language of the guitar, but SRV really isn't all that. Hell he wasn't even the best guitar player in his family.

Clapton is good but where is his friend BB KING
Lots of good blues guitarists out there

This is WAY too subjective a question to have any one answer. Clapton is a HORRIBLE heavy metal guitar player, and so folks who don't like the style he plays now would never vote for him, and so on.

This is a better thing to ask "Who's your favorite?" because honestly- it's all opinion.

H

This is WAY too subjective a question to have any one answer. Clapton is a HORRIBLE heavy metal guitar player, and so folks who don't like the style he plays now would never vote for him, and so on.

This is a better thing to ask "Who's your favorite?" because honestly- it's all opinion.

H

good point

H

Agreed. Perhaps we need to limit the question to a particular genre.

I voted Jimmy Page, but I think Dave Davies of the Kinks might very well be the most underrated guitar player.

I was always a big Kinks fan especially the mid 60s stuff and agree with you.One of the first songs I heard that I just was bowled over by the guitar work/sound in was the Kinks "Tired of waiting"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz64hWng2vM&feature=related

And of course "All day and all of the night"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4DV-5d6a5g

And I just have to mention as a great guitarist Chuck Berry.:thumbsup:

I couldn't pick the greatest guitarist of all time.

My favorite guitarist is Adam Jones, of Tool. I know he's no hendrix, it terms of fast, scale stuff. But he makes the riffs that moves me.

That's all I can judge this one by.

Spleen

Banned?
Most of those guitarists were revolutionary in their time, but since then all of them have become outdone and replaced.

I can't wait until another 20 years pass, when guitarist of present day are getting recognition for being "greatest of all time".

Most of those guitarists were revolutionary in their time, but since then all of them have become outdone and replaced.

I can't wait until another 20 years pass, when guitarist of present day are getting recognition for being "greatest of all time".

One day, I was standing in the checkout line at Sam Ash with a buddy of mine who was buying a new acoustic guitar. I kept hearing this crazy, scaley solo stuff. It was kind of muted, so I thought it was just some song playing over the store's PA system. But it was kind of quietly blowing my mind. Creative and incredibly complicated. I was going to ask the clerk, "who is that you're playing on the PA system? That's one awesome guitar player, man."

Then I looked behind me, and there was this kid. Probably twelve years old. Asian. Playing the guitar. It was muted because he was wearing headphones, testing out a pedal. I couldn't believe it.

I sat there and watched him play for like five minutes. He made Hendrix look like an amatuer.

Spleen

Banned?
One day, I was standing in the checkout line at Sam Ash with a buddy of mine who was buying a new acoustic guitar. I kept hearing this crazy, scaley solo stuff. It was kind of muted, so I thought it was just some song playing over the store's PA system. But it was kind of quietly blowing my mind. Creative and incredibly complicated. I was going to ask the clerk, "who is that you're playing on the PA system? That's one awesome guitar player, man."

Then I looked behind me, and there was this kid. Probably twelve years old. Asian. Playing the guitar. It was muted because he was wearing headphones, testing out a pedal. I couldn't believe it.

I sat there and watched him play for like five minutes. He made Hendrix look like an amatuer.

As great as I'm sure he was, there are tonnes of amazing guitarists, even young kids, posting videos every day on youtube/etc. The thing is, being an amazingly technical guitarist doesn't always equal good music. That is why they are playing to themselves or infront of a webcam instead of releasing albums. There is far more to it than technical skill.

Right now, I'd say my favourite guitarist who is still performing today is Matt Belamy of Muse. I don't really like Muse that much, but what they guy does every time he picks up his guitar is truely outstanding.