• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Coronavirus

I'm not all that worried about dying, but I'm pretty sure it will kill my 401k in the (hopefully) short term. Will also keep a few weeks worth of supplies on hand in the event of a quarantine or major supply chain disruption.

:facepalm:

corona.jpg

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I'm not all that worried about dying, but I'm pretty sure it will kill my 401k in the (hopefully) short term. Will also keep a few weeks worth of supplies on hand in the event of a quarantine or major supply chain disruption.

As long as you're not approaching retirement age, just keep rolling your dollars into it every pay period. Your contributions will dollar cost average and you won't notice this dip (or even bear market) in 30 years. Remember, it's time in the market, not timing the market. Stay steady. :hatsoff:

Just don't be like
OMG_ONOZ.gif~c200

I am not, and I repeat, am NOT furthering any conspiracy theories, but if you were a country that wanted to weaponize a viral outbreak on the US, the time to do it would be right now. Never a better opportunity. We have a president who is more interested in the mirror than anything else, who appoints people who are as woefully unfit for the posts they fill as he is, if not more. (If that's possible.) Did you see the exchange between REPUBLICAN Senator Kennedy and acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf? The man in charge of Homeland Security knows less than average citizens. Add to this the fact that the organizations whose job has been to protect us from just this sort of thing, such as the Centers for Disease Control have been systematically defunded over the past three years, leaving a bare skeleton staff to handle this. And now trump is saying he can, 'bring the doctors back (to the CDC, et al,) anytime.' Really? You don't think they moved on? You don't think regardless of how serious this gets, there's no upside in working for a president who will fire you if you don't say what he wants to hear, and/or fire you as soon as he thinks the crisis has passed? Yeah, this has disaster written all over it.

I'm not picking on the president because he's a republican. I'm saying it because of the undeniable truth that he is woefully, frighteningly unfit for his office. And the nation could very well have to pay the price for his arrogant ineptitude.

As long as you're not approaching retirement age, just keep rolling your dollars into it every pay period. Your contributions will dollar cost average and you won't notice this dip (or even bear market) in 30 years. Remember, it's time in the market, not timing the market. Stay steady. :hatsoff:

Great advice, ty. I did consider moving some of it around to more bond heavy funds during the coronavirus drop, but I decided swing trading with my 401k was a bad idea. Steady as she goes!

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
On a financial board that I sometimes post on, some of the people were trying to call a bottom in the DJIA/S&P 500. Several jumped in with both feet early last week, talking about "stocks on sale" and what not. And they got smacked in the face again. Most people with 401Ks don't have access to individual stocks (which is probably a good thing). So IMO, the smart thing for individual investors to do in situations like this (high volatility, strong down moves on heavy volume, etc.) is to look at your time horizon til retirement and have a balanced allocation using mutual funds (or even better, ETFs if you have access to those in your 401K - just because they tend to have lower expense ratios). You don't need to tell me your age. But if you're 35 or below, I'd still be at least 90% equities.

Yeah, your account value has taken a nasty hit. But if you're mostly buying broad market index funds, maybe a tad bit of international and a few sector funds every pay period going forward, I think you'll be smiling in 20 years. No guarantees, but I think that's smarter than jumping in and out. Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

P.S. I don't think this volatility is done. As this virus spreads, I expect some more down moves and wild action intraday. IMO, the best thing to do is avoid watching CNBC, Bloomberg and the doom & gloom channels. Why get wound up listening to people who are just trying to outdo each other by screaming, "fire! fire!"?

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
https://nypost.com/2020/03/01/us-su...-to-stop-buying-masks-amid-coronavirus-panic/

"SERIOUSLY, people. STOP BUYING MASKS"
“They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!”

I get it. But you might want to NOT mention that right after the fact, it looks contradictory.

Phrasing, sir. And/or Journalists. You shouldnt mention their ineffectiveness and effectiveness at the same time. Mixed messages and all that.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Maybe I should have given up smoking, might need to stay indoors a lot this year

If you arent gonna use those, I'll take 'em. You smoke menthols, bychance? :)

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
It is kind of ironic that Trump's legacy will heavily be doomed by a virus with an mexican name. Comedy gold, right there!

Speaking of Trump, his catastrophic crisis management is showing every incompetence level that could be expected:

Putting the science-enemy Pence in charge, I hope we will hear him advise to "Pray harder, there is hope for the faithful!" or something similar
Telling total bullshit (As about every other topic) about how the epidemy will develop
The war on health care of the GOP

This will be a big issue in the 2020 elections for Trump, I guess.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
I live in Michigan. Just got home from the grocery store. Saw an Asian couple in the produce section. They were both wearing surgical masks. Just sayin'. Wash your hands a lot.

The Penis Mightier

Kameltoe Harris = Poop
Every cloud has a silver lining and I must say I've noticed the traffic in LA being way more manageable lately. Thank you, Coronavirus.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Every cloud has a silver lining and I must say I've noticed the traffic in LA being way more manageable lately. Thank you, Coronavirus.

Now THAT is the kind of 'looking on the bright side' that everybody needs!
Are people dead? So the story goes, yeah.
But statistically, doesnt that mean there are that fewer assholes in the world? So the story goes, yeah.
Do I wish specifically for any deaths? Well actually, yes.

Just imagine how many 'old politics' senators, congressmen and such will kick the bucket! They have heart attacks every few years, as it is! :)
Maybe a few hollywood actors. (Is it too early for a pre-emptive rest in peace for anybody over 70 on this list? https://deathlist.net/ )
And.. I feel that this is definitely one of those 'bright side' things,
but we always hear about how social security will run out in 20 years or fewer, right?

Welll... here's to a few less retirees! Cheers!

The Penis Mightier

Kameltoe Harris = Poop
Now THAT is the kind of 'looking on the bright side' that everybody needs!

That's how we roll out here. Walking on the sunny side of the street is stepping over a dead hobo on the way to Starbuck's.

On a tragic note me and the wife were supposed to go to Italy for our 5th Wedding Anniversary. Looks like Breakfast for Dinner at Coco's in Culver City instead.