• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Most underrated movie!!

Fight Club, Rumble in the Bronx, Menace II Society, Blow, American History X, Batman: Begins, Boys n the Hood, Goodfellas, the Longest Yard, the Mask, Minority Report and Chris Farley movies

om3ga said:
Another underrated movie is Open Your Eyes (aka Abre los ojos) - it really grates me that this is overlooked by the dire Vanilla Sky remake. The only thing they have in common is Penélope Cruz.

The original "Ringu" was also vastly superior to "The Ring" - another underrated original better than the over-hyped remake.

om3ga

It's good to be the king...
waltercoffman said:
The original "Ringu" was also vastly superior to "The Ring" - another underrated original better than the over-hyped remake.

Good God, yes!!
I nearly freaked out when I saw Ringu; when I saw the remake, my first thought was " :wtf: "

om3ga

waltercoffman said:
The Cable Guy is for me one of my top 5 funniest all time. A lot of people hated it but it is genius.

I got the feeling people weren't ready at the time to see Jim Carrey portraying such an unlikeable character.

Another underrated Carrey flick is The Truman Show (reality TV taken to the extreme).

asiandude1 said:

I really agree with this one- abso-fuckin-lutely a virtually unknown, underrated movie that was one of the few movies in the last 15-20 years to send a chill down my spine.

And asiandude, if you like that one, check out another totally underrated movie with John Cusack in it called "Identity". Great flick.

JW

Ok - since I think Ben Stiller is a genius and all his work is underrated, here is the top 10 Ben Stiller projects (and because it also does not really deserve its own thread)

10. Arrested Development – Guest Star (Tony Wonder)
9. Reality Bites – Director
8. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story – Star (White Goodman)
7. Zoolander – Producer, Writer, Star (Derek Zoolander)
6. Starsky & Hutch – Star (David Starsky)
5. Meet the Parents – Star (Gaylord Greg Focker)
4. There’s Something About Mary – Star (Ted Stroehmann)
3. Permanent Midnight – Star (Jerry Stahl)
2. The Ben Stiller Show TV Series – Star, Producer, Director, Writer
1. The Cable Guy - Director

om3ga

While on another thread regarding Dave Chapelle, I realised (through imdb) that I had seen him already - in the movie Undercover Brother, as "Conspiracy Brother."
Chapelle easily outshone Eddie Griffin (who had the lead role) and I now wish he had been starring instead. Don't get me wrong - this is a decent homage to the seventies blaxploitation movies with some good points.
But a scatter-gun approach is used with the jokes, with the effect that some will have you laughing while others will have you scratching your head.
I think Undercover Brother is more underrated than crap movie (see Pootie-Tang for the latter), but it could have been much more satirical.
PS - the soundtrack is defintely funky.

om3ga

Soldier - Kurt Russell has very little to say in this role about a dehumanized super-soldier, who re-discovers his humanity after he is replaced by a "next generation" soldier and discarded on a "garbage dump" planet.

om3ga

Felthat said:
Yeah, American History X is a classic. Very under-rated. You should check it out Scorpion.

I agree - especially by avoiding a standard "hollywood" conclusion. It was also good to see Avery Brooks in a role outside Star Trek: DS9

13th Warrior is an all time fave of mine. I rank it up there as high as 5 on my faves list. It's based on the book, Eaters Of the Dead, by Michael Crichton, who I am a fan of.

hedonis said:
I really agree with this one- abso-fuckin-lutely a virtually unknown, underrated movie that was one of the few movies in the last 15-20 years to send a chill down my spine.

And asiandude, if you like that one, check out another totally underrated movie with John Cusack in it called "Identity". Great flick.

JW
Dude I tottally forgot about that movie, thats one hell of an ending.

om3ga

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country:

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/2360/startrek6018mq.jpg

After the shambles of the previous flick (Kirk meets "God"), this was like finding an oasis in a desert. From the opening explosion of the Klingon moon Praxis (which has to be played loud on a home cinema system), to the personalised sign-off from the original ST cast, it was a touching finale for Kirk, Spock, Bones and the first Enterprise crew we grew up with.

Patrick_S

persona non grata
The Virgin Suicides: I guess most people have seen Sofia Coppolas Lost In Translation but her first movie is almost as good. A David Lynch-like dark fairytale.
Drop Dead Gorgeous: A really funny fake documentary about a beauty contest.
May: Slightly weird horror/drama about a lonely girl who comes up with a new way to "make" friends.

om3ga

under-rated hey..

i always thought starship troopers was an amazing movie!

definately in my top 5!