• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2009 NFL Draft

The Lions agreed to terms with quarterback Matthew Stafford on Friday night, assuring he will be the first overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft.

Reports varied on the contract financial terms, but it is for six years and as much as $78 million -- with $41.7 million guaranteed

Worst possible pick IMO. P.S, rookie salaries are outrageous.

Also, the Kansas City Chiefs have traded Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez to the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for a 2010 second-round draft pick

It is going to be a busy day today.

Hopefully 9ers get Maualuga at the 10 spot and not Sanchez.

The Lions agreed to terms with quarterback Matthew Stafford on Friday night, assuring he will be the first overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft.

Reports varied on the contract financial terms, but it is for six years and as much as $78 million -- with $41.7 million guaranteed

Also, the Kansas City Chiefs have traded Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez to the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for a 2010 second-round draft pick

It is going to be a busy day today.

Yeah, and I'm not really happy as a Chiefs fan with Tony. All his whining and bitching about wanting to be traded so he can get a ring, and he goes to...

Atlanta. Good luck, jackass.

Sounded also like the Chiefs were actively trying to trade out of that 3rd slot, but we'll see. If we stay in it, I'd like the team to get a beast of a pass rusher, or a good OT to balance out with last year's good pick- Branded Albert. I'm mixed on whether we would draft Aaron Curry. He's good, but our lines need the most work.

I'm hoping that Washington really, really wants to trade up to get Sanchez. :D

H

So some untested risky rookie quarterback will go to the worst team in the league, one of the worst teams ever, with a bad offense and a historically bad defense, and has just became the second highest paid person in the league in guaranteed money right behind Albert Haynes (actually I think it might be more guaranteed money.) as of today before playing a single game. He will eat up a huge chunk of the Lions cap for years to come, might not even start right away, and will take the spot that a lineman on either side of the ball could have been drafted and where the Lions desperate need people.

That makes complete sense and I see this all ending well. :rolleyes:

So some untested risky rookie quarterback will go to the worst team in the league, one of the worst teams ever, with a bad offense and a historically bad defense, and has just became the second highest paid person in the league in guaranteed money right behind Albert Haynes (actually I think it might be more guaranteed money.) as of today before playing a single game. He will eat up a huge chunk of the Lions cap for years to come, might not even start right away, and will take the spot that a lineman on either side of the ball could have been drafted and where the Lions desperate need people.

That makes complete sense and I see this all ending well. :rolleyes:

Haha ya man. Something has to be done about these rookie contracts. Nobody is worth that much coming out of college and it has gotten to the point where teams want to trade out of the 1st pick.

Couldn't agree more! I thinks it's 11 million more than any other draft pick in NFL history. They should have just stuck with Curry(who in my opinion is better anyways) and saved a lot more money.

Now, players are going to use that 78 million contract as a benchmark, making them even harder to sign.

Thanks Detroit! :thefinger

Yeah, there is even some talks that my Broncos will take Sanchez(who will be the biggest bust of them all) at the 8th spot or 12th. I pray to God that doesn't happen!

The Lions will need a lot more than a QB to fix their problems.

As long as Seattle drafts Sanchez or another good QB, they should be all set, seeing how that was their main problem last year.

As a Pats fan, I think they should get a threatening CB, really work on the defense that won them their first 2 Super Bowls.

i think the lions shoulda went with curry,they need players all over the field and could likely get by with culpepper while they rebuild. what if stafford bombs they lose all that money and that pick.the guaranteed 41 mil woulda put me off the deal,wonder what his agent began the negotiations at ? too much ,just too much money for a college qb.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue

Outrageous indeed since the list of high first-round QB draftees who have gone on to become busts far outnumber those who become stars. Think about it....$41.7 million guaranteed! That's an incredible amount of money to give someone who hasn't ever even stepped onto the field in the NFL.

Remember some of these names?

Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Kyle Boller, Ryan Leaf, David Carr, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, Matt Leinart, Jack Thompson, Vince Young, Patrick Ramsey, Michael Vick, Jim Everett, J.P. Losman, David Klingler, Jim Druckenmiller, Chuck Long, Dan McGwire, Art Schlichter, Todd Blackledge, Tony Sacca, Jeff George, Cade McNown (I could go on)....

ALLl these guys were very high draft picks and ALL of them were/are busts.

The Lions are taking a serious roll of the dice with Stafford that will cost them a shitload of cash no matter how things work out. They definitely need a cap....this is ridiculous.

I suppose my NFL Sunday Ticket prices will be going up next season....:(

Lions have a new coach and some new management (I think) so maybe they'll finally start building from the ground up the way you used to.

That used to be the way you created a championship caliber team. A team that's been bad for years gets a new coach, drafts a hotshot rookie QB, and starts building the team around him.

The Colts did it with Peyton, Parcells did it with the Pats, Johnson did it with Dallas, so I'd fully expect to see this kid under center for the Lions on opening day. Nobody's expecting them to make a run for the playoffs this year so get him in there right away so he gets the experience.

Personally...as a life-long Pats fan...I'm counting on Belichick to do most of the good wheeling and dealing behind the scenes. Like he's done the last several years.

:cool:

i dont think anything will help the lions we are always the laughing stock of the nfl

I think we're all getting a bit ahead of ourselves with our chest-thumping proclamations about BUSTS and HALL OF FAMERS. Matthew Stafford doesn't have to be a Hall of Famer for the Lambs to make back that $40mil. All he has to do is lead the team to 3 wins this year...and 6-8 next year and I think people in Detroit will call it a good pick. MIke Williams and CHarles Rodgers were actual utter busts for the Lambs. I think Matt Stafford will be a starter and a QB like a Chad Pennington type--someone who might not win a SB but can play the game. There have been plenty of QBs who get drafted in the 1st round and literally can not play the game--Drukenmiller, Akili Smith, Vince Young...etc.

Mark Sanchez will be a great QB in the NFL. Especially if he goes to a place like Denver with their WRs. I think Seattle would be a great fit for him too--he can throw it to TJ Houshamawhatever. At USC, he didn't have a great WR to throw it to. Damien Williams #18 is a solid possession-type WR for USC but I wouldn't say that USC has had any Keyshawns on their teams for years (Mike Williams was a great college WR, but he was obviously a mistake at the NFL).

I'm not willing to give up on Matt Leinart just yet. Either he couldn't beat out a veteran Hall of Famer in Kurt Warner or he is a lazy millionaire with talent but not attitude. I think it's the latter. I think Kurt Warner will get injured this season and Leinart will come off the bench and "be a Cassel" for the Cards.

I do agree that there has to be a severe NFL Rookie Salary Cap because there is too much money thrown at unproven talent. Rookie contracts need to follow the NBA model, short in length and reasonable dollar amounts. The proven young NFL talent can sign the megadeal in 3 years if they really are worth it. Matt Ryan's next contract for Atlanta is going to be in the $250Million range....($150 guaranteed I bet).

Does anyone find it strange that ESPN or none of the Sportsmegamedia sites (Fox, CBS, etc) ever go back to recent drafts and evaluate draft picks or evaluate Mel Kiper and Todd McShay's "prognostications"? I distinctly remember Kiper orgazming when the Dolphins drafted John Beck a couple years ago and as it turns out, John Beck is completely inept at playing Pro Football. So what happens to Mel Kiper? Does he get any "shit" for hyping garbage players?

An NFL Draft "guru" is the greatest job on the planet. You get to proclaim yourself a "genius" hog a lot of TV team telling NFL teams what to do and then you aren't around to "dance" when teams draft the players you've spent months orgazming over and they end up being complete garbage...it's the perfect scam industry!!

Does anyone have a website that evaluates Kiper, McShay and all the "gurus" as well as doing draft autopsies of recent drafts? Let's look at the 2005 draft, for example, and see what happened to the Top 30 players. How many are on the way to the Pro Bowl and how many are already out of the league?

This is insanity- the draft has really become a frightening animal over the years. The rumors, speculation, and overall fervor over on the chiefs forum I frequent has turned into name calling, threats to peoples' mothers, warnings of nuclear attacks, etc.

All that for KC, who drafts- no shit- ONE guy today, unless they trade down.

I think some people need to just calm down.

H

^^
Exactly. The media attention fueled by ESPN and the NFL Network has made the draft into a ridiculous spectacle.

Although fan tickets and season tickets probably go directly toward salaries...