• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2009 Mock NFL Draft

How much coaching and decision-making did Jim Schwartz do in Tennessee under Jeff Fisher? This has the makings of another Rod Marinelli nobody hire for the Lions. I take it that the Lions don't have the money to actually turn around their team so they are "going cheap" with their coaching and their team.

Sanchez is raw but in the NFL you don't have practice time limits and workout limits like you do in college. Sanchez will be able to practice everyday of the year basically...

Seeing as Matt Leinart's WRs haven't exactly lit up the NFL either (Jarrett, Smith, DOminique Byrd, Mike Williams)...I think my opinion of Leinart has improved actually. He was the only Cardinal that got off the plane against New England in that snowstorm and actually looked like a professional athlete.

Based on the hiring mistake the Lions have made--I hope neither Stafford or Sanchez go there. Let the Lions take somebody else.

Sanchez is raw, Stafford is raw, they're all raw. It's college.

One thing we're also forgetting.. Matt Cassell is dangling out there like a freakin' carrot.

Maybe it's a curse for those USC WRs like Cal QBs? And don't knock Steve Smith because I watched him all year and that dude catches everything thrown his way. If it's catchable, he's going to pull it down. The others though - total lemons.

Leinart and the snow storm is a whole other ball of wax. He lost his gig as Arizona starting QB and had to prove something in the time he played that game. And really, by that time, New England wasn't exactly playing tough D with the lead they had so I wouldn't put much stock in his performance. He lost his job for a reason, he's just not that good.

Mark Sanchez is nowhere near ready to be a NFL QB starter

Either was Matt Cassel, never started for USC and now he is a franchised by the Patriots after a very good season.

He is not ready now, but under a good QB coach and a veteran to show him the ropes, he might turn out fine.

Sanchez is raw, Stafford is raw, they're all raw. It's college.

One thing we're also forgetting.. Matt Cassell is dangling out there like a freakin' carrot.

Maybe it's a curse for those USC WRs like Cal QBs? And don't knock Steve Smith because I watched him all year and that dude catches everything thrown his way. If it's catchable, he's going to pull it down. The others though - total lemons.

Leinart and the snow storm is a whole other ball of wax. He lost his gig as Arizona starting QB and had to prove something in the time he played that game. And really, by that time, New England wasn't exactly playing tough D with the lead they had so I wouldn't put much stock in his performance. He lost his job for a reason, he's just not that good.

What are the Patriots looking for a #1 and a couple other picks for Cassell? Cassell might be great in the Pat's system, looked how they plugged in Brady so well. Is he the next Matt Schaub? A good QB and team that is up and down, but showed some promise at the end of the year.

I think Stafford is the only safe pick with his pro-style experience, but at #1? He maybe is this years Matt Ryan on the "right team", that is indicative on all fresh from college QB's.

I like him[Sanchez] better than Stafford or Bradford for that matter.

None of the QB's this year (including Bradford, Tebow, McCoy-if they came out) are Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. I think Sanchez will have to best career out of any of those guys.

Bradford is way better than Sanchez! Bradford can make every single throw with a lot of accuratcy and never turns the ball over. Sanchez is just a one year wonder(if you call that a great year) who just plays for a over hyped program.

Either was Matt Cassel, never started for USC and now he is a franchised by the Patriots after a very good season.

He is not ready now, but under a good QB coach and a veteran to show him the ropes, he might turn out fine.

But Cassel did have the advantage of learning the Pats system for years before starting.

The Lions need a new one of everything. Taking an offensive lineman #1 is just silly. #1 picks are reserved for DE, QB and RB. Anything else taken first overall must be a transcendent player at that position. Sure, the defense couldn't stop a pop warner team, but with talent like Kevin Smith and the most underrated WR in the league, Calvin Johnson, on your offense, you could possibly win a few games this year with a top tier QB.

If a lot of picks means two, then yes, they have a lot. #1 and #20.

The Giants mortgaged many years of their draft picks for a QB, drafted only 3 spots ahead of where they were picking! It's absurd to think the Lions will do anything else but draft a player who will become the main component of this potentially very good offense. You can find some wonderful talent to play defense at picks #20 and #33, but you'll never find the caliber of QB that Stafford is.

Is Mark Sanchez really all that good or is does he simply look like a stud with all of the talent around him? Matt Leinart anyone?

Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas, Jonathan Ogden, Jake long, Ryan Clady all 1st round picks that are future hall of famers or very strong up and comers. You need a very solid LT to run any offensive in the NFL. Look at last year's draft,
7 OT's were taken in the 1st round, sounds like a very important pick in my book and to NFL teams.

I agree that Stafford is a fine pick, but again at #1? I would rather find someone in the 2nd or 3rd round and let the current QB's duke it out for the starting position. Detroit has a very poor record with 1st round QB's; Andre Ware, Harrington, Long, Peete....

But Cassel did have the advantage of learning the Pats system for years before starting.

I agree, I noted that in another post...

The Pat's system seems to work with whoever you plug in due to a great (hate him) coach, very good coaching staff, strong front office (losing Pioli will hurt), owner who spends on free agents, and excellent picks (jared Mayo)in the draft.

I think Detroit should fix the o-line and defense and get a qb next year especially since this year is loaded at those areas

red001

All this talk of the Lions taking a QB.We'll never see how good he is/will be on his back every play seeing as how the Lions have a shit O-Line. We Also won't see Kevin Smith do anything because the shit line can't open any holes. yeah. QB is the MOST IMPORTANT need for the lions. Really. It is.

Bradford is way better than Sanchez! Bradford can make every single throw with a lot of accuratcy and never turns the ball over. Sanchez is just a one year wonder(if you call that a great year) who just plays for a over hyped program.

Bradford cant do shit unless he has an amazing line of protection in front of him. Look what happened when Florida got pressure on him.

Sanchez has mobility and can also throw accurate. He only threw two more interceptions than Bradford.

Some of the credit of Bradfords padded stats needs to be given to the Offensive line of Oaklahoma, which was probably the best in the country.

Bradford cant do shit unless he has an amazing line of protection in front of him. Look what happened when Florida got pressure on him.

Sanchez has mobility and can also throw accurate. He only threw two more interceptions than Bradford.

Some of the credit of Bradfords padded stats needs to be given to the Offensive line of Oaklahoma, which was probably the best in the country.

I agree, Sam Bradford does have the best offensive line... BUT WHO CARES? So Tom Brady and Peyton Manning don't? Whatever team Sam Bradford plays for will probably have to rebuild, but give him time to throw and he will give you greatness. All Bradford did was just have one of the greatest years any QB has ever had. I know if I give Bradford good players and offensive line, he will excel that team to the highest degree, just like he did at Oklahoma.

So you're telling me that USC offense was highly overrated and Mark Sanchez just carried it. Why was it so average, and why couldnt he beat Oregan St? Whats so great about Mark Sanchez? He's mobile and has a good arm(not even the 2nd best).

Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas, Jonathan Ogden, Jake long, Ryan Clady all 1st round picks that are future hall of famers or very strong up and comers. You need a very solid LT to run any offensive in the NFL. Look at last year's draft,
7 OT's were taken in the 1st round, sounds like a very important pick in my book and to NFL teams.

I agree that Stafford is a fine pick, but again at #1? I would rather find someone in the 2nd or 3rd round and let the current QB's duke it out for the starting position. Detroit has a very poor record with 1st round QB's; Andre Ware, Harrington, Long, Peete....

Those guys are certainly hall of famers or very capable big fellas ready to protect their leader at all costs. I'm not denying the importance of the O-line, since they are the reason my Giants had two RBs get 1000+ yards on the ground this year. I just don't see using such a valuable pick on a player who is not going to get your fans, who are on the brink of losing all interest, into your stadium, buying his jersey, and paying for whatever else the kid can market. Why not draft a kid who will at least give your team some "hope".. it worked for Obama.

Once again, I couldn't care less with what they do with the pick, but if they do go ho-hum and draft a snoozer, then taking a QB in the second or third round might be wasteful as well. For me, I see the Lions have a top 3 pick overall in 2010 and maybe then Bradford can come onto the scene and get Calvin Johnson the pro bowl for once. Use the 2009 draft to staple together your O and D lines and groove with Orlovsky and Stanton? Could be a winning formula, although very slow to develop.

ChefChiTown

The secret ingredient? MY BALLS

No quarterback can do shit without protection. Not even Joseph Clifford Montana Jr.

I think that a lot of the credit needs to be given to offensive linemen, no matter who the quarterback is.

Great quarterbacks with a shitty line, become mediocre quarterbacks. Mediocre quarterbacks with a good line, become great quarterbacks.

Skyraider22

The One and Only Big Daddy
Is it me:I am watching the Senior Bowl practice and USC has a lot of players out there and they all look good is anyone eles watching it is on the NFL Network the senior Bowl is Saturday night:glugglug:

The Lions need a new one of everything. Taking an offensive lineman #1 is just silly. #1 picks are reserved for DE, QB and RB. Anything else taken first overall must be a transcendent player at that position.

Picking a RB as the first pick is one of the worst decisions a team can do. There is almost never a good reason to do it. Even people that are thought to be transcendent payers at that position bust half the time, like Reggie Bush, and there are countless decent RBs that are fungible with each other. QB is a pretty risky pick there also, especially without other good parts on a team to back him up, but at least a good QB will has the ability to improve your team immensely for years to come if you get it right. Picking a good lineman first when you have a glaring weakness at that position is probably the smartest and safest bet when you need to build.

As far as getting fans into a stadium. In any sport there is nothing gets fans into a stadium more than winning. Anything that doesn't maximze your chances of winning both short and long term (within the rules) shouldn't be done.

ChefChiTown

The secret ingredient? MY BALLS
Picking a RB as the first pick is one of the worst decisions a team can do.

How can you say that? Have you forgotten about Curtis Enis, Rashaan Salaam, Ki-Jana Carter, Tyrone Wheatley, Lawrence Phillips, Ron Dayne...

Hmm...maybe you're right.

^^^^
True, but then You Miss out on guys like Adrian Petterson. It's always a risk, but you got to make sure you have a solid offensive line.

...but then there's those hidden gems later in the rounds.

as much as Detroit needs many things without a good o-line a qb is worthless look at happened to david carr or for that matter any qb in Oakland since 2003. i know it's not sexy but fixing your lines will keep your qb healthy look at how well Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco did with good protection. If in free agency Detroit can fix the lines but if i where them i'd draft a de or cb before a qb they are greater needs

red001

The Lions are stupid, I am positive they will, without a doubt will make exactly the wrong choice in this draft. So don't worry Ram, Chief, and Seahawk fans, your team will get their guy.