• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL '17/'18 Thread (2017/2018 National Hockey League)

OK. If this were their third season, they made the playoffs and somehow managed to make it to the Cup finals I would not be so blown away. The fact that they are a first-year expansion team that is the top seed in the West halfway through the year is what makes this so extraordinary. If they manage to beat the Blues tonight it will be the longest winning streak for a first-year expansion club in any professional sport EVER.

That's impressive. They're doin' some things for sure.

I'd like to see them win it all...for all the victims of that shooting. Dedicate it to them. Start their franchise off with a Cup.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
I'd like to see them win it all...for all the victims of that shooting. Dedicate it to them. Start their franchise off with a Cup.

No offense to the victims but....we are 50 years in and still waiting so NO FUCKING WAY do I want to see them win it all!!!! :eek:

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
I woke up in a cold sweat last night after dreaming (or perhaps having a nightmare is more appropriate?) that VGK won the Cup in their inaugural season while me and all the other long-suffering Blues faithful are STILL waiting for our first taste of the precious nectar that flows from Lord Stanley's silver chalice after FIFTY-ONE YEARS. I can just imagine it now....some millennial chick in a Knights jersey giving wild fist-pumps while screaming drunken "Waaa-Hooos" at the T-Mobile Center and then asking her seatmate what "icing" means. Jealousy you say? OK....yeah, if it were to happen it's fucking goddamn jealousy all right!!!

Surely it cannot happen. Right? I mean, they are a fucking EXPANSION team! :eek: :facepalm: :eek: :mad:

Rod....talk me in off the ledge....please! :brick:

BCT

Pucker Up Butter Cup.
I woke up in a cold sweat last night after dreaming (or perhaps having a nightmare is more appropriate?) that VGK won the Cup in their inaugural season while me and all the other long-suffering Blues faithful are STILL waiting for our first taste of the precious nectar that flows from Lord Stanley's silver chalice after FIFTY-ONE YEARS. I can just imagine it now....some millennial chick in a Knights jersey giving wild fist-pumps while screaming drunken "Waaa-Hooos" at the T-Mobile Center and then asking her seatmate what "icing" means. Jealousy you say? OK....yeah, if it were to happen it's fucking goddamn jealousy all right!!!

Surely it cannot happen. Right? I mean, they are a fucking EXPANSION team! :eek: :facepalm: :eek: :mad:

At least when Colorado did it in year 1 it was with an already built Quebec team. This is crazy though.

I wish I could, but the reality is that it can happen (although I obviously don't think it will). Here's why I think it's possible. And, in fact, it's the explanation for how they've been so successful so far as a first-year expansion franchise. The league (on Gary Bettman's orders) has made it happen. I didn't realize it until I watched their recent game against my Edmonton Oilers (which the Oilers did win in overtime). There were several inexcusably ridiculous penalties that went in the Golden Knights' favor (they went 0/6 on the PP). That's when it clued in for me. And I can't believe I didn't think of it before. It's so obvious, and it fits right in with Gary Bettman's MO.

First of all, it was Gary Bettman's dream for years to expand to Las Vegas despite the many reasons to believe that it was an ill-advised venture. Ensuring (through corruption and cheating) that the new team is successful allows for Bettman to say: "See, it worked just like I knew it would". Also, it brings the NHL a lot of attention because it can be framed as a "great story". Secondly, corruption from officials has been rampant and, frankly, quite transparent, in the NHL for many many years. Anyone who has watched a Montreal Canadiens playoff series in the last ten years can attest to that; they are handicapped by one-sided officiating in every game they play. And last year it happened with the Oilers as well; I don't care that I'm a fan of theirs and they're my team, anybody watching the series against the Ducks has to concede that the officials completely fucked over the Oilers. I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say that the Oilers would've won that series in five games (handily) instead of losing in seven had it not been for the officiating. The Ducks were struggling with attendance and revenue at the time, so Bettman ensured that they had a deep playoff run to try to boost them back up in an important American market. (And this is a common thing in Bettman's playbook; I could cite a bunch more examples).

And what do the Oilers and Canadiens have in common? A few things: 1) A rich history with championships under their belts (so no need to bring them their first Cup and see what that does for the city and the fan base). 2) A large and loyal fan base that is not going to abandon them after a few (or in the case of the Oilers, many many many) bad years/playoffs. 3) They're Canadian teams in Canadian markets and we all know that Bettman is 100% about growing the game in America.

So, yes, I could see them winning the Cup if Bettman orders it. But probably not because the refs can only do so much when one team is far-and-away better than the other, as was the case in the Predators-Ducks series following the Oilers playoff exit last year. They tried to do the same thing, but the Predators were just too much better for it to work.

Like I said, I can't believe I didn't think of it before...

Can someone please tell the Boston Bruins they can start losing some games?
They have definitely put themselves in Cup contention.I still think they should not have traded Seguin to the Dallas Stars,though.

Noticed that no one has posted on here for awhile.
I wonder where all the NHL experts went?
Where are all the experts that chastised me for posting that the Golden Knights were an elite,top of the line NHL team?
Which I was posting about very early in the season.Read the firsts few pages in this thread for proof.
Is there anyone that wants to come on here and post that the Knights will eventually fall back to earth?
Anyone want to post that they are an expansion team and will fall back into their proper place?
I didn’t think so.
Wow,there is around 10 games left for every team.I guess that is enough time for the Knights to fall out of the playoff race.

Attachments

• 111B8203-5F6E-4103-A1C2-5C0CBC28F46F.jpeg
    111B8203-5F6E-4103-A1C2-5C0CBC28F46F.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 159
Soooo, Vegas is in. It's going to be hard for people not to cheer them on.
Any other season I'd be indifferent, but it would really be neat to see them win this year, just to see it happen it happen once in history.

The only bad thing about this year’s Stanley Cup is the expectations of some Vegas fans.They’re going to think that their team will go far in the playoffs every year.Jesus Christ,I’m a Toronto Maple Leafs fan and they have not been to a Stanley Cup final since 1967.����