• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Why isn't football / soccer that popular in North America, United States / USA ?

Why isn't Soccer popular in America?

• Total voters
Re: Why Isn't Soccer Popular in America?

I've watched a few games with my bro-in law who's from Morocco. It's somewhat interesting, but I never really saw anything that made me go "holy shit!". The fact that anybody who gets breathed on falls down in a heap makes me think that the league is composed exclusively of ex montreal canadiens players. One thing I have to give it is the crowd atmosphere. there's a shitload of ppl there and they're all chanting and going nuts the whole time. I'd definitely like to go see a european game some time just to check it out.

The funny thing is in my experience most American kids are on a soccer team from the ages of 5 to 13. Just about every kid in southern California plays soccer. I live in Colorado now and when I run through the park in the summer I see the field littered with different soccer games going on with kids of all ages. I mean where do you think the term soccer mom came from? It’s because every kid plays soccer, and now there unemployed mom has to go to every Saturday game. Even though most kids grew up playing soccer it’s so boring to watch on TV it does not stick. They all get converted over to football because that’s a mans game.

You're not watching the right team or league.

The funny thing is in my experience most American kids are on a soccer team from the ages of 5 to 13. Just about every kid in southern California plays soccer. I live in Colorado now and when I run through the park in the summer I see the field littered with different soccer games going on with kids of all ages. I mean where do you think the term soccer mom came from? It’s because every kid plays soccer, and now there unemployed mom has to go to every Saturday game. Even though most kids grew up playing soccer it’s so boring to watch on TV it does not stick. They all get converted over to football because that’s a mans game.

:noway:

P131e264414a9_Zdeno_Chara_Koci.JPG

davidkoci_large.jpg

I've watched a few games with my bro-in law who's from Morocco. It's somewhat interesting, but I never really saw anything that made me go "holy shit!". The fact that anybody who gets breathed on falls down in a heap makes me think that the league is composed exclusively of ex montreal canadiens players. One thing I have to give it is the crowd atmosphere. there's a shitload of ppl there and they're all chanting and going nuts the whole time. I'd definitely like to go see a european game some time just to check it out.
An Old firm game is the best experience ever. We hate each other, so the atmosphere is always crazy. Always the only games that sell out here aswell

the biggest reason why i dont like soccer is that they always crawl on their knees like they are dying or something when somebody touches them.
and because there is no time stoppage you can melt the clock in the last 10 minutes and thats just hard to watch

the biggest reason why i dont like soccer is that they always crawl on their knees like they are dying or something when somebody touches them.
and because there is no time stoppage you can melt the clock in the last 10 minutes and thats just hard to watch

you could say alot of that stuff about american football though. fucking injury timeouts every other play, come back from commercial and the dude is fucking fine. also the last 5 minutes can be an absolute snore when one team is just trying to kill the clock by using the entire play clock.

We also have less adverts. The play is constant for 45 minutes then we have a 15 minute break for another 45 minute half. Stoppages are idiotic

you could say alot of that stuff about american football though. fucking injury timeouts every other play, come back from commercial and the dude is fucking fine. also the last 5 minutes can be an absolute snore when one team is just trying to kill the clock by using the entire play clock.
Yes, but basketball is the worst. Turn on a game when there is just a minute-ten to go. Game won't be over for another 15 minutes, lol. I hate that game. I would watch soccer before I would watch basketball.

The last 10 are the best time of the match.

We also have less adverts. The play is constant for 45 minutes then we have a 15 minute break for another 45 minute half. Stoppages are idiotic
The best part about the game. Football can get so redundant with all the stoppages and timeouts.

So let me see if I have this right. Time stoppages for injuries is idiotic. Playing past regulation time to compensate for injuries makes perfect sense. Nobody knows how much time will be added and it's probably going to end in a tie anyways.:facepalm:

I have seen really exciting matches and some real snoozers. I can say the same thing about every other sport. Soccer just seems to have more of the coma inducing matches than other sports. Still better than golf though.

So let me see if I have this right. Time stoppages for injuries is idiotic. Playing past regulation time to compensate for injuries makes perfect sense. Nobody knows how much time will be added and it's probably going to end in a tie anyways.:facepalm:

I have seen really exciting matches and some real snoozers. I can say the same thing about every other sport. Soccer just seems to have more of the coma inducing matches than other sports. Still better than golf though.
Injury timeouts in football are idiotic, yes. If they were legitimately hurt, that'd be fine, but 9/10 times, I'm fairly certain they just wanted to get away with not having to use an actual time out. Take hockey... you get hurt, you better get your ass to the bench. And most of the time, they get hurt, then get back up as quick as they can and throw their body in front of a 98 mph clapper.

I've never seen added time go past about 5 minutes.

Everyone says that football players fall when a gust of wind hits them, and to an extent it's true. But it doesn't happen all the time like you suggest.

I hate simulation, it has no place in football and is basically cheating. It doesn't happen in every match and everyone is trying to cut down on it. If you try to deceive the referee, and he knows, you get booked. If he doesn't see it, they tend to catch it on the replays after the game. If it's a clear dive, you can be banned for about 3 games. At least that's what they do here anyway.

It doesn't hold my interest.

My kids play it and I enjoy their games, but it gets kind of redundant after a while.

It is probably just what you are familiar with. I played some rugby, but not too much soccer. Perhaps my kids will enjoy soccer more than I do.

senorzorro

Banned

I guess the best players play in Europe... Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Torres, Modric, Sneijder...

Last week's ManU-Arsenal game was seen by 1.3 million viewers. The game was the first live telecast of an EPL game on a U.S. over-the-air network. The next EPL match on Fox will be ManU-Chelsea on Super Bowl Sunday. I can't wait, it's gonna be a good way to start of the day

The game I'm watching just now on ESPN is Bighton vs Newcastle. It's not the best game I've ever seen but I'll watch just about any football that is on the tv.

I think ESPN America here really shows the most popular U.S sports as I've never seen football on there. Generally all they show is live CBB and NFL. Sometimes they play baseball aswell. But the vast majority of the things they show has something to do with American football