• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Why isn't football / soccer that popular in North America, United States / USA ?

Why isn't Soccer popular in America?

• Total voters
Re: Why Isn't Soccer Popular in America?

I don't think it's not popular, just not as popular as the "big 3".

You mean big four of course.

Personally, I just find it so boring (I'm Canadian btw). It's actually the sport I most dislike. This isn't to say it's not entertaining to someone else of course. My favorite sport is hockey, followed by basketball. I can watch an inning or two of baseball before getting bored and football isn't really my thing. Just personal taste I guess, I find the sport lame. You have a huge net, how is the score not 50-49 every game. They either miss the net or kick it within two feet of the goaltender. And (from what I've seen), it's kind of a pansy sport. It's full of cardio, and the guys are in great shape, but it seems like if you touch someone play stops (yes I realize the same could be said for basketball). Honestly, with a choice between watching soccer and say, darts, I would watch darts. But like I said, I don't watch it, so stuff I've said could be wrong, but I just find it such a lame sport. That being said, it does have more coverage on TSN Sportscentre lately, so it must be gaining popularity.

But to each their own! Just stating my opinion :)

Btw, does anyone else remember when Mark Wahlberg mouthed off about David Beckham...LoL, I bet Beckham switched houses pretty quick, Wahlberg has no rage control.

Actually it should be popular more than other games bc all the kids play soccer first in USA... Than starts American football and basketball... Girls and boys they all can play soccer I mean Football easily and learn it quick...

Probably for the same reasons why American Football isn't popular in Europe.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement

Probably for the same reasons why American Football isn't popular in Europe.

Why isn't American football popular in Europe? How about someone explain this?

bahodeme

Closed Account

^^^^
Exactly. A few years ago, someone at one of the colleges took the actual playing time of a typical NFL game. If count from the play starts until the whistle stops the play or there is a score, the playing time is less than 15 minutes for the entire game.

^^^^
Exactly. A few years ago, someone at one of the colleges took the actual playing time of a typical NFL game. If count from the play starts until the whistle stops the play or there is a score, the playing time is less than 15 minutes for the entire game.
And that is one of many reasons why American Football is low on my list of favorite sports. The penalties and time outs are about as bad as the NBA, which is even lower on my favorites list.

I heard that, before the Soccer World Cup USA '94, US networks tried to put some pressure on the FIFA to have some kind of time-out in the middle of each half-time so that these networks could broadcast some advertisment. Thank God FIFA never accepted that...

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND

There's, what, one whole minute of commercial in Football?

In my opinion it is, because soccer has a certain kind of "culture" in europe or south america. and this culture (the supporters,the history etc. ) is different to the typical us-sports. you can´t have such a thing with franchises. i mean look at the old firm in glasgow or el classico in spain . the history of these games is in a way the mirror picture of the history and present situation of the whole society there. i love the nba but they will never have this kind of stuff. and of course most of the american sports have more action, but it will never outclass the feeling that you have, when you stand in your stadium and beat the rival team :)

Total audience of the Superbowl 2012 : 166.000.000
Total audience of the World Cup 2010 Final : 909.000.000

Numbers of countries members of the International Federation of American Football : 45
Numbers of countries members of the International Federation of Association Football : 208

So, which is popular and which is not ?

Both are popular. What are you trying to prove with those numbers? You're comparing the total viewers of a more global game for an international tournament to the viewers of a single American league championship game. Hmmm I wonder which will have more viewers.

Also, soccer is popular here. It's like saying hockey isn't popular in Russia. It is, but the talent just plays somewhere else. We have soccer leagues. Kids grow up playing soccer. 25 million Americans watched the last World Cup. How is that not popular?

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to

Why has this subject been resurrected from it's cold dark grave?

The horn. You know that annoying horn that some drunken asshole in the crowd keeps blowing? It's the most offensive and irritating noise in the world and it overpowers every other earthly sound. My next door neighbor had one of those. That's how I would know he was drunk, because he would bring that plastic fart noise funnel out and rip away. I wanted to jam the thing down his throat. I'm willing to bet that it causes a lot of people to change the channel, losing the FIAA viewers. It has made it's way to the U.S., because I was noticing it at the Chicago Fire game a couple of days ago. It's like someone dragging a table across the floor with a dying cow farting on it.