• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Stern to quit Sirius...

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Howard Stern is threatening to leave Sirius XM Radio Inc. now that the shock jock and the satellite radio provider are getting set to enter contract talks in 2010.

That threat probably seems less daunting to Sirius than it once would have. Sirius originally wanted Stern so badly that it gave him the most lucrative radio contract ever, a five-year deal that started in 2006 and paid him $500 million in cash and stock.

Today, he doesn't have many places left to go - at least if he wants another huge payday.

Free radio stations are struggling with steep drops in advertising and high debt loads, and probably can't pay top dollar to get Stern back to the medium where he began. He also likely would chafe at being censored again after enjoying the freedom of satellite radio, where his racy banter hasn't been subject to federal restrictions on language and content.

He can't switch to another satellite radio provider - Sirius swallowed the only other one, XM, last year.

So if Stern, 55, does re-sign with Sirius, it's likely to be for less this time around.

Article

He could start his own radio or satellite company.

Does he have his own satellites?

Nope. He claims that he can continue the gravy train with something like a Podcast or internet radio.

Stern has been hinting at it for months now. I've listened to him since I was 12, but I'm cancelling when my subscription's up in January. The show has gotten really really dull and stale. Unless you like hearing about trips to the Hamptons or dinners executives that nobody knows, it's not worth listening to.

^
It was stale before he left for Sirius. I think he's pretty much done everything. It's time for the King of All Media to go away....or run for Congress :dunno:

I remember listening to him a bit when I lived on the east coast, he said something funny in 95 or 96, did anbody else on here catch that. I can't quite remember what it was but it really stuck out from the rest of the shows. Anybody?

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Some of you are bitter. :tongue:

Stern did what so many want to do but don't have the backbone to do.
That is attack and yell at his employer on the air.

For that...:hatsoff:

Stern didn't let his employer walk all over him. Like many of you do.

Pig vomit. :thefinger

I'm pretty sure he couldn't fund his own satellites and get the money to get NASA to send another shuttle up there. He pretty much has only two options: retire or take less money from Sirius. Why would they pay him more when they can probably find some other host to do the same thing but with less pay? Not to mention the other radio hosts they probably have on their with a similar format.

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
The ball is in his court pretty much. He can resign for less, go online and do podcasts. I doubt if he will go back to regular radio. I remember he was on WBCN in Boston, but back in August they became a sports radio station. So who knows.

I'm pretty sure he couldn't fund his own satellites and get the money to get NASA to send another shuttle up there. He pretty much has only two options: retire or take less money from Sirius. Why would they pay him more when they can probably find some other host to do the same thing but with less pay? Not to mention the other radio hosts they probably have on their with a similar format.

I don't think Stern can be replaced. There's no doubt that he got millions to shell out hard earned money to listen to radio. As disappointed as I am about the recent direction of the show, he still did something incredible. Bubba, Opie and Anthony, Mancow, etc., etc. failed to do what he did in satellite radio.

And if Stern does leave, XM-Sirius is dead. You can't maintain a that kind of an outfit with only truckers subscribing.

The funny thing is that, since I do listen, I really have no idea how irrelevant and forgotten Stern is outside of the Stern Show universe.

He's not leaving for sure...it's all speculation at this point. As a HUGE fan, I hope he sticks around and does something. If satellite is not in the future, his own internet radio show and podcast could be a possibility. Moving to the afternoon or late morning might work too...he hates the schedule most of all, getting up so early and all. Testicular radio is out of the question...he doesn't want to deal with that shit again, I'm almost positive of that. FUCK THE FCC!

STERN RULES!

Stinks like contract negotations.

Exactly.

Jason Ellis is the future of radio.
Not quite. I think some folks jumped on that bandwagon because he was on Stern's show once and Howard himself said he could possibly be the future. I've listened to his show and I'm sorry but he is not even close to Howard Stern. Anyways, I was done with the medium of radio. Howard on Sirius is what brought me back. I'm happy for it too. :hatsoff: :2 cents:

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I remember listening to him a bit when I lived on the east coast, he said something funny in 95 or 96, did anbody else on here catch that. I can't quite remember what it was but it really stuck out from the rest of the shows. Anybody?

1996. I remember it distinctly. Not because the show was particularly funny (it wasn't), but because it was raining that evening and I left my car windows down. My car had a musty smell for several days after that, and that smell made me think of Howard Stern.

I used to listen to the Greaseman when I lived in NoVA. But I never cared for Stern. :dunno:

Exactly.

Not quite. I think some folks jumped on that bandwagon because he was on Stern's show once and Howard himself said he could possibly be the future. I've listened to his show and I'm sorry but he is not even close to Howard Stern. Anyways, I was done with the medium of radio. Howard on Sirius is what brought me back. I'm happy for it too. :hatsoff: :2 cents:

I don't think Howard seriously said that. He was commenting about Ellis saying it.I think Ellis got his fans when Bubba killed his Sirius exclusivity and started doing terrestrial markets in Tampa. Fans were pissed...and they should be.

Personally, I can't stand Bubba...even when he did live Sirius shows Mon-Fri. And I don't get Ellis' appeal at all. That's why I listen to Jay Thomas. I actually look forward to the Friday morning 101 show more than I do Howard's live Mon-Fri shows.

Anyway, I think Stern and Sirius knows that he no longer has the ability to attract new subscribers. Younger folks aren't aware of him/don't listen to the radio and his older fans either jumped on already or they moved on. Trying to convince anybody to pay $60+ plus $13 a month to listen to a 56 year old man do a commercial-filled radio show 4 days a week isn't exactly an easy thing to do. If you think about it, the last live show was Thursday. There will be 17 days until another live show.