• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Pete Rose: Birthday/ Hall of Fame

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
MLB Hit King Pete Rose Turning 70: Hall of Fame Vote Would Be Nice Birthday Gift

Baseball's all-time hits leader is still staring through the pearly gates of the Hall of Fame from the outside, as he approaches a milestone in his life. Pete Rose will turn 70 years old this week, and he's still waiting for the call from Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig.

Will he ever get the call? Does he deserve to get the call? Will one of America's top professional athletes in history ever receive the highest honor bestowed in his sport? I'm quite sure he carries a blackberry, but it ain't buzzin'. It should be, however.

Look, it's been a very, very, very long time. And Pete isn't getting any younger. Hard to believe he's gonna be 70 years old Thursday. Time is passing quickly. Hasn't he suffered enough?

He's been banned from baseball since 1989. C'mon, who are we kidding here? How much punishment is enough? I know what you're saying. And I understand there are issues. But the man has paid his dues on this one, as serious as they may be, and it's time. Isn't it?

Article

He created baseball history long before, when he slammed into Ray Fosse in the 1970 All-Star game. Knocked him over. Fumbled the ball. Rose scores, National League wins, and Fosse was never the same. Classic baseball moment with Rose the guiding force.

Do not stand in the baseline. :nono::1orglaugh

Hank Aaron: Rose belongs in Hall of Fame

"I would certainly like to see him in," Aaron said. "He belongs in, really. His career is one that he needs to be right here in the middle of all of this."

Article

I'm fairly certain PR admitted to betting on his teams. Whether or not he bet for them to win or lose, I don't know, but that's some pretty egregious stuff IMO. OTOH, as far as we know he was never a juicer like some of this generations heros, so that's a plus. I guess I am undecided on whether or not PR should be in the Hall.

I would say no to the Hall of Fame. Of course he holds a great record and his playing career certainly warrants him being in the HOF, but he did bet on baseball. That is a rule that has been a constant for generations and he knew the risks. I understand the idea that he would be getting in for his playing statistics, but when he was banned, it was from the game as a whole. I will say that MLB created a grey area when they allowed him to participate in the on field recognition for his selection to the ALL Century team during the 1999 W.S. They should have been steadfast in their convictions and banned him from that as well.

ps-He finally admitted that he did bet on his teams, but only for them to win. But who knows? He might have lied about that too.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
I always thought if you bet on your team to win its no big deal.
If you bet on your team to lose (as manager) then that's corrupt.

I know he admitted betting on The Reds, but did he every say he bet against them?

1965-Topps-Pete-Rose.jpg

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Rose was a great player.

I know he admitted betting on The Reds, but did he every say he bet against them?

1965-Topps-Pete-Rose.jpg

However as a manager -- It's not that.... Let's say he has Mario Soto or Jose Rijo as his starting pitchers. And Norm Charlton, Brad Leslie, Rob Dibble and Randy Myers in the bullpen. These were Red players when he was managing.

If he bets against the Reds, maybe he'll overpitch Soto. Instead of six innings he pitches him for seven and 2/3. By that time, the Reds have lost the lead or maybe he brings in the wrong pitcher Leslie, instead of Dibble.

Same with betting for the Reds, he pitches Rijo for 5 innings, Leslie for one inning, Charlton or Dibble for an inning, and Myers to close it out.

When selecting lineups and pinch hitters late in the game. If he wants to lose the game he does things backwards...

Outcomes of games can be manipulated. That's why Rose is on MLB's Inelligible List. And not in the HOF. And that's fine by me.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
It's not that.... Let's say he has Mario Soto or Jose Rijo as his starting pitchers. And Norm Charlton, Brad Leslie, Rob Dibble and Randy Myers in the bullpen. These were Red players when he was managing.

If he bets against the Reds, maybe he'll overpitch Soto. Instead of six innings he pitches him for seven and 2/3. By that time, the Reds have lost the lead or maybe he brings in the wrong pitcher Leslie, instead of Dibble.

Same with betting for the Reds, he pitches Rijo for 5 innings, Leslie for one inning, Charlton or Dibble for an inning, and Myers to close it out.

When selecting lineups and pinch hitters late in the game. If he wants to lose the game he does things backwards...

Outcomes of games can be manipulated. That's why Rose is on MLB's Inelligible List. And not in the HOF. And that's fine by me.

yeah but if you bet on your team to win then your only inscentive is to win which is the whole idea.....thats why I don't think that is a problem

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Pete Rose produced betting slips of who he picked (bet on) --- "Philadelphia in August"... Could be the Eagles (preseason)?, He said football. But it could be the Phillies (against the Reds) Hmmmmmm. Then the investigator, John Dowd, pulled up betting slips saying "Philadelphia in July" - definitely the Phillies (against the Reds).. Hmmmmmm??

Plus they had him in taped telephone conversations with that Cincinnati bookmaker. Everyone knew then he was betting baseball.

And that's not permitted. :nono:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/p_rosea.shtml

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
I thought Pete got caught cutting balls with a card of some sort? :dunno:

That was Joe Niekro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KKKhpAmU34

he chucked it on the ground as if no one would see.........what a maroon.

my opinion on this is been the same for 20 years.
He didn't cheat when he was a player as far as we know and it was his actions as a player that should have got him into the hall.....not after.
I mean what if he was managing and got caught betting after he was inducted?
would they kick him out?

Ah Shit, Thanx Meester, All this time I though it was poor old Pete :facepalm: I was just a kid back then but I agree with you, he was such a great player, they should allow him in the Hall Of Fame for his accomplishments.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Rose's uniforms, his helmets, his bats, his gloves, his spikes, and his pictures are all in Cooperstown. He just doesn't have a plaque and rightly so. He's on MLB's inelligible list. Any form of gambling in baseball is forbidden. It goes back to the first Yankee captain, Hal Chase in the 1910s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Chase

He along with the other Chicago Blacksox: "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, Eddie Cicotte, Claude "Lefty" Williams, Arnold "Chick" Gandil, Charles "Swede" Risberg, Fred McMillian, Buck Weaver, and Oscar "Happy" Felsch. Although they were found innocent in a court. However, they were banned in 1920 by the first Commisioner of Baseball, Judge Kinnesaw Moutain Landis. Because the intergrity of the game was called into question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal

That story is well documented in Eliot Asinof's novel, Eight Men Out.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
yes yes yes but those jabroni's threw the series.
There's still no proof that charlie hustle threw any games.
Ok........technically your right, but I'm sure there's a lot of rules that have been broken by hall of famers.
I mean leaving Pete out of the baseball hall of fame is almost like leaving Jesus out of the christian hall of fame...........uh, or something.

Johnny Bench gets pissed

Pete made big mistake but after sometime he admitted that the gambled on games. But he should be in the Hall of Fame. He seems to really feel bad about it. Beside Hank Aaron feels that Pete should be in the Hall and Hank's record was broken by a true cheater in Barry Bonds

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!
I've a feeling Pete will make The Hall, but he will not live to see it. Just a gut feeling.
What hurt him most was the years of denial - I don't think it was until around 2005 that he finally admitted to it...and he did so by selling autographed baseballs that said "Sorry I bet on baseball" - not exactly an honorable way to come clean.
No way he bet against the Reds. Pete might not be the smartest nor the most honorable guy - but he loved whatever team he played with, whether they be the Reds, Phillies or Expos. Always, that team was his passion, and he could not have been able to stomach betting against his team.

I agree.
And as far as I know there's no evidence he ever did the latter.
I also agree with Stan Scratch that would be very uncharacteristic of him.

If I had a vote he'd already be in the Hall.