• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL 2008-2009 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member979979

Closed Account
It amuses me how much these players sell penalties. Your a 6'3 hockey player and a little slash or cross check from behind sends you flying to the ground. :1orglaugh

icerfan

Nikkala made me do it!
I'll be shocked if Dupuis doesn't get suspended for that elbowing penalty.

Ugh. What a terrible game that was. By the end of the second I was watching the USA-Honduras World Cup qualifier on ESPN. This was bad.

Wings finish 'em off in Pitt in game 6. RedWings are too damn good. They might win the next couple Cup's if they keep their nucleus. :hatsoff:

Wings looked good
Pens stoped playing after the first 10 minutes

Perhaps the Red Wings are the Yankees of the NHL this year and CHOKE with all of their talent and not win the Championship. After all that's what the Yankees do best (disappoint/fail/underachieve).

Regardless, the Red Wings success is far more impressive than the Yankees considering the NHL has a salary cap now. I'd be more likely to compare the Red Wings to the Steelers or Patriots. Those are well managed teams that are consistently among the best.

The Red Wings are the winningest franchise of any pro sports team in the last 15 years.

Right on despite the salary cap we have A players that will sign a fair or abelow deal to play on this team. Ken Holland is a increbile GM and the players feel special and are treated that way to play here.

Hossa has a deal on the table now. I am so glad my favorite player Franzen sign a long deal with us.

GO WINGS!

member979979

Closed Account
Are the wings that good, or are they only that good at home?

What a pathetic performance by the Pens. Fluery sucks, and Crosby and Malkin getting penalties!!!

Are the wings that good, or are they only that good at home?

What a pathetic performance by the Pens. Fluery sucks, and Crosby and Malkin getting penalties!!!

Won 2 on the road with Columbus, won 1 on the road with the Ducks, 1 on the road vs the Hawks.

Yes, Home ice is always nice..

Mauser98k

Closed Account
on this date 5 years ago:

It was June 7, 2004. Nearly 23,000 fans packed the St. Pete Times Forum to make the fire marshal sweat and thousands more were outside flooding the plazas on each side of the building. It was a long and winding road that led them to that point. The Tampa Bay/Calgary Flames series was loaded with passion and intensity. Every puck carrier was met with a body check from an opposing player. The teams had traded off wins in the first six games, leading to easily the best moment in sports: Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. It was also the first Game 7 in Tampa Bay sports history and the Lightning made the most of it.

“Looking back on it now we really realize how special it was,” former Lightning captain Dave Andreychuk said. “The whole playoff run was special. You watch the teams in years after and see how hard it is to get to that point. I think we’ve all realized that now. As players we feel fortunate. As fans I think you want it more and more but you realize how special that year was. When everybody talks about ’04 they look back and they're glad they were a part of it, myself included.”

Ruslan Fedotenko scored twice and Nikolai Khabibulin made 16 saves, including the game-saver in the waning moments of the third period as the Lightning skated away with a 2-1 victory against the Calgary Flames and Lord Stanley’s Cup. Suddenly the impossible seemed possible. Out of the hopeless grew hope. What once seemed unachievable had finally been achieved.

The Lightning team was a melting pot of players from different molds put together by General Manager Jay Feaster and coached by John Tortorella. There were household names like regular season most valuable player Martin St. Louis, Vincent Lecavalier and Brad Richards. There were grizzled veterans in the form of Andreychuk, Darryl Sydor and Tim Taylor. There were roll-players such as Ben Clymer, Chris Dingman, Andre Roy and Fedotenko. They were a team that was a sum of its parts and not individuals. Now they would walk together forever in hockey history.

At 10:50 p.m. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman announced “ladies and gentlemen, the Stanley Cup” and proceeded to pass it to Andreychuk, who had waited 22 NHL seasons for that moment. It showed as he lifted the Cup over his head and jumped up and down like he was a youngster.

“It runs through your head, that is something that you dream about,” Andreychuk said. “It took me a while to get there. Obviously, my teammates deserved a lot of the credit for why we were there. But it was a moment that had gone through my head lots of times. Finally, it happened.

“I don't believe you can put into words the things that go through your mind," Andreychuk said. "The years that you got knocked out in the first round. The years that you didn't make the playoffs. All the players you have played with, and obviously, my teammates. We battled all year long to get home-ice advantage, and it happened to be that we won the Stanley Cup in a seventh game in our own building. It took me 29 years of hockey to get there, and I was so proud of our guys because we got a Game 7 at home because we worked hard all year long. It was awesome.”

It was a long time coming for the Lightning. The team began play in 1992, in a building more suited for a circus than a hockey club. Tampa Bay posted a 246-440-104 record from 1992-02, despite making their first playoff appearance in 1996 and being dispatched in the first round by Philadelphia. But in 2002-03 things began to take shape.

That year Tampa Bay posted the best record in franchise history at the time with 36-25-16-5, an enormous 24-point increase from the previous season. The Lightning captured their first Southeast Division title but eventually fell to the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals. New Jersey went on to win the Stanley Cup, but in defeat Tampa Bay learned what it took to win.

“It was important,” Martin St. Louis said. “It was a learning experience for us. They were willing to do whatever it took to win. It was important in the learning process we went through as a team.”

A little more than a year later St. Louis wore the lesson on his face as time wound down in the third period of Game 7. After being driven into the boards by Calgary’s Andrew Ference, blood ran from St. Louis’ face as he defiantly gathered himself and skated back to the bench. In a series of ups and downs it was a symbol that this time nothing could stop the Lightning from becoming champions.

It was a magical run that probably not even most Lightning fans believed was possible when training camp opened on September 11. Tampa Bay became the first team from the final wave of expansion, which began in 1991, to win the Stanley Cup. They also became the first team in the Sunbelt to hoist the Cup and the sixth team in NHL history to win a championship in their first Stanley Cup Final.

St. Louis put it best after that unbelievable Game 7.

"We're going to walk forever together as champions, no matter what happens from now on," St. Louis said.

credit to the Lightning website

Malkin is a little bitch. You never saw Gretzky or Mario pull shit like he does. He's supposed to be one of the great skill players in the league. Someone actually defends against him and he can't handle it. Pittsburgh just lost all of their composure last night. They are done. The Wings are in their heads now especially Fluery.

Marlo Manson

Hello Sexy girl how your Toes doing?
This is IMO just priceless if the Redwings end up winning the cup again, how gleeful Detroit fans wil feel whenever they see this hilarious image. http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/06/bettman_sad_thumb.jpg

(I'd say it looks like Scary Buttman ears are gonna start smoking :flame: cuz he looks beside himself, contemplating / realizing the fact) that his butt buddy Cindy Crysby prolly isn't gonna win Lord Stanleys Cup this year either.. @ the hands of those Got Damn RED WINGS AGAIN ... :D:tongue::1orglaugh:laugh::rofl2:

I hope EVERYBODY appreciate's this as much as I did, do, will..etc.. matter of fact I saw it LIVE while I was watchin the game @ home, that precious image practically caused me to DIE LAUGHING. :rolleyes::D

Just some arrogant Wings fans too busy hating other teams to enjoy Hockey.

Arrogant Wings fans? I've been a fan since they were the Dead Things so pardon me for enjoying the success. I love hockey. I will watch a high school game. Hell I'd even watch a Chicago/Colorado game if it's on.

Not trying to jump down your throat or anything. Enjoy.:wave2:

Marlo Manson

Hello Sexy girl how your Toes doing?
Arrogant Wings fans? I've been a fan since they were the Dead Things so pardon me for enjoying the success. I love hockey. I will watch a high school game. Hell I'd even watch a Chicago/Colorado game if it's on.

For real real.. thats what I am talkin about. I watch ALL NHL games on the TV.. as long as the teams are competitive, not gonna watch a couple of bottom dwellers unless their are allot of fights, scrums, hits..etc.. :crash::fight: :D

I love about 5 other teams besides my Red Wings.. I won't mention any names right now.. but I love Big physical, tough, talented, aggressive teams, allot of times to compensate the lack of that aspect when it comes to the Red wings. :mad::cussing: I just watch other teams to get the rough housing I love.. :eek::D

I have 4 of the ORIGINAL SIX Sweaters, the other 2 I couldn't, wouldn't buy, cuz I hate them and their Sweaters.. so like my good friend ThatRedWing said, forgive me for basking, loving my teams success and devotion to their fans.

so anybody that mistakenly says I am an arrogant Red wings fan
they are dead fuckin wrong, not arrogant, Devoted and Proud of my Red Wings.. and I love HOCKY in general, out of the 30 NHL teams, I will watch prolly 20 - 25 of them on a regular basis if I had the TV access to do so. :D

They were dope with Bowman and Yzerman when they had all those classics with Colorado in the late 90s. The game when Osgood and Roy brawled has to be one of the great games in NHL history. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.