• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Michael Jackson -> 1958-2009

Wish he could have had the time to play those shows. About a week before he died, he did a press conference about the tour, and I remember thinking he looked happy and that he sounded confident. If he HAD to go out, it would have been a fine thing for him to have gone out on top.

Mike had his eccentricities. But you have to realize, he was one of the most famous people in the world. Shaolin monks know Thriller, for crying out loud. He wasn't given a normal life. He wasn't given much of a life at all.

He was a child prodigy, an amazing singer. he redefined dance, and pop music in general. Folks copy his riffs and his style. He was an amazing artist, and an Icon. He was a troubled, but caring soul. The press constantly worried at him like a dog with a bone. It's time to stop.

The man did more than just moonwalk. And you don't have to be a singer, or a musician to hear the originality. The greatness. But if you are, it's even more so apparent. He effing rocked. Born entertainer.

So he deserves his respect. His family deserves their time to mourn in peace, to let his memory be dealt with with pride. Leave him be. It's time to leave him alone.

Much love Mike. From another Mike. :) Thanks for the tunes.

*cranks up PYT*

Good post. The financial boost to the economy from fans offsets much of the money that is already set aside in the budget for such events.

It's always losers on the internet who try to diminish what others have done.

Michael Jackson basically gave away ALL profits from his Victory & Dangerous Tours to charity. All profits from his Dangerous Tour were used in part to airlift TONS of food & medical supplies to Kosovo/Bosnia.

This besides the estimated $60-100 million DOLLARS that HIS 'We Are the World' raised for medical supplies/famine relief in Ethiopia which in turn inspired "Live Aid".

He donated heavily to at least 40 known charities(according to guinness book) & set up the "Heal The World Foundation" through which he has donated hundreds of millions to people in need(And I know I am short changing him because he has done more which there is little need to get into as it is public knowledge).

I guess Michael Jackson makes those few who keep flaming feel even more insignificant in this world than they already are.

Not quite. Despite Al Sharpton's rewriting of history, "We Are The World" was in fact an American response to the Band Aid single "Do They Know It's Christmas?"

Nevertheless, Michael Jackson did an enormous amount for his fellow man, so he deserves to be celebrated for his charitable contributions. As with other pop stars like Bono who are often cynically criticised for self-righteousness, it is very true (and facile to point out) that he possessed the sort of personal wealth to do so much more, but at least he did something. He had no obligation to do anything, but he still chose to give and that's always a laudable thing.

Prince is/was/has never been on MJ's level. Madonna had MJ's talent for glamming up for the paparazzi, but never had his musical or dance ability.

MJ let his "messianic christ quest" be his own downfall, I have to say. He certainly was not putting out quality music since...maybe 1991?

Prince is a fantastic showman in his own right, but The Purple One is also one of the greatest musicians of the modern age. He's composed fabulous music in every genre from blues to funk to pop to jazz to avant garde. An awful lot of Michael Jackson's music was written by others. He may not induce the same kind of hysteria as Michael Jackson, but he's actually the more talented musician. Obviously, MJ excelled in other areas such as dance and image, which makes him more important overall.

Also, while I am and remain a fan of Michael Jackson's music, it's worth pointing out that some of the musical malaise people talk about (I think it's a little exaggerated) is down to Michael Jackson's influence. As Paul Gambaccini mentioned during his commentary of the memorial, if it hadn't been Michael Jackson's emphasis on dancing and performance on stage to playback, we would have had a completely different musical landscape.

Before him, pop stars had to demonstrate some competency with an instrument in order to be taken seriously. The reason we have Justin Timberlake and Usher instead of Eric Claptons or Elvises is down to Michael Jackson's style of performance.

girk1

Closed Account
Not quite. Despite Al Sharpton's rewriting of history, "We Are The World" was in fact an American response to the Band Aid single "Do They Know It's Christmas?"

Nevertheless, Michael Jackson did an enormous amount for his fellow man, so he deserves to be celebrated for his charitable contributions. As with other pop stars like Bono who are often cynically criticised for self-righteousness, it is very true (and facile to point out) that he possessed the sort of personal wealth to do so much more, but at least he did something. He had no obligation to do anything, but he still chose to give and that's always a laudable thing.

Point well taken. I almost forgot Band Aid came out months before "We Are The World" ,but it doesn't take away the fact that he & Richie donated their time & talents to write/perform this record.

It is estimated Jackson gave over $300 million to charities during his lifetime & has set aside 20% of his future estate for charity so his donations shall exceed a billion dollars. I think I pointed out the admiration I have for Bono/Jolie here before as they could be doing other things with those millions they have made.

The following articles refer to his generosity

http://www.blackstarnews.com/news/135/ARTICLE/5811/2009-06-28.html

http://www.fastweb.com/college-scholarships/articles/1305-michael-jacksos-300-million-legacy

girk1

Closed Account
Prince is a fantastic showman in his own right, but The Purple One is also one of the greatest musicians of the modern age. He's composed fabulous music in every genre from blues to funk to pop to jazz to avant garde. An awful lot of Michael Jackson's music was written by others. He may not induce the same kind of hysteria as Michael Jackson, but he's actually the more talented musician. Obviously, MJ excelled in other areas such as dance and image, which makes him more important overall.

Also, while I am and remain a fan of Michael Jackson's music, it's worth pointing out that some of the musical malaise people talk about (I think it's a little exaggerated) is down to Michael Jackson's influence. As Paul Gambaccini mentioned during his commentary of the memorial, if it hadn't been Michael Jackson's emphasis on dancing and performance on stage to playback, we would have had a completely different musical landscape.

Before him, pop stars had to demonstrate some competency with an instrument in order to be taken seriously. The reason we have Justin Timberlake and Usher instead of Eric Claptons or Elvises is down to Michael Jackson's style of performance.

Prince is a great musician ,but most pop artists(like Prince) are far from virtuoso's on their instruments even if they are competent.

Pop music has a long history of crooners(among the most sucessful music artists in history) who did not play instruments from Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Frank Sinatra,Drifters or Nat King Cole(Jazz virtuoso who basically abandoned the piano because the public could care less about his Piano skills/chops).

Older Bluesman like Elmore James, Sony Boy Williamson, Little Walter, Muddy Waters, Hubert Sumlin,Robert Johnson,etc......inspired a generation of young artists like the Stones/Beatles & it became cool to play instruments(especially guitar), but to say Pop stars Had to demonstrate competecy on an instrument is a stretch. Was that guitar Elvis had little more than a prop that he was 'barely' compotent on ? It was his slick singing/ hip shaking/gyrating performances that made him a legend & you know it.

To say Michael Jackson is responsible for this supposed lack of instrumental competency in Pop music is disingenuous when Pop music was built by crooners like Crosby/Sinatra/Como,etc....who played no instruments(Although Michael Jackson was a 'competent' drummer/percussionist I doubt if it would have been professionally wise to sit him behind a set of drums considering he is the most electrical performer ever).

If the public was interested in 'true' instrumental prowess/virtuosity, my beloved Jazz music wouldn't be on it's death bed & more people would check out floundering Symphony Orchestras.

If the public was interested in 'true' instrumental prowess/virtuosity, my beloved Jazz music wouldn't be on it's death bed & more people would check out floundering Symphony Orchestras.

Agreed. The "wheat grass" (not to put anyone down) tend to only care about the act/performance IMO.

These are all good points. Some things are debatable. I think the "computer" and digital recording techniques have harmed/changed the world of music more than MJ's dancing prominence. Milli Vanilli pretty much destroyed a lot of music's cred--they couldn't dance worth shit or sing worth shit and because of digital recording they conned the world.:dunno:

In America, the short-sighted attitude of cutting education funding for public school art/music programs will contribute, exponentially, to the decline of the American artist...no matter the media.

These are all good points. Some things are debatable. I think the "computer" and digital recording techniques have harmed/changed the world of music more than MJ's dancing prominence. Milli Vanilli pretty much destroyed a lot of music's cred--they couldn't dance worth shit or sing worth shit and because of digital recording they conned the world.:dunno:

In America, the short-sighted attitude of cutting education funding for public school art/music programs will contribute, exponentially, to the decline of the American artist...no matter the media.

I'm so wary of singers these days. I tend to think that the passion and conviction in a vocalists performance matters more than talent, or skill. But if you just don't sound good singing, you have no business making money off of it.

These days, auto voice correction is everywhere. Sinatra never used it. Dylan couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but his sound and passion make the difference.

Popsters today have neither, and use studio techniques and editing to cover up their lack of talent.

And yes. So many schools cutting out Music Classes. It's atrocious. Don't people realize that if you train a mind to understand music, you expand it to other things. I sucked at math until I took musical composition. When I learned the guitar, I learned a patience and a zen that I didn't have before. Music conditions the brain in a way most teachers never can.

Michael Jackson died? When did this happen? Haven't heard a thing... Weird, thought the media would be all over this...

I won't miss him. He was a total freak that couldn't accept himself as a person. How else do you explain all the appearance changes? At last, the world is finally rid of a complete wackjob!

Wish he could have had the time to play those shows. About a week before he died, he did a press conference about the tour, and I remember thinking he looked happy and that he sounded confident. If he HAD to go out, it would have been a fine thing for him to have gone out on top.

Mike had his eccentricities. But you have to realize, he was one of the most famous people in the world. Shaolin monks know Thriller, for crying out loud. He wasn't given a normal life. He wasn't given much of a life at all.

He was a child prodigy, an amazing singer. he redefined dance, and pop music in general. Folks copy his riffs and his style. He was an amazing artist, and an Icon. He was a troubled, but caring soul. The press constantly worried at him like a dog with a bone. It's time to stop.

The man did more than just moonwalk. And you don't have to be a singer, or a musician to hear the originality. The greatness. But if you are, it's even more so apparent. He effing rocked. Born entertainer.

So he deserves his respect. His family deserves their time to mourn in peace, to let his memory be dealt with with pride. Leave him be. It's time to leave him alone.

Much love Mike. From another Mike. :) Thanks for the tunes.

*cranks up PYT*

Good post.:glugglug:

I won't miss him. He was a total freak that couldn't accept himself as a person. How else do you explain all the appearance changes? At last, the world is finally rid of a complete wackjob!

This is a RESPECT thread. Did you not read the rules at the front?:ban:

do you think we will be seeing Michael Jackson impersonators the way we see(saw?) Elvis impersonators?

The funny thing about that is their are so many different Michael Jacksons.

Jackson 5 Michael
Early 80s Michael(black)
Thriller Michael(Zombie)
Late 80s Michael(white)
Egyptian Michael
Surgen mask Michael

and so on...

It should be very entertaining in Las Vegas.

What to say about such a talented artist that has not been said already. My childhood was spent listening to J5 and when Thriller came out it blew everyone's mind. I remember my favorite songs on the album were Wanna Be Startin Something and PYT. Of course we cannot leave out Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller. The whole album is simply amazing. MJ was a musical genius and had such a powerful voice.

I was listening to I want you back the other day and remember thinking such power for a child. Really he had power for anyone. There will never be another like him and we are all fortunate for having had him in our lives in some way. It has been said before but his music was the soundtrack to my life from as long as I can remember. The King of Pop left his mark on all of his fans and he will live forever through his music.

Alyssa Rose

Official Checked Star Member
Those gold programs that were given out are selling on eBay for over $1000 !!!!!

Huh, & everyone complains that 'oh I have no money, were in a recession, there's no jobs, theres always more month left at the end of the money"

Yet they are shelling out 1,000 dollars for a program?

Right.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
It's okay....everything is still right with the world....

Keith Richards is still alive.

*Waits for the inevitable jokes.....