• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Greatest Rock / Hard-Rock / Metal band in history ?

Which of these 18 legendary bands is/was the best Rock / Hard Rock / Metal band in history ?

• The Beattles

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • The Rolling Stones

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Queen

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • The Sex Pistols

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Beach Boys

• Black Sabbath

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Led Zeppelin

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Pink Floyd

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The Doors

• AC/DC

• Iron Maiden

• Metallica

• Motorhead

• The Ramones

• Nirvana

• U2

• Muse

• Coldplay

• Total voters

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Gotta be The Stones. True The Beatles changed the face of music. True Led Zep never gets tired (except for Stairway, the most overplayed song ever heard). The Stones catalog is too huge to be denied. They have stood the test of time and still tour at the age of 70. All others fall below them.

i would say the Beatles, purely for their impact on music and their influence over the years is undeniable, even though I like other bands on that list more than them.

Putting Coldplay on that list is a crime though!

Putting Coldplay on that list is a crime though!
I wanted one or two "recent" bands, so I put Muse and Coldplay, seems like they are the most popular 2000' - 2010' pop-rock bands

I'd have to go with Sabbath, they're not as big as the Stones, Beatles or Zep BUT they changed the face of Hard Rock forever, over half the bands on this list wouldn't exist without them, all you have to do is read/watch/listen to interviews by other musicians and most will site Sabbath as the most important.

If by "best" you mean the most talented musically with the best songs then I would say Black Sabbath from the list above.

If by "best" you mean the most well known or popular it's probably the Beatles.

I would put U2 and Nirvana on the bottom. I've just never been a big fan of U2. Nirvana might be the most overrated band in history. I don't know if I would even rank them as the third or fourth best grunge band.

On a personal level I don't think more than a couple of the Stone's song are good, and the Beatles as big as they were are overrated also.

BlkHawk

Closed Account
It was between the Stones, and Black Sabbath for me, but gotta go with Black Sabbath. No CCR?

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
The Who. Timeless music, still relevant lyrics. I will take The Who over the rest of the British Invasion.

bahodeme

Closed Account
I'm going with the Stones. The Beattles were better songwriters(IMO). Zeppelin had a bigger "holy shit, who is that?" sound, as well as added Zydeco and Middle Eastern influences to their songs. Sabbath spawned the metal genre. Queen , along with Freddie's voice, is about as Classical as you can get in Rock. So you really can't go wrong with choosing any of these.

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
Off that list I'd say Metallica. Though we will never know which was/is truly the best as it's a matter of opinion and musical tastes. Considering those bands listed represent a wide range of musical tastes, makes it much more impossible to tell.

True Led Zep never gets tired (except for Stairway, the most overplayed song ever heard).
I'm gonna take a lot of flak for this, but it must be said: "Stairway To Heaven" is the second-biggest piece of shit song in modern musical history. And for those who would assert that Led Zeppelin never gets tiresome, try listening to Fresno's two rock stations...the jackoffs insist on playing Led Zeppelin every hour.

Going solely off this list, I had to go with Motörhead, simply because I have played "Ace of Spades" louder than any song from any of the other 17 bands. But why was Pantera left off and those talentless twats Muse and Coldplay included? Blasphemy!

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
ABBA.

Oops!, I mean AC/DC.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Terrible mistake by me, I put the live wrong video for Black Sabbath, here is the right one :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StOWOSZD9w8

You misspeööed "The Beattles" in the poll! Lawda merci on your soul, now you are doomed ^^

All in all, I think that the overall number of rock bands who would make my Hall of Fame tend to be british.

1. The Stones
2. The Beatles
3. Led Zeppelin
4.The Who
5. AC/DC

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
All in all, I think that the overall number of rock bands who would make my Hall of Fame tend to be british.

1. The Stones
2. The Beatles
3. Led Zeppelin
4.The Who
5. AC/DC

Excuse me? AC/DC are home grown Aussie.

Thank you very much!! [harumph!]