• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2016 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
Not sure what the Orioles' book on Mookie Betts says, but it is wrong.

RHP Cal Quantrill of Port Hope, Ontario (just east of Toronto) was picked 8th overall by the Padres in tonight's draft. He's the son of Paul Quantrill who had a fine career in MLB. Do your dad proud Cal!!:thumbsup:

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
St.Lou 5 in a row. I am afraid, very afraid.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
St.Lou 5 in a row. I am afraid, very afraid.

So then we promptly lose 5 in a row on a 5-game homestand against the Astros and Rangers. Ahhh....but the good news is we rebounded this week and swept the Cubs in a 3-game set at Wrigley. As a Cardinal fan, THAT is so, so sweet no matter how you slice it! With our offense, if this team can get some consistency from the rotation and Rosie, we could be a factor as a wild card team before it's all said and done. At 9.5 GB, unless they totally collapse (which ain't likely), the Cubs should take the Central. If we can somehow make the playoffs at all, I'll take our chances from there. Aledmys Diaz and Brandon Moss were on fire today at the plate as we dealt a rare loss to Jake Arrieta. The second half of the season awaits and there are a bunch of teams in the running. Now is when MLB really starts to be a lot of fun (or distress) for a lot of fans.

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
The playoffs should have three teams from the NL Central again this year.

Jagger69

The playoffs should have three teams from the NL Central again this year.

Oh boy I'm not so sure about that, feller. The Dodgers look to be coming on strong lately and whoever finishes second in the East should be a serious contender as well. Neither the Cardinals nor the Bucs have been anywhere near as consistent as they need to be to get on the inside track. Personally, I feel good about where the Cardinals are headed since Peralta's return and the move of Carpenter back to 2B. Disappointed that Grichuk seems to have temporarily lost his way this year but the nice power and position versatility that guys like Moss and Gyorko can bring plus the fact that Diaz has literally come out of nowhere to become a very legitimate shortstop presence with some nice pop in his bat gives me cause for optimism. Adams has been awesome as well....everyone was starting to write "Big City" off but looks like he has other plans. Our rotation (which was supposed to be our biggest strength pre-season) seems to finally beginning to establish a bit of quality on a semi-regular basis. The bullpen has been great at times and very disappointing at others....especially Rosenthal in the closer's role. If he can regain some consistency, we continue to get decent starting pitching and continue to hit the fucking lights out of the ball (our offensive prowess has been surprising to say the least so far this year!), we've got a decent shot to make a wild card slot. If not, we don't. I'll be watching closely.

Oh boy I'm not so sure about that, feller. The Dodgers look to be coming on strong lately

Har. Nothing but a very brief aberration, good sir. A couple of very fluky wins included. You have my personal guarantee the Dodgers will not prevent the Cardinals from making the playoffs.

Oh and how about those Giants! I know you're a big proponent of the every even numbered year theory :D ;)

You have my personal guarantee the Dodgers will not prevent the Cardinals from making the playoffs.

I mean, just look at this team. You've only got one guy hitting over .265.
Your starting catcher you made a signature trade for is hitting .188 (his backup is hitting .205)
23 stolen bases in 76 games.
No regular left fielder and a center fielder with a career batting average of .214
The pitching rotation:
1) Kershaw - OK great arguably the best in the game
2) Kasmir - 6 quality starts in 15 outings. An ERA of 4.52. That's a number 2 starter??
3) Meada - Started off like a house on fire but has gone 3 and 5 since. A heady pitcher but his "stuff" is nothing to write home about. After 15 starts in the U.S. he's starting to look like a very slightly above average journeyman starter. The kind of guy who would be a solid enough #4 but not reliable as a #3.
4) Urias - 19 year old rookie has looked much better in his last three starts than his first three but nevertheless he's a 19 year old rookie on a pretty short hook.
5) Mike Bolsinger - Zero quality starts, 1 and 4 record with a 6.83 ERA

Plus a management team that doesn't figure to do a damn thing about this. Why would they? They were one significant move away from making it to the series last year and didn't pull the trigger. This year they're several moves away.
And frankly, if I'm Clayton Kershaw I'm starting to think about going someplace I can win a ring when I can opt out in 2019. 'Cause he'll be 31 by then and that sure as heck isn't going to happen here.

Jagger69

Har. Nothing but a very brief aberration, good sir. A couple of very fluky wins included. You have my personal guarantee the Dodgers will not prevent the Cardinals from making the playoffs.

Oh and how about those Giants! I know you're a big proponent of the every even numbered year theory :D ;)

You have my personal guarantee the Dodgers will not prevent the Cardinals from making the playoffs.

Your starting catcher you made a signature trade for is hitting .188 (his backup is hitting .205)
No regular left fielder and a center fielder with a career batting average of .214
The pitching rotation:
2) Kasmir - 6 quality starts in 15 outings. An ERA of 4.52. That's a number 2 starter??
3) Meada - Started off like a house on fire but has gone 3 and 5 since. A heady pitcher but his "stuff" is nothing to write home about. After 15 starts in the U.S. he's starting to look like a very slightly above average journeyman starter. The kind of guy who would be a solid enough #4 but not reliable as a #3.
4) Urias - 19 year old rookie has looked much better in his last three starts than his first three but nevertheless he's a 19 year old rookie on a pretty short hook.

Plus a management team that doesn't figure to do a damn thing about this. Why would they? They were one significant move away from making it to the series last year and didn't pull the trigger. This year they're several moves away.
And frankly, if I'm Clayton Kershaw I'm starting to think about going someplace I can win a ring when I can opt out in 2019. 'Cause he'll be 31 by then and that sure as heck isn't going to happen here.

Excellent analysis from your perspective. I'd be very frustrated if I were a Dodger fan. Present ownership and management has made some awful moves (and not made others). Good news for you is, so far, other than the Cub series, we have been in meltdown mode in Seattle on this road trip so we're not exactly pushing anyone out of the race.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
So the Giants are ahead. We're up 6 1/2 on the Dodgers. We'd be further ahead if we had a good bullpen.

The pitching rotation:

As a Giant fan, those damn Dodgers ALWAYS remain close to us. :D

Their starters haven't been good at all this year, with the exception of Clayton Kershaw. Last I checked their starters were seventh (7th) in MLB and fifth (5th) in the National League. Brandon McCarthy (been solid in his two starts from returning from the DL ) while Hyun-Jin Ryu in his one start (has not been good at all) It is because of their bullpen. The bullpen is second (2nd) in MLB and first (1st) in the National League. Having a good bullpen, allows guys like Cory Seager, Howie Kendrick, Trayce Thompson, Joc Pederson, Adrian Gonzalez and Justin Turner to get hits and score runs, and they squeak by with wins. Then they have a lights out closer in Kanley Jensen.

Let me repeat so that everyone can hear. (if you didn't know it already):

The LAD are the worst fiscally run franchise in MLB. Their front office is paying approximately 82 players not to be Dodgers (For example, Carl Crawford, and Mat Latos) and Ted Lilly just came off the rent rolls.

Dodger fans routinely call Andrew Friedman -- "the Fraudman."

=====

As for today's upcoming game -- Lets's go Friars. Keep the pressure on.

Vicky Vette

Official Checked Star Member
I interrupt your very serious baseball discussion...

... and John, you are MIA again at my board...

Some new pics.. shameless riding on the coat tails of the Chicago Cubs success this year...
Let's go Cubs!! Here are a bunch of new pics...

http://www.vickyathome.com/promo/tgp/chicagocubs1/

image06.jpg

sj1

Love & Basketball
I just want to send my condolences to the family, friends, fans, MLB and everyone who knew Jose Fernandez. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this tough time. Jose Fernandez #16 ( 1992-2016). A talented young man gone to soon. God Bless. :crying:

I'm still in shock from Jose's death. During yesterday's Mets game, Gary Cohan and Keith Hernandez were talking about the Marlins moving Fernandez' start to Monday so that he would face the Mets and I remember thinking damn, because he was damn good and the Mets are trying to keep a wild card spot. Loved his passion for the game, hated when he pitched against the Mets, RIP Jose.

Jagger69

OMG I am in shock over Jose Fernandez' untimely death! Only 24 years old!!

Last year it was Oscar Tavares and now this....young life snatched away before it had a chance to really begin. This just sucks. So sad for the family and the Marlins and their fans. R.I.P. Jose :crying:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
It's happened before. Bobby Ojeda was severely injured. However, Tim Crews, and Steve Olin were killed. -- R.I.P. :angels: ... March 23, 1993. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.