• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Why isn't football / soccer that popular in North America, United States / USA ?

Why isn't Soccer popular in America?

• Total voters
Re: Why Isn't Soccer Popular in America?

In the NFL there is constant action. And to those of us who love baseball there are many many things going on during a game to occupy your mind.

Constant action? bullshit. There's either a TV timeout, a coach timeout, or an injury timeout it seems like every 5 to 10 minutes. There's so much starting and stopping in football. I love football but this is one aspect of the game that I absolutely hate. In soccer you play two 45 minute halfs. There are no timeouts or TV breaks except for at halftime. It's in soccer where you have constant uninterrupted action. And for those of us that love soccer there are also many things going on during a game that occupy our minds

Constant action? bullshit. There's either a TV timeout, a coach timeout, or an injury timeout it seems like every 5 to 10 minutes. There's so much starting and stopping in football. I love football but this is one aspect of the game that I absolutely hate. In soccer you play two 45 minute halfs. There are no timeouts or TV breaks except for at halftime. It's in soccer where you have constant uninterrupted action. And for those of us that love soccer there are also many things going on during a game that occupy our minds

I'm not disagreeing with you, but a constantly running clock doesn't mean constant action. Shirley you can understand why some people would view soccer as a boring sport. I know scoring doesn't mean exciting, but even scoring chances are few and far between. Not to mention the pussiness of practiced diving. Jordan can play with the flu and these guys are holding their heads when someone grazed their feet.

soccer is boring as shit. end of story when it comes to most Americans reasoning.

but id also say it has to do with the fact that most games are on at the wrong time. either early AM, or late PM. during sleeping/work/school hours.

personally, i played soccer in grammar school, didnt hate it. it was fun to play. but WATCHING it, is boring as all hell. all that time goes by, and only 1 or 2 goals are scored. and dont gimme the "thats why its so entertaining, its such a close game!" bs. most games end up that way, so its not surprising at all anymore. it takes away from it.

but also cause fuck europe...just kidding (or am i?!?!)

now if RUGBY made it into the popular spots, i would definately watch that. awesome game

i beg to differ. football (while youre right about calls/time outs and commercials) is always action packed. throw here, run there, hit here etc etc.

soccer is back and forth, he kicked the ball! just for it to go back the other way. oh shit he went for the goal...for it to get stopped and go back the other way. over...and over...and over. its literally mind numbing for me (and many others) to watch.

NOW, there are a lot of people here in the US that watch the sport, its just a niche group. itll never gorw to be a nationally loved sport

Imo American football is one of the most boring sports I've ever seen, i have no time for it and no desire what so ever to watch a whole game. Even things like tennis and golf(often considered boring sports) are more interesting because i know the rules.

Just as much tactics are used in football as there are in American football. There are a vast amount of tactics a manager can deploy either at the start or during the game. It's not just this back and forth nonsense that Americans and Canadians talk about. There is often a lot more going on. Some of the greatest and most exciting matches i have seen have been incredible.

Americans will never get into football because they have no desire to, like i have no desire to get into American football. Unless you watch something from an early age or watch a lot of it, you will not feel the need to watch it. Football is the world's biggest sport by far, as it is generally the main sport in most countries. In most countries but particularly in Europe, we grow up watching football. In America, i imagine you grow up watching the NFL.

Americans will never get into football, there just isn't that desire to watch it over there

Imo American football is one of the most boring sports I've ever seen, i have no time for it and no desire what so ever to watch a whole game. Even things like tennis and golf(often considered boring sports) are more interesting because i know the rules.

Just as much tactics are used in football as there are in American football. There are a vast amount of tactics a manager can deploy either at the start or during the game. It's not just this back and forth nonsense that Americans and Canadians talk about. There is often a lot more going on. Some of the greatest and most exciting matches i have seen have been incredible.

Americans will never get into football because they have no desire to, like i have no desire to get into American football. Unless you watch something from an early age or watch a lot of it, you will not feel the need to watch it. Football is the world's biggest sport by far, as it is generally the main sport in most countries. In most countries but particularly in Europe, we grow up watching football. In America, i imagine you grow up watching the NFL.

Americans will never get into football, there just isn't that desire to watch it over there

bingo. its a reflecting sentiment of each sport. they just dont interest the other community.

my question is, why is it such a big deal? soccer isnt important here. why should it be? because the rest of the world loves it?

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement

Oh for fuck's sake... :facepalm:

bingo. its a reflecting sentiment of each sport. they just dont interest the other community.

my question is, why is it such a big deal? soccer isnt important here. why should it be? because the rest of the world loves it?

It's just a tactic for people around the world to feel superior to Americans and vice versa.

I've tried to get into american football on several occasions. I know they're formulating their tactics, but it's boring as all hell to watch a guy in pads drinking some gaterade... commercial.... more gatorade drinking... 8 seconds of action... 5 more minutes of watching players drink gaterade... etc.

It all comes down to what you're exposed to. I was brought up in a scottish family, so soccer was the sport of choice.

Four points clear, bigman!:glugglug:

I've tried to get into american football on several occasions. I know they're formulating their tactics, but it's boring as all hell to watch a guy in pads drinking some gaterade... commercial.... more gatorade drinking... 8 seconds of action... 5 more minutes of watching players drink gaterade... etc.

It all comes down to what you're exposed to. I was brought up in a scottish family, so soccer was the sport of choice.

Love it!!

15 points behind to 4 points clear. It's what dreams are made of

I will say if your 14 pints into a day of soccerit gets much better to watch. Just yell a scream and sing your songs.

We all know what the answer is...Americans are bigots. All the popular sports in America...are...American?

MLB, NFL, NBA...all these sports are played amongst Americans alone. None of these sports have international competitions where they play other teams from around the world where they could experience different cultures and ultimately different ways of playing the sport (as is the case with football...yeah that's right FOOTBALL! None of this "soccer" BS).

Until Americans realise there sh*t doesn't smell like roses and that their country isn't @ the center of the universe...maybe other nations will actually want to invite them to the party. Until then...

Note: This post is CLEARLY satirical...no offence is intended.

PlasmaTwa2

MLB, NBA...None of these sports have international competitions where they play other teams from around the world where they could experience different cultures and ultimately different ways of playing the sport

Stupid comment is stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Major_League_Baseball_players_by_nationality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_Summer_Olympics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Basketball_Championship
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_NBA_players

Last edited:

You beat me to it. Though I will say that the WBC is a joke, yeah it's an international baseball competition but it's nowhere close to being as prestigious as the World Cup. We(U.S.) can't even get our best players to commit to playing when the time comes for the WBC.

PlasmaTwa2

You beat me to it. Though I will say that the WBC is a joke, yeah it's an international baseball competition but it's nowhere close to being as prestigious as the World Cup. We(U.S.) can't even get our best players to commit to playing when the time comes for the WBC.

I don't think there are any international competitions outside of the Olympics that are on the same level as the World Cup, but it is completely stupid to say there isn't any international competition in baseball and basketball when America doesn't even win half of them!

I wonder if there are any American "soccer" players who play in the European leagues? I wonder if the USA even has the level of coaching required to get a player up to that level of play?

It is never going to be big in the USA, there are already too many sports in the USA, and most Americans know everything about sports, but nothing about anything else, its pathetic really. It is also pathetic how these American idiots who know about nothing but sports look at politics like it's sports, they just choose a side whether Blue or Red, and cheer for their team without looking into anything further, Fox news really caters to these kind of morons, cheerleaders and all

I don't think there are any international competitions outside of the Olympics that are on the same level as the World Cup, but it is completely stupid to say there isn't any international competition in baseball and basketball when America doesn't even win half of them!

We are back to being the champs in international basketball. Have you seen our roster for the London Olympics? I feel sorry for whoever we play. We're going to run them out of the gym

I wonder if there are any American "soccer" players who play in the European leagues? I wonder if the USA even has the level of coaching required to get a player up to that level of play?

It is never going to be big in the USA, there are already too many sports in the USA, and most Americans know everything about sports, but nothing about anything else, its pathetic really. It is also pathetic how these American idiots who know about nothing but sports look at politics like it's sports, they just choose a side whether Blue or Red, and cheer for their team without looking into anything further, Fox news really caters to these kind of morons, cheerleaders and all

Do you even watch soccer? if you did you'd know that Clint Dempsey became the first American to score a hat trick in the Premier League in Fulham's 5-2 comeback win over Newcastle on Saturday.