• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

What are you reading now?

comments about the man in the high castle no i didn't read this one yet but i've read valis (good times), the collected short stories of philip k dick (good times), do androids dream of electric sheeps? (good times), ubik (good times), and a scanner darkly by dick an enjoyed em all, the collected short... which included the short story minority report which led to the movie minority report, do androids... led to the movie blade runner, and a scanner darkly led to the movie a scanner darkly :D

awesome. I guess what I'm getting at is that it might not be the best book if you have never read anything else by PKD. But in your case, i'm sure it will turn out good then.

I just finished reading "The Silent Traveller In San Francisco" by Chiang Yee and plan to read the rest of the series. I also plan to read "Romance of the Three Kingdoms," these are some really interesting books, well, for me, perhaps.

Still reading Joyce's A portrait of the artist... I had sat it aside for a while, and I'm resuming it again now.

Star Wars: Dark Nest book 1. It's pretty good, but I don't see how they can keep the story going for two more books. I'll probably skip at least one of the others.

I also started reading Nietzsche's The Anti-Christ, but I most likely won't finish it. It's probably his worst book and only interesting in understanding his perspective during his declining years, but not a very good philosophy text.

I've put down Schrodinger's Cat for a while. Not enjoying it as much as The Illuminatus! but I'll pick it up in a while.

Currently reading: White Noise - Don DeLillo. Which isnt half bad :hatsoff:

I just started reading J.G Ballard's Crash. Seems pretty appropriate for Freeones. Basically it's about people whose fetish is car crashes. And so far it's basically just lurid descriptions of those fantasies. In other words, it's just gross.

But I understand that there's a social commentary behind it that is very powerful in that it manages to be both obvious, while generally oblivious to most people. Rather literally, people lust for technology even though it will inevitably be their doom because it is the anti-thesis of life. And that is what they really lust after, as others have coined the "death urge", because destroying life is the only way that you can control it, and we'd pay the highest cost to avoid surrendering to powerlessness and fear of uncertainty. It's also a statement about how sex has become as impersonal and utilitarian (and as secretly seductive and deadly) as driving a car.

and of course, it's not just society that is fucked up, but all of us too that such horrors are entirely ubiquitous and so etched into our psyche that we could find them entertaining, or at least tolerable.

I am reading "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis, apparently this book is pretty famous for it's subject matter.

I read the entire Lord of the Flies a few days ago.

Was thinking of getting ahold of:
Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Neuromancer by William Gibson
The complete chronicles of Conan by Robert E Howard

Just haven't had the time to go the library yet

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
Stephen King's "Eyes of the Dragon." Read it years ago, wanted some thing of his to read and picked it up.

Spleen

Banned?
Hellraisers

Stories about Oliver Reed, Peter O'toole, Richard Burton and Richard Harris, famous for their drinking just as much as their acting. It's all pretty hilarious. My favourite is Reed, if I was an alcoholic, I'd want to be just like him.

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond

and

America Alone: The End of the World as We Know It by Mark Steyn

Still reading Joyce's A portrait of the artist... I had sat it aside for a while, and I'm resuming it again now.

:throwup:

I really thought that was a crappy book.

I've taken out a couple of other books from the library by Walker Percy. I really enjoyed Lancelot and The Moviegoer.

Perilypos

Retired Moderator
I've started reading "Man-eaters of Kumaon" by Jim Corbett.

I read the book translated into Czech some 23 years ago and liked it very much, so I decided to buy and read it in English.

It is a really wonderful book - Jim Corbett's style is very nice, clear and not too complicated (remember that I am an autodidact and my knowledge of English is far from perfect) and the topic itself is very interesting (chasing and killing man-eating tigers). I also like the author's point of view, because although he was hunting extremely dangerous animals, he never considered them as monsters, loved both the nature and the animals living in it and the people in the region of Kumaon he was protecting from the man-eaters. He also became a notable conservationist and India's first national park was named after him. When Czech zoologist Vratislav Mazák discovered that tigers living in Indochina were of a subspecies different from the Bengal tiger, he published his discovery in 1968 and named the new subspecies in honour of Jim Corbett as "Panthera tigris corbetti" (Corbett's tiger).

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
Motley Crue: The Dirt