• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Holy Crap ! An earthquake just hit here !

about 30-40 minutes ago. 5.4 according to the local news

I've been trying to find out info on it, but didn't have much luck, until I dug a little deeper... check it out.... about 4:35-4:40 am central time

http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/heli_nmad/NMDM_EHZ_NM.2008041800.gif
http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/heli_nmad/BROM_EHZ_NM.2008041800.gif
http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/heli_nmad/EPRM_EHZ_NM.2008041800.gif

according to the local news it's a 5.4 :eek:

i felt it shaking for a good 10-15 seconds or more ( or so it seemed)

Last edited:
southeast missouri

Yeah, it wasn't that big of one, but still kind of jolting. It seemed to keep going long enough that it might turn into something a little bigger.

An earthquake strikes your hometown ... your house could be about to fall over ... your family and friends could be buried amidst the rubble ... people are running around, shouting for their children ... people are covered in dirt and grime from attempting to pull out survivors from the wreckage ... they know that they are probably dead ... yet still they dig deeper ... deeper ... deeper.

you stand there ... wondering ... thinking ...

what. do. you. do?

Visit freeones of course! :thefinger

Seriously though, is the city in chaos? Was it just a rumble, but no major destruction? :(

I was on freeones when it hit.:tongue:

It's mostly a rural area where it hit - so it appears so far there's no major damage.

And the epicenter was actually in southern illinois quite a bit far away. (100 miles or so maybe)

I'm in Bethalto, Illinois. It shook everything in my computer room, even the monitor shook a little bit.
I was sitting at the computer when it hit, and if I didn't know any better, I would have sworn that someone was standing behind me, just shaking my chair with me in it.

Happens every few years

It happens every few years in the area, nothing every bigger than 4-5 on the scale.

Not to worry folks.

We west coasters got together and decided to send you one of our attention getting (but non-killer) quakes. We're glad you enjoyed it. This was a public service done to promote greater understanding between sections of the country. Now if you'd be so kind as to send us one of your less damaging tornadoes that process can continue :)

Facetious

Moderated
Is this the "New Madrid Fault" that I've been hearing so much about ?

Did any of your guy's pets wake you or run around in an unusual fashion prior to shake ?
i.e. a caged bird freaking out just prior, the dog or cat acting disoriented and / or scared. check this out "Animals and earthquakes" lol ! http://board.freeones.com/showthread.php?t=171059&highlight=earthquake

Some other threads FWIW http://board.freeones.com/showthread.php?t=168465&highlight=earthquake
http://board.freeones.com/showthread.php?t=205657&highlight=earthquake

At least those mid west quakes haven't revealed 7 - 8.0 type of energy.
It's not pleasant contemplating your life while wondering -

Is This The One ? :eek:

It happens every few years in the area, nothing every bigger than 4-5 on the scale.

For this particular area this specific quake was the largest in 40 years. But i think the news said around 150+ happen within the New Madrid fault line zone per year.

Is this the "New Madrid Fault" that I've been hearing so much about ?

Thankfully, this one wasn't on the New Madrid fault itself. :eek:

Not to worry folks.

We west coasters got together and decided to send you one of our attention getting (but non-killer) quakes. We're glad you enjoyed it. This was a public service done to promote greater understanding between sections of the country. Now if you'd be so kind as to send us one of your less damaging tornadoes that process can continue :)

:1orglaugh Actually, the one of the largest ever quakes in the US happened on the New Madrid fault here in the midwest. From wiki...

The New Madrid Earthquake, one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded in the contiguous United States, occurred on February 7, 1812. It got its name from its primary location in the New Madrid Seismic Zone, near New Madrid, Louisiana Territory (now Missouri).

This earthquake was preceded by three other major quakes: two on December 16, 1811, and one on January 23, 1812. These earthquakes destroyed approximately half the town of New Madrid. There were also numerous aftershocks in the area for the rest of that winter.

There are estimates that the earthquakes were felt strongly over 50,000 square miles (130,000 km²), and moderately across nearly one million square miles. The historic San Francisco earthquake of 1906, by comparison, was felt moderately over 6,000 square miles (16,000 km²).

We'll get right on sending some tornadoes you way, though.

For this particular area this specific quake was the largest in 40 years. But i think the news said around 150+ happen within the New Madrid fault line zone per year.

Thankfully, this one wasn't on the New Madrid fault itself. :eek:

:1orglaugh Actually, the one of the largest ever quakes in the US happened on the New Madrid fault here in the midwest. From wiki...

Yes while the faults and quakes on the west coast are much more well known seismologists have for years said that the possibilty of a big quake in the mid-west was there.As they did have as you point out have one of the biggest ones ever in the US.Of course its devastation was not as severe as say the 1906 San francisco quake being the much lower population at the time.

Thanks, sp00ner. We look forward to it :)

When choosing the strength of tornado please remember we west coasters don't have any of those thingies....what do you call them?.....you know, places under the house where you go hide to keep from getting picked up and carried off to parts of Kansas where there are flying monkeys.

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
I was asleep but had a dream the house was shaking. I got to work and someone said there was an earthquake. Crazy since we don't get em that often in the midwest! I'm in norther indiana.:rolleyes:

I always figured when that fault line finally slipped it would have been bigger than a lousy 5.4 how disappointing!

Violator79

Take a Hit, Spunker!
When I was the Army, I felt the aftershocks of an earthquake that hit Hawaii. I tell you feeling the earth rumble is freaky.

Where I'm at it's at the very edge of where the quake could be felt. Unfortunately, I took a nap right before it happened and wasn't awake to experience it.

S

sputnikgirl

I live in MO, and we felt one of the aftershocks. We didn't feel the initial quake because we were asleep I guess.