• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Bush explains veto of waterboarding bill

WASHINGTON - President Bush said Saturday he vetoed legislation that would ban the CIA from using harsh interrogation methods such as waterboarding to break suspected terrorists because it would end practices that have prevented attacks.

"The bill Congress sent me would take away one of the most valuable tools in the war on terror," Bush said in his weekly radio address taped for broadcast Saturday. "So today I vetoed it," Bush said. The bill provides guidelines for intelligence activities for the year and includes the interrogation requirement. It passed the House in December and the Senate last month.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080308/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_torture

So I guess his position is he thinks whatever they think works is acceptable.Man that is one slippery slope for a so-called just and fair society to be headed down.Lets bring back the rack!:eek:

I'm no expert in the implications of torture, but why not just require Presedential authorization to use waterboarding? Then there would be accountability to the electorate.

There will be is so much that will need to be undone by the new powers that be come next election...
:(

I also think that "waterboarding" was the name chosen for it's somewhat innocuous connotation; it sounds like weekend athletic activity.
:mad:

The Satyr Icon

I'm no expert in the implications of torture, but why not just require Presedential authorization to use waterboarding? Then there would be accountability to the electorate.

Nah can't give that much power that is only checked by an election every 4 years.What if he wanted to authorize executions just on his authority?

"the torture president"

has a nice ring to it.
No doubt in my mind that things like that and like warrantless wiretaps are what he will be remembered for.

Wait! There was another a different Bush said his own people should overthrow.

Daddy Bush knew better than to take Saddam out.If he was going to be replaced it was up to the people of Iraq to do it.The way we did it has made the place worse than it was under Saddam and it will be until we get out of the way and let them settle this for themselves.

There will be is so much that will need to be undone by the new powers that be come next election...
:(

I also think that "waterboarding" was the name chosen for it's somewhat innocuous connotation; it sounds like weekend athletic activity.

The Satyr Icon

Hey Mohammed were going waterboarding this weekend ,care to join us?:rolleyes::1orglaugh

Hey Mohammed were going waterboarding this weekend ,care to join us?:rolleyes::1orglaugh

Exactly!
That sounds much more fun than "Waterclogging". Imagine if the act was called that. Do you think that people would be more outraged? I think that the masses have been lulled/dulled with that politically correct-society pleasing sounding name of "waterboarding".

The Satyr Icon

Exactly!
That sounds much more fun than "Waterclogging". Imagine if the act was called that. Do you think that people would be more outraged? I think that the masses have been lulled/dulled with that politically correct-society pleasing sounding name of "waterboarding".

The Satyr Icon

Simulated Drowning sounds almost like a video game.

The Satyr Icon

I'm sure you're right about that, but if we look at the article that's quoted and linked to in the first post here, we can see that we're lucky if the bent-over media even use that relatively fun-loving sounding term. It said:

"President Bush said Saturday he vetoed legislation that would ban the CIA from using harsh interrogation methods such as waterboarding to break suspected terrorists..."

Catch that? "Harsh interrogation methods". Not torture. It's just interrogation (that's legal and non-controversial) that happens to be harsh (well, the definition for that can be as flexible as a wet noodle to suit one's tastes to any situation).... And of course, having the "harsh interrogation methods" in the opening sentence just goes to help the Bush cause in his struggle to reach rock-bottom. Many people will see that, shrug their shoulders, and turn to the sports or weather.

And keep in mind that they weren't quoting Bush there, it was the writer's own line. They could have just as easily written "...that would ban the CIA from using particular forms of torture, such as the so-called 'waterboarding' method..." Why didn't they?

Yet another instance where the myth of a "liberally-biased media" is exposed as the b.s. it is...

:1orglaugh

Like Peacekeeper missiles? Or Daisycutters?

I have a google link up and am going to list a few names of organizations that have adopted nice progressive sounding names that are actually quite the opposite.

National Endowment for Democracy
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/CIA/National EndowmentDemo.html
"How many Americans could identify the National Endowment for Democracy? An organization which often does exactly the opposite of what its name implies."

This one AFA may be from an author you are familiar with,the book he lists at the end is one I think you said you have.

United Seniors Association
http://www.citizen.org/congress/campaign/special_interest/articles.cfm?ID=7999
"United Seniors Association: Hired Guns for PhRMA and Other Corporate Interests - July 2002 Report"

Accuracy in Media
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/6/25/173/40630
"However, something very eerie and sinister lurks behind this innocuous name and seemingly benign goal. In fact, Accuracy in Media is an Orwellian misnomer that ranks with the best of them."

Innocuous names are being used everywhere to hide true intentions!:eek:

So I guess his position is he thinks whatever they think works is acceptable.Man that is one slippery slope for a so-called just and fair society to be headed down.Lets bring back the rack!:eek:

Exactly what you said. The President is supposed to be the one who is the ultimate check on what government does. Whether things violate rules, treaties, etc. Instead it's like he's relying on the CIA to tell him what is right and wrong.

Like Peacekeeper missiles? Or Daisycutters?
Of course. I almost consider it doublespeak, in such that the particular names always seem to deflect or hide the intent of actual act or item or event.... and more acceptable, even misused...

If you don't like the use of Patriot Missiles... well, you ain't a patriot, are you?

Daisycutters? I wish I had a daisycutter to take care of the aphids in the garden!

Waterboarding
? That sounds refreshing!

The less ominous and the more "glossy" it sounds, far more acceptable...

The Satyr Icon

Of course. I almost consider it doublespeak, in such that the particular names always seem to deflect or hide the intent of actual act or item or event.... and more acceptable, even misused...

If you don't like the use of Patriot Missiles... well, you ain't a patriot, are you?

Daisycutters? I wish I had a daisycutter to take care of the aphids in the garden!

Waterboarding
? That sounds refreshing!

The less ominous and the more "glossy" it sounds, far more acceptable...

The Satyr Icon

Advertising is all it is, and people accept it as true. Deadly weapons with kissy kissy, squeaky clean names. Others, (I'm thinking jets, helicopters), named to sound tough aren't they? Cobra? I can't remember them all.