• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Why isn't football / soccer that popular in North America, United States / USA ?

Why isn't Soccer popular in America?

• Total voters
1. Not enough scoreing, it was fun to watch the Galaxy and Red Bull play cause the score was 5-6, but I have watched many a EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A to know that there is NOT enough socring for Americans.
The thing is that in soccer, scoring once can make a big difference. In Baseball, Football, Basketball, etc, even if you score 3 times, it's nothing

3. Plenty of kids play soccer in there youth in for community teams but lose the passion later in life for whateve reasons.
Probably because soccer is not or very few on TV and because the american players cannot make them dream. Let them watch the english Premier League and the Champions League, let them watch Franck Ribery, Lionel Messi, C. Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Fernando Torres, Sameul Eto'o, , Zlatan Ibrahimovic, etc. And they will keep motivated to play soccer, they will dream about doing with the ball what these guys can do.

5. Everyone can play it, let me explain this American Football, NFL, can be played ANYWHERE ANYTIME. The best game would be fumbleanny otherwise know as Smear the Queer.
So does soccer. Why dio you think african or south-americans technics comes from ? From the years they havec past in the streets, playing soccer with their friend and o soda can as ball

7. the NFL generates a MASSIVE amout of income from tv rights and merch liceing agreements. Thats A LOT of money to match by any corporation.
Soccer can generate massive incomes too. In the context of Europe, Kaka, who just moved from AC Milan to Real Madrid cost 67.200.000€ to the club and will have 9.000.000€/year as salary.
So imagine how much money soccer could generate in the US...

Probably because soccer is not or very few on TV and because the american players cannot make them dream. Let them watch the english Premier League and the Champions League, let them watch Franck Ribery, Lionel Messi, C. Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Fernando Torres, Sameul Eto'o, , Zlatan Ibrahimovic, etc. And they will keep motivated to play soccer, they will dream about doing with the ball what these guys can do.

I hope not, I like this fact. Americans can stick with their sports that no one else gives a shit about. the rest of the world can enjoy Ribery, Messi, Torres. why you put Lampard there I do not understand though.

Soccer can generate massive incomes too. In the context of Europe, Kaka, who just moved from AC Milan to Real Madrid cost 67.200.000€ to the club and will have 9.000.000€/year as salary.
So imagine how much money soccer could generate in the US...

I think he means the fact that NFL wouldn't die down to allow an equivalent for football to thrive.

Compare that to Soccer where everybody runs back and forth up and down the field. One team mate kicking the ball to other team mates and the other guys trying to get the ball. The only way that one member can help another is by yelling "The ball is coming your way". Great teamwork there. Let me not forget all the teamwork that goes on when all the guys stand together to prevent a free kick. Then for 30 secs or so, about 5-10 times per game (I'm guessing) in what seems like a 4 hour game (I'm guessing) something exciting happens. Someone gets close to shooting the ball in the net. Run some picks and get a few passing assists and that's It. I think people get so excited about it because they wait so long for something exciting to happen that when it does it's euphoric.

i guess u never played soccer :D
one rule very soccer-player knows is: u do not only win with your play withz the ball, but how u move without the ball!
a quaterback can concentrate on every single drive and have the time to tell all others what he´s going to do before the ball gets thrown...
a (good) playmaker in soccer seems to be at every place at any time. he has to read the game, lead the game, often within seconds... and so have all 11 players on a team. everybody´s got to know what the other is doing and have to move all the time... not for nothing the real good players run about 10km a game (~ 6,5-7miles) i dont think a QB runs that much...

but to stay with the threat... i think the 4 major sports are just SOOOO important (not only popular, really important) that no other sport have a chance to get nearly in their position... kids who wanna be cool, play football or hockey or basketball or baseball... most of the american dad´s want their sons to be the great QB... but in the end its all the same here in europe (from my point of view germany) soccer is more important than politics, people stop working when there are world championship-games... the whole country got in a frenzy 2006 "only" for soccer. a hype not seen in germany since, about what, 70 years ago! i guess only that tradition and passion keeps both continents to stick with THEIR sport...

The USA did absolutely terrible yesterday...outside chance now for competing in the World Cup 2010.

but they play the confed-cup right now... it has nothing to do with the world cup qualifiers... even though the us boys are not that good, they are still good enough for the top 3 in northamerica.
or do the standings in the CONCACAF qualifiers speak another language? sorry, im not up to date with this one

nightwanker

Proud first owner of FreeOnes Playing Cards
but they play the confed-cup right now... it has nothing to do with the world cup qualifiers... even though the us boys are not that good, they are still good enough for the top 3 in northamerica.
or do the standings in the CONCACAF qualifiers speak another language? sorry, im not up to date with this one

2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa qualification
http://board.freeones.com/showthread.php?t=268451

CONCACAF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_-_CONCACAF_Fourth_Round

They dont understand simple games, they basically like taking simple sports and complicating the hell out of them and then calling them something else.

The U.S. team is shite right now. Not that I expected wins over Italy and Brazil, but I expected better showings. Maybe a draw with Italy.

Jay Demerit and Bennie Feilhaber need to be in the starting lineup from now on. Landon Donovan is still overhyped. The U.S. can't rely on too many shitty MLS players like Ricardo Clark and Conor Casey in the lineup. They'll inevitably fuck up in a big game.

I still think we'll qualify for the 2010 WC, but we sure as shit ain't #12 in the World anymore. I'd put us at #30.

We have no creativity anymore. I actually liked Coach Bradley's experiment with moving DeMarcus Beasley to Left Back. He could be the U.S.'s Gael Clichy......(or not)

The game is simply too low scoring for them (what each doesnt score double figures!). The crowds probably cant even comprehend a draw 0-0 2-2 etc... They actual playing time per period is perhaps too long by about 15 mins for the average sports fan.

Because they cant call it "The world series...." calling it national/domestic would be too counter productive!