• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Beer-Lovers Thread

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
I have been primarily a beer aficionado for many years and always delight in trying new varieties of the brewmasters' craft. Although I'll try almost any brew, I am basically a lager lover....not real fond of heavy stouts or porters or the other hoppy beers that seem to become popular with certain beer lovers on a come-and-go basis. I much prefer malt beers and ales as opposed to bitter hefeweizens and such. I also am not a fan of the fruity brews that have gained in popularity in recent years. They are interesting for a change of pace but I could never see myself to be a steady drinker of same. Pale, creamy and dark ales are fine as well since they are typically malty and full-bodied. To me, however, the main qualities that a beer needs to have in order to qualify as "excellent" is a bright and robust bouquet, a clear and vibrant look in the glass or mug emanating from a solid degree of natural carbonation that results in a foamy and structured head that doesn't dissipate quickly, a clean, crisp flavor that awakens the taste buds without overwhelming them and, most importantly, a nice clean finish that leaves no bitter or sour aftertaste and only leaves the palate only wanting for more. Fortunately, I know of many excellent beers that meet these requirements.

The purpose of this thread is to invite comments and suggestions for various brews for which you may have developed a preference. These can be either microbrews or mass-produced beers....matters not to me since I can easily find satisfaction in both depending on their individual qualities. The latest object of my affection is a regional brand from St. Louis called Kräftig. It's a really nice, full-bodied and clean lager brewed in the tradition of the German Beer Purity Laws known as Reinheitsgebot....one of only a select few of American beers to adhere to the standards (stupulates that beer can only be made from water, barley malt, yeast and hops). So many beers nowadays use corn, rice (it's on the Budweiser label), corn syrup, enzymes (to hurry fermentation) and "foam enhancers"....whatever those are!) I had to ask a friend of mine to bootleg some into Houston for me recently and I have been enjoying it for several days now. Although only in existence since 2011, it won two awards at the U.S. Beer Championships in Atlanta last year so it's definitely worth a try if you're a lager fan like me. Interesting sidelight: It is owned and brewed by Gussie Busch's youngest son, Billy. He is currently the only member of the iconic Busch brewing family who is producing his own product after the sale of Anheuser-Busch to InBev back in 2008. Good for him....his dad would be proud. Can't wait for it to be readily available in Houston because I could easily be a convert....at least for a little while. See more about it here if interested:

http://www.kraftig.com/

Any favorites or current infatuations any other like-minded beer lovers can offer are very welcome here! I'm always looking for new and interesting beers to try so hopefully we can all help each other out. Drink up! :beer: :glugglug: :beer:

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
I've seen a ton of stuff online that I want to try, and the Texas Renaissance Festival is always a great place to try something new. Tried a brew called Arrogant Bastard with one of the brother-in-laws a couple of years ago, but it was too aggressive for my tastes. Recently got into a debate over the merits of Sam Adams vs Shiner Bock. Party in question asserted that Sam Adams was a "dark" beer, whatever they thought that was supposed to mean. I had to pour a Sam Adams and a Shiner Bock and let a comparison be made side by side, of course Shiner is a darker beer than Sam Adams, but still got an argument, of the two I'll take Shiner. I've found that I can tolerate at least one of any beer as long as it's served in a clean glass, I'm not a fan of beer straight out of the bottle or can and I never drink two in a row. I like beer, but have no desire to get drunk.

The Penis Mightier

Kameltoe Harris = Poop
Arrogant Bastard is like Guinness except more Guinnessy. 7.2% alcohol.

arrogant-bastard-beer.jpg

I don't always drink beer, but when I do ... oh fuck it, that shtick is so played out.

I drink bourbon mostly but I like Guinness as a staple beer. I like most stouts and porters over lighter beers. My favorites are from a brewery in Oregon called Deschutes. Black Butte Porter, Obsidian Stout and Mirror Pond Ale are some of my faves.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
I'm a Guinness lover too. Black and tans are quite tasty. I enjoy a specific faux black and tan comprised of a couple of Las Vegas local brews. they have a great stout and a nice light that mix well. They go down smooth.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
I drink a lot of "Great Lakes Brewing Co." beer. My favorits are "Elliot Ness", and amber lager, and "Dortmunder Gold", a German style lager. They also make a seasonal "Oktoberfest" which is an Amber, much like Elliot, and "Conway's Irish Ale" around St. Patty's day. Not a bad price, around $10.00 a six pack.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
Anyone else homebrew? I've done it a few times. It's pretty fun.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
I, too, am fond of a good small batch bourbon, or Scotch, but again, it's not something I drink with an eye to getting drunk. That's the one, Dino, my bro-in-law couldn't finish his. lol I suggested a plate of Fish n' Chips and everything was right with the world again.

I have been an all grain Home Brewer for many years. I have been enjoying ESB style for a little over a year now. It is a quite an intoxicating Hobby (Pun intended).
If anyone is interested, one of the best books written for the newcomer is “How to Brew” by John Palmer. http://www.howtobrew.com/
The Online edition is very well written, and easy to understand.

Mr. Daystar

I must be the only person in the world with Irish DNA that hates Guinness..

Nope. My best friend is 100%, and he can't stand it. But he does like a good drink of beer, as opposed to your standard Bud/miller swill.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
Nope. My best friend is 100%, and he can't stand it. But he does like a good drink of beer, as opposed to your standard Bud/miller swill.

Awesome. That makes two of us. Although in fairness, I have to go back at least three generations before I get to 100%, and that's only on one side.

Mr. Daystar

Arrogant Bastard is like Guinness except more Guinnessy. 7.2% alcohol.

arrogant-bastard-beer.jpg

Is it ANYTHING like an IPA? Which by the way, just not a fan of grapefruit flavored beer....but to be honest, never had a Guinness.

Elwood70 said:
Awesome. That makes two of us. Although in fairness, I have to go back at least three generations before I get to 100%, and that's only on one side.

No this dude is like 100% for generations...probably to Celtec blood. His mom has gone to Ireland several times. He's so pale, he's almost see through.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
Is it ANYTHING like an IPA? Which by the way, just not a fan of grapefruit flavored beer....but to be honest, never had a Guinness.

No this dude is like 100% for generations...probably to Celtec blood. His mom has gone to Ireland several times. He's so pale, he's almost see through.

I'm not. I've got the skin, the hair, the overwhelmingly Irish surname, but that's pretty much it.

That makes two of us that hate Guinness. Everybody else I know that's a beer drinker loves it.

Harpsman

Light one for Me

:1orglaugh

This may sound stupid or simplistic but there is good Guinness and not so good Guinness. Depends where and how it is served. Unfortunately a lot of people are put off Guinness because their 1st experience of the stuff is of 'bad' Guinness.

I like lots of different beer styles, also and especially craft beers. IPAs, stouts, Belgian style beers, German style Hefeweizen... and sometimes, a Budweiser.