• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Socrates, the Brazilian football legend, dies aged 57 after eating beef stroganoff

RIP

Socrates, Brazilian football legend, dies at the age of 57 after eating beef stroganoff

article-0-0F0BE8BA00000578-250_233x423.jpg

Icon: At 6ft 4ins Socrates was towering star on the football field

Brazilian football legend Socrates died today at the age of 57 after falling ill following a meal of beef stroganoff.

He had been in hospital in San Paolo with food poisoning and was on a life support machine with septic shock when he passed away.

It was the third time in four months he had been treated at an intensive care unit since alcohol abuse caused his stomach to hemorrhage in August.

Socrates, who leaves a wife and six sons, had been hoping his health would stabilise ahead of a liver transplant after a spending another 17 days in hospital in September.

The idol of the 1982 World Cup was admitted to Albert Einstein Israeli Hospital on Thursday after feeling sick during a meal at a hotel in Sao Paulo with his wife and a friend.

They were all treated for poisoning, but his body was too frail to cope and suffered septic shock which claimed his life in the early hours of this morning.

Breathing apparatus was needed and he was also put on dialysis machines to remove bacteria from his blood.

Socrates won 60 caps and was easily recognisable in his playing days as a bearded 6ft 4in midfield genius with great passing ability.

article-0-0F09890900000578-804_468x286.jpg

Legend: Brazil's Socrates had been in hospital for alcohol abuse

article-2069755-01B6F4C10000044D-575_468x438.jpg

Soccer maestro: Socrates won 80 caps playing for Brazil

He was nicknamed O Doutor - The Doctor - as he graduated as medical student during the early years of his football career.

Most closely associated with Corinthians, his only stint outside of Brazil was playing for Fiorentina for the 1984-85 season, though he also played 12 minutes for West Yorkshire team Garforth Town in 2004.

Alcohol had blighted his life in recent times, though less than a fortnight ago he insisted he was not dependent on drink.

article-2069755-00C8CEF71000044C-391_468x408.jpg

Illness: Socrates was taken ill after eating stroganoff last week

'I never had many problems with alcohol because I was not addicted,' he told SporTV. 'All the time I interacted with alcohol as if it were a partner, but I never had withdrawal symptoms. I spent long periods without use.

'I do not feel like drinking. It is five months since I put a drop of alcohol in my mouth. I do not miss it.

'Obviously you have to change some of your behaviour and avoid risky situations, so to speak. In my case, it is easy. I have no addiction. For those with addiction it is much more complicated.'

Corinthians can clinch the Brazilian title later on Sunday and midfielder Alex says the players will fight with Socrates in their hearts.

article-2069755-0F0BE67E00000578-178_468x324.jpg

Success: Socrates is mobbed after scoring for Brazil

'The best tribute to all Corinthians fans is the confirmation of the title,' he said. 'And Socrates is a man who represents Corinthians well. He participated in an important part of the club's history. I hope we get this title in his name too.'

Simon Clifford, the man who was responsible for taking Socrates to Garforth, was quick to pay his respects.

Writing on his Twitter page, he said: 'Another sad weekend for football with the passing of our friend Socrates, wonderful player & principled man who stood by his values, RIP.'

Socrates was named in World Soccer's top 100 players of all-time and was put up as one of compatriot Pele's 125 greatest-ever players.

His brother Rai succeeded where he failed, winning the World Cup with Brazil in 1994.

article-2069755-041D2CD1000005DC-474_468x515.jpg

Battle: The Brazilian hero had suffered from alcoholism

THE CAREER OF THE MAN THEY CALLED THE DOCTOR

1954: Born Socrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Souza Vieira de Oliveira on February 19 in Belem do Para, Brazil.
1974: Makes professional debut for Botafogo.
1978: Joins Corinthians, going on to play almost 300 games for the club.
1979: Makes Brazil debut, going on to win 60 caps and score 22 goals.
1982: Captains Brazil in 1982 World Cup but they fail to make it past the second round.
1984: Joins Italian side Fiorentina.
1986: Returns to Brazil to play for Flamengo. Plays for Brazil in World Cup but they lose in the quarter-fnals to France on penalties.
1989: Returns to Botafogo.
2004: More than a decade after retiring from action, agrees to a one-month player-coaching deal with Northern Counties East side Garforth Town. Plays 12 minutes in a 2-2 draw against Tadcaster Albion.
2008: Inducted into the Pacembu Brazilian Football Museum Hall of Fame.
2011: Dies in Sao Paulo.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-age-57-eating-stroganoff.html#ixzz1faLaceNm

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Re: Socrates, the Brazilian football legend, dies aged 57 after eating beef stroganof

He died after they were Russian him to the hospital. :facepalm:

Sorry...:crying:

RIP. Thoughts to the family.

Re: Socrates, the Brazilian football legend, dies aged 57 after eating beef stroganof

Was it Hamburger Helper?

R.I.P. Dr. Socrates. Today, Corinthians won the brazilian championship and the players did a great tribute, dedicating to him the title.

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family

He died doing what he enjoyed, anyway I never heard of him but he will be missed by the Brazilian and football fans everywhere.

tartanterrier

Is somewhere outhere.

I just hope he never complained about his Stroganoff being too cold :facepalm:

RIP Socrates :angels:

Ace Bandage

The one and only.

Could have been worse... they could have forced him to drink hemlock.