• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

So I Drove My First Hybrid and.....

maildude

Postal Paranoiac

No. 3. In order to run in the highway, Toyoto Primus has to turn to the gas engine. Basically it is a slow moving car if you just depend on the electric hydrid part of the engine.

That's pretty much true of all hybrids. They switch from gas to electric and back. When you need more power--like on the freeway or when it's cold--the gas engine takes over. The electric assist is there for idling and start-up, also to an extent with acceleration.

Let me add to this that a plug in electric car does nothing really to help the enviorment or lessen the burning of coal,oil and gas unless the electricity is generated in a clean way(at least as far as Co2 goes) such as nuclear power.Not to mention all those toxic batteries we will end up.People keep looking for a way to pretty much live as we always have with growing popualtion worldwide and less resources while cleaning up the enviorment and having less impact is really a pipe dream which will never come to be.But we keep looking for technology to save us from technology,but want it all to be cheap and without any risks or downsides.Just build some wind farms,put up some solar panels and buy those new lightbulbs and all will be well.:rolleyes::1orglaugh

Philbert

Banned
Yeah, it just won't make you feel like a real man if you're not killing something or poisoning the environment.

How did I say anything like that? What am I killing? Harleys use less gas, produce less emmissions than a small car, and are EPA emissions compliant.

You just wanted to be a jerk, or insult me, huh?
Well, you suceeded in the first part, at least.

I feel like a man walking down the street...unlike small people who need something to give them some feeling of worth, I ride bikes for the joy of it, not for any other reason.
Never rode with a group, never got a tat, never claimed any status...just like to ride all day on my cruiser.
From your statement, you need objects to give you your status. Sad, but not my problem.

I was making fun of your attitude towards hybrids. Keep your pants on. However, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that I apparently succeeded in the second part as well, given your rather entertaining reaction. Without even trying, I might add.

And yes, Friday, I'm aware that alternate fuels require infrastructure to be developed to support them to provide any real benefits (although non-fossil fuels tend to have less non-CO2 pollution). Especially in the case of electric vehicles, there's room for improvement though. For fossil fuels, we've pretty much peaked.

Edit: Oh, and Philbert... When you want to claim the moral high ground, it generally helps if you try avoiding doing the same as the opposition but on a grander scale.

Philbert

Banned
I was making fun of your attitude towards hybrids. Keep your pants on. However, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that I apparently succeeded in the second part as well, given your rather entertaining reaction. Without even trying, I might add.
Edit: Oh, and Philbert... When you want to claim the moral high ground, it generally helps if you try avoiding doing the same as the opposition but on a grander scale.
If you wanted to make fun of my attitude towards Hybrids, something witty and obvious would have worked. You just got out a crude insult, not even a good one...
I'm glad you were entertained, but you don't have enough to insult me...you can try, sure, but you display a lack of smarts and class that makes you ineffective. I can be insulted by someone I respect, not by you.
You like to use a lot of words, but say pretty much nothing.
It's your time to waste...

Like I said, your reaction speaks for itself. It is in stark contrast to your claims about not caring. Not my original intention, but I'm flexible.

Alright, let's give this a try: Hey, you managed to make your way through a high school physics book yet? Oh yeah, I remember you now, God boy. You should probably avoid commenting on my use of words that say nothing, given that discussion.

Philbert

Banned
Like I said, your reaction speaks for itself. It is in stark contrast to your claims about not caring. Not my original intention, but I'm flexible.

Alright, let's give this a try: Hey, you managed to make your way through a high school physics book yet? Oh yeah, I remember you now, God boy. You should probably avoid commenting on my use of words that say nothing, given that discussion.

Ahh...another occasion where you were excessively wordy, yet lost the "argument" due to a lack of actual knowledge? You seem to be fixated on an old thread, did it make you feel good for some reason?
Is God boy supposed to be another insult? You feel OK using someones personal belief in God as a source of insult?
Like I said, lack of class puts you outside those who are effective at insulting me.

You seem to be fixated on an old thread, did it make you feel good for some reason?

A fixation requires more than a mention, I think.

Is God boy supposed to be another insult? You feel OK using someones personal belief in God as a source of insult?

When used the way you did, then yes. As I pointed out in that thread, I have no problem with spirituality. It doesn't promote understanding however, as evidenced by the fact that theology has been more or less static since Islam came to be some 1400 years ago, only changing when society has changed enough to force religion to adapt. Hence why idiocy such as intelligent design should be kept separate from science. In those cases, I have no qualms whatsoever about ridiculing faith that tries to do more than it can handle.

Ahh...another occasion where you were excessively wordy, yet lost the "argument" due to a lack of actual knowledge?

Lack of actual knowledge, was it? Alright then, let's get going. I'll give you an easy one:
"Yet particles have been recorded that exceed the speed of light, and yet retain measureable physical properties."

Which particle might that be?

Philbert

Banned
A fixation requires more than a mention, I think.

When used the way you did, then yes. As I pointed out in that thread, I have no problem with spirituality. It doesn't promote understanding however, as evidenced by the fact that theology has been more or less static since Islam came to be some 1400 years ago, only changing when society has changed enough to force religion to adapt. Hence why idiocy such as intelligent design should be kept separate from science. In those cases, I have no qualms whatsoever about ridiculing faith that tries to do more than it can handle.

Lack of actual knowledge, was it? Alright then, let's get going. I'll give you an easy one:
"Yet particles have been recorded that exceed the speed of light, and yet retain measureable physical properties."
Which particle might that be?
While I admire your tenacious attempts, at no time have I ever espoused Intelligent Design, here or anywhere. That's just dumb, but nice try at the insinuation.
As for your Pop quiz...You're the one clutching the High School Physics Book, look it up.

You are jacking this thread for silly posts; if you gotta try to show off, post videos on YouTube. :2offtopic
You should learn to use PM for personal messages, although I am less than interested in your silly thoughts on things. Still, this isn't the "Imagine thread", stop taking up people's time and posting in the Hybrid thread.

Facetious

Moderated
Neener - neener :tongue: Don's turning into a progressive :1orglaugh J/K :jester:

FYI - FWIW

I was surprised about this. I would have thought that this problem would have been worked out prior to the vehicles' release.

I'm willing to move to the other thread if you are. I'm very interested in learning all you can teach me of physics, you are obviously in possession of a great deal more than most people. For example, last time I checked, superluminal particles were still theoretical.

Oh and nice try at the insinuation of the insinuation. No wonder you "win" arguments.

Philbert

Banned
I'm willing to move to the other thread if you are. I'm very interested in learning all you can teach me of physics, you are obviously in possession of a great deal more than most people. For example, last time I checked, superluminal particles were still theoretical.

Oh and nice try at the insinuation of the insinuation. No wonder you "win" arguments.
Theoretical? Maybe need to upgrade to a College Physics Book? This is the last response on this subject I am making...
http://www.politicsandcurrentaffairs.co.uk/Forum/general-chat/40905-sci-we-have-broken.html
BTW... Physics is not a big interest of mine...you collect facts, I an interested in knowledge.

I am thinking about trading in my IS300 for a Prius. Sounds like it's a great car to own.

Mhmm, a non-scientific article from 2007 with no follow-up. A quick search on the names revealed a bit of criticism, not entirely unexpected. Give me a published report, and please, don't insult me with the group velocity vs front velocity stupidity.

Namreg

Banned
well, i must throw in my two cents...

1) hybrids are dumb. they do not save the environment. the batteries are toxic waste, and the cars take a lot more resources to build than a conventional car.
they also consume more fuel than say, a VW jetta turbodiesel, while providing much worse acceleration. the handling sucks because of the low rolling resistance tires, but if you replace them with good tires then fuel consumption goes up... the technology is simply nowhere near good enough to give the idea the execution it deserves.

2) i don't like harleys, but i do like bikes and therefore i support philbert here... maybe it's nostalgia, but imagine one day BMW replace their flat twins with a battery pack... shudder.

3) the iphone sucks. like all other apple products, it is overpriced, underfeatured, has lousy quality, and is compatible with nothing. so yes, the prius is indeed iphonish, although toyota's reputation for quality is much better than apple's (which is non-existent).

oh, and for some entertainment:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

If I had the money to buy a new car, which I don't, and I was looking for one I might consider buying a hybrid if:

1: They made them affordable and not any more expensive than other standard cars.

2: They are durable, last a long time, and all more complicated systems in them don't break down any more than vary rarely and don't cost a lot to get fixed. This counts the durability and the lifespan of the batteries they use.

3: If they can get through the snow well.

4: They are safe and I wouldn't have to risk dying in a crash or have to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars in the event of a minor fender bender.

5: When the day came I needed to get rid of it, it will be easy to find somebody to properly take care of the batteries or find somebody that would do it for cheap.

Geez....

Gimmie a nice '69 Dodge Charger R/T any day *dream*!

Hybrids are not an answer, to anything. They are only a response to the "I'm hip, I'm GREEN" crowd.

I don't ride a Harley for speed, I ride it 'cause it feels and sounds like a Harley.
All other things aside, I could lean back a little while cruising at 75 or 80 and just listen to my motor, and feel real good.
I've had 4 cylinder *** bikes that were screamers, but the sound at cruising speed was more like a sewing machine than a rumble.
I enjoy the sound.

...and what do you say to those who have to hear the sound your Harley makes but don't enjoy it?

(Personally, I always thought that Harleys sounded like a big fat dude letting loose with some big farts in a bathtub with about an inch or two of water in it - more comical than cool.)

:dunno:

Facetious

Moderated
(Personally, I always thought that Harleys sounded like a big fat dude letting loose with some big farts in a bathtub with about an inch or two of water in it - more comical than cool.)

:dunno:

as opposed the quiet whisper of an effeminate emaciated male doing the same, albeit inside his mud puddle sunken hybrid ?

C'mon King ! There's got to be some guy things that you like above and beyond your ability to politicize them.