• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL 2008-2009 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How bout them Capitals?!?!!? :D :D :D

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
the best thing about the Caps win was Sean Avery was on the ice when the Caps scored the game-winner. Bruins - Canes should be a great series. I see Bruins - Pens in East Finals.

I am rooting for Pens to sweep the Caps. It will bring a smile to my face when that egoistic Ovechkin is sent packing.

member979979

Closed Account
the best thing about the Caps win was Sean Avery was on the ice when the Caps scored the game-winner. Bruins - Canes should be a great series. I see Bruins - Pens in East Finals.

No the best thing about the Caps win is no more hearing about Sean Avery the rest of the playoffs :glugglug:

Two of my picks didn't win their first round series, including my Stanley Cup winner pick. Since San Jose and New Jersey were eliminated, I need to make new second round predictions:

Anaheim vs. Detroit - Detroit in 6. Detroit's depth is just too much to handle. Having Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hossa is such an incredible luxury because those guys aren't just unbelievable scorers, they're three of the best defensive forwards in the NHL as well.

Chicago vs. Vancouver - Vancouver in 7. I think this could be an incredible series. The Blackhawks definitely have more skill, especially with their forwards, but Luongo will balance that out I think. The X-factor in this series is Khabibulin; if the Bulin Wall has a stellar series I think the 'Hawks will win, but if he falters they'll get beat. I expect him to falter.

Carolina vs. Boston - Carolina in 7. This is incredibly tough to call, but a lot of the 'Canes have pretty good playoff experience, including Cam Ward, who led his team to the Cup in '06, which I will never forget, as I am a diehard Oilers fan.

Pittsburgh vs. Washington - Pittsburgh in 6. Their intensity against the Flyers was impressive, as was their poise. Good on the Capitals for their comeback and for making it past the first round, but their lack of experience will hurt them.

Western Conference Final:

Vancouver vs. Detroit - Vancouver in 7. Nothing short of a heroic performance by Luongo will be required to beat the Red Wings, but I think the Canucks will get just that.

Eastern Conference Final:

Carolina vs. Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh in 6. Their superior skill will be too much for the 'Canes.

Stanley Cup Final:

Pittsburgh vs. Vancouver - Pittsburgh in 6. As much as I want the Canucks to win the Cup this year, I think it's the Penguins year at this point. They've just really impressed me thus far.

Conn Smythe Trophy: Sidney Crosby, this guy is growing on me in a big way. I've been so impressed by his intensity, poise, and leadership so far, not to mention 4 goals and 4 assists in 6 games.

Marlo Manson

Hello Sexy girl how your Toes doing?
There's No way any team in the west beats Detroit in a 7 game series with Detroit having home ice advantage. :nono: I don't care how physical the Ducks try to play, the Redwings PP will kill them.

Vancouver Can't beat Detroit in 7 games even if luongo plays the best he's ever played. Detroit can roll four lines with Zetterberg on one line, Datsyuk on a 2nd line, and Hossa on a 3rd line or vice versa not to mention, all the spare parts, Holmstrom, Franzen, fillpulla, hudler, sameulson, please Vancouver can't shut all that down for seven full games. :rolleyes:

I love when people under estimate the Redwings every year for this reason or that reason, prolly cuz they are the Cream of the Crop sort to speak, year after year, and they haven't had a 1st round pick since Martin Lapointe in the early Nineties if I am correct. :eek::dunno:

Nothing is a certain, thats why they play the games. :yesyes: but in the end don't hate when and if the Redwings make it to the finals again.

IMO the ONLY team that could possibly beat Detroit is Boston, if Boston makes it to the finals? and that's only if Boston doesn't get intimidated or out played by a playoff savvy team such as the Redwings. but we shall indeed findout. :hatsoff:

There's No way any team in the west beats Detroit in a 7 game series with Detroit having home ice advantage. :nono: I don't care how physical the Ducks try to play, the Redwings PP will kill them.

Vancouver Can't beat Detroit in 7 games even if luongo plays the best he's ever played. Detroit can roll four lines with Zetterberg on one line, Datsyuk on a 2nd line, and Hossa on a 3rd line or vice versa not to mention, all the spare parts, Holmstrom, Franzen, fillpulla, hudler, sameulson, please Vancouver can't shut all that down for seven full games. :rolleyes:

I love when people under estimate the Redwings every year for this reason or that reason, prolly cuz they are the Cream of the Crop sort to speak, year after year, and they haven't had a 1st round pick since Martin Lapointe in the early Nineties if I am correct. :eek::dunno:

Nothing is a certain, thats why they play the games. :yesyes: but in the end don't hate when and if the Redwings make it to the finals again.

IMO the ONLY team that could possibly beat Detroit is Boston, if Boston makes it to the finals? and that's only if Boston doesn't get intimidated or out played by a playoff savvy team such as the Redwings. but we shall indeed findout. :hatsoff:

you speak the truth. detroit could go undefeated the entire season, score 645 goals, allow 41 goals, 41 shutouts, break every team record and people would still say, "detroit is too soft to get it done in the playoffs" or some other bullshit like "european players cant lead a team":sleep:

i guess you can be the most successful team in the nhl for the past 20 years and still get no respect. :1orglaugh:thefinger

i guess you can be the most successful team in the nhl for the past 20 years and still get no respect. :1orglaugh:thefinger

or you can be the most successful team in the nhl and feal the wrath of us dumbasses who still want teams like toronto to get their shit together.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

i hate the wings. because i can. muttermuttermutter

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
Well, shit. Was worried there for a second, but Vancouver pulled though. :thumbsup: Hopefully this one won't be a sweep!

Chicago vs. Vancouver - Vancouver in 7. I think this could be an incredible series. The Blackhawks definitely have more skill, especially with their forwards, but Luongo will balance that out I think. The X-factor in this series is Khabibulin; if the Bulin Wall has a stellar series I think the 'Hawks will win, but if he falters they'll get beat. I expect him to falter.

Yeah, your totally right. Even though this is Luongo's second trip to the post season, if you look at Khabibulin's stats, they are actually better than Luongo's in the post season. When Khabibulin is on his game, he is definately one of the best in the league, and if he is on his game for the rest of this season, this could be a low scoring series for both sides. He didn't lead the Lightning to the Cup by playing bad, after all...

I know it's NHL play-off hockey and I'm psyched about the Bruins, and I'm following the other games too, but I was wondering if here's anyone not from North America following the WC in Switzerland? Yesterday's game between Sweden and Russia was a real treat. Unfortunately the Swedes lost it 5:6 in OT, but it was great fun to watch. Also the 6:5 come from behid win of Sweden against the US.

Trying not to get too much ahead of things, but I'm really looking forward to the 2010 hockey tournament in Vancouver, this could be the greatest hockey competition of all time.

Oh, and BTW, picking the Canes over the Bruins? Ha ha ha ha ha ha...that's a good one. I think Carolina will be a handful and they will put up one hell of a fight, but the Bruins won't underestimate them (unlike the Devils did) and the Black-and-Gold is just superior in every single way. And only because Cam Ward and some other guys have play-off experience doesn't help them to an upset.

But what I could agree with is taking Pittsburgh over Washington, and I would predict that it will come down to the seventh game where Malkin outplays Ovechkin for the win.

you speak the truth. detroit could go undefeated the entire season, score 645 goals, allow 41 goals, 41 shutouts, break every team record and people would still say, "detroit is too soft to get it done in the playoffs" or some other bullshit like "european players cant lead a team":sleep:

I think they were a bit soft in 2005-2006. They have played much more aggressively in the past two years. Of course you can throw the "Euro Soft" thing out the window after last years. A couple of my friends that root for the Pens were amazed how well they banged the boards and were so physical in the cup series...

GO WINGS!

Marlo Manson

Hello Sexy girl how your Toes doing?
you speak the truth. detroit could go undefeated the entire season, score 645 goals, allow 41 goals, 41 shutouts, break every team record and people would still say, "detroit is too soft to get it done in the playoffs" or some other bullshit like "european players cant lead a team"sleep:

i guess you can be the most successful team in the nhl for the past 20 years and still get no respect. 1orglaughthefinger

:yesyes::hatsoff:

I think they were a bit soft in 2005-2006. They have played much more aggressively in the past two years. Of course you can throw the "Euro Soft" thing out the window after last years. A couple of my friends that root for the Pens were amazed how well they banged the boards and were so physical in the cup series...

GO WINGS!

Oh yeah.. I have noticed a very distinct change from the regular season to the playoff season in the way the Red Wings play now.

The Wings are like screw it, we will show how good we are, get our points and top four seed, have home ice advantage, then we add the physical intensity and thats gonna throw everybody off. :yesyes:

Another funny thing I just realized while thinking about the EAST playoffs UNLESS the Bruins make it to the finals it will be a rehashed, fairly recent repeat matchup for the cup finals, IE. (1998) it was the Capitals (2002) it was the Hurricanes and (2008) it was the Penguins?? :rolleyes::D

and the bruins are 1 of the only teams I fear could beat the RED WINGS if they played a perfect series. :eek::uohs: I would certainly hate to feel like I did in 95 when the Devils taught us a lesson. :eyeso:

Status
Not open for further replies.