• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL 2008-2009 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pittsburgh and Carolina are no chumps. They won't be easy for Detroit or Chicago to beat. I can see Pittsburgh taking it all. And Hossa regretting his decision.

'nother let down for me with Boston. Wow. what...a...let down. I hate it when those Sun Belt teams win, especially against Original Six teams. No offense to the Lightning fans here. :o :1orglaugh

Carolina vs. Boston - Carolina in 7. This is incredibly tough to call, but a lot of the 'Canes have pretty good playoff experience, including Cam Ward, who led his team to the Cup in '06, which I will never forget, as I am a diehard Oilers fan.

Oh, and BTW, picking the Canes over the Bruins? Ha ha ha ha ha ha...that's a good one. I think Carolina will be a handful and they will put up one hell of a fight, but the Bruins won't underestimate them (unlike the Devils did) and the Black-and-Gold is just superior in every single way. And only because Cam Ward and some other guys have play-off experience doesn't help them to an upset.

Time for you to eat your words bandanoantri. To think that the Bruins could lose is that laughable is in itself laughable. It was a great and close series, but my prediction held true. Playoff experience means so much more than what a team did in the regular season come playoff time. Never bet against a Conn Smythe Trophy-winning goalie either. You have to look deeper than the seeds and the lineups dude. There's so much more to it than that in the playoffs. I'll be wrong from time to time (I'm 9/12 so far, so there you go, I've been wrong already), but I'll never look at anything as a sure thing or as a laughable possibility, not after all of the "upsets" I've seen over the years. This is hockey man, anything can happen and great players with grit, determination, and heart make them happen.

Man :( I really thought this was Boston's year. How does a 1st ranked team lose to a 6th rank team? Unbelievable.

I knew after the way the 3rd period ended it was Carolina's. I just had a hunch. Samsanov is a beast. Carolina really was flying out there.

There is no loyalty in pro sports anymore. Hard to find career one-teamers, like my all time fave, Joe Sakic.

I knew after the way the 3rd period ended it was Carolina's. I just had a hunch. Samsanov is a beast. Carolina really was flying out there.

There is no loyalty in pro sports anymore. Hard to find career one-teamers, like my all time fave, Joe Sakic.

Don't forget Vincent Lecavalier ! He wants to stay in Tampa his whole career , it won't be his decision to leave the team.

Mauser98k

Closed Account
Don't forget Vincent Lecavalier ! He wants to stay in Tampa his whole career , it won't be his decision to leave the team.

Vinny is a rare find in today's sports.

i predict he will remain a Lightning as well. i can't fathom the owners thinking anything good would come from trading him.

member979979

Closed Account
I'm beginning to wonder is players are just too fatigued. Do guys feel there needs to be more down time in between games between all the traveling? To me it just seemed like the Caps and the Bruins looked dead out there. Even Ove wasnt being Ove.

Pittsburgh and Carolina are no chumps. They won't be easy for Detroit or Chicago to beat. I can see Pittsburgh taking it all. And Hossa regretting his decision.

I am hoping for a Stanley rematch vs the Pen's. The Pens are a year smarter, but I still think the Red Wings pull it out in 6 games, if they meet. Carolina and Chicago will prove to be tough match ups. I think Hossa made a fine choice.

GO RED WINGS!

More predictions:

Chicago vs. Detroit - Detroit in 6. I hope the Blackhawks win, but I don't see them overcoming the depth and experience of the Red Wings. The Blackhawks have beat two teams with very thin forward lineups that they could just outscore, but now they're up against the deepest forward lineup in the NHL. Not to mention they have great D (Jonathan Ericsson has looked stellar on the defensive end so far this postseason) and a pretty good goalie who plays well against the Blackhawks.

Carolina vs. Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh in 7. Marc-Andre Fleury simply has to keep the Pens in the game, kind of like Grant Fuhr would do for the Oilers in their glory years; if Pittsburgh only scores one goal then he needs to turn in a shutout, but if they score a bunch of goals then he doesn't have to play so well. That's what I think the difference will be. Fleury has not been all that impressive this postseason, while Cam Ward has been the best goalie in the playoffs so far once again. The Penguins are going to outshoot the 'Canes for sure and control the puck for the majority of the time, but if Ward won't let anything in then it won't matter, but like I said, I think Fleury will do enough to win the series.

Stanley Cup Final:

Pittsburgh vs. Detroit - Pittsburgh in 7. One team loses Marian Hossa and the other one gains Marian Hossa, yet the team that lost him will win in the end, makes no sense, right, but that's what I think is going to happen. The Penguins look like the team to beat to me right now. Malkin has come out looking like the greatest player in the game the last 5 games of the series against the Caps, where he outshined Ovechkin. Crosby has been a monster this postseason, scoring more goals than I would have ever predicted and playing with so much intensity, poise, and leadership. It'll be tough to beat the Red Wings, but I think it's Pitts' year this year.

Conn Smythe Trophy Winner - Sidney Crosby.

More predictions:

Chicago vs. Detroit - Detroit in 6. I hope the Blackhawks win, but I don't see them overcoming the depth and experience of the Red Wings. The Blackhawks have beat two teams with very thin forward lineups that they could just outscore, but now they're up against the deepest forward lineup in the NHL. Not to mention they have great D (Jonathan Ericsson has looked stellar on the defensive end so far this postseason) and a pretty good goalie who plays well against the Blackhawks.

Carolina vs. Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh in 7. Marc-Andre Fleury simply has to keep the Pens in the game, kind of like Grant Fuhr would do for the Oilers in their glory years; if Pittsburgh only scores one goal then he needs to turn in a shutout, but if they score a bunch of goals then he doesn't have to play so well. That's what I think the difference will be. Fleury has not been all that impressive this postseason, while Cam Ward has been the best goalie in the playoffs so far once again. The Penguins are going to outshoot the 'Canes for sure and control the puck for the majority of the time, but if Ward won't let anything in then it won't matter, but like I said, I think Fleury will do enough to win the series.

Stanley Cup Final:

Pittsburgh vs. Detroit - Pittsburgh in 7. One team loses Marian Hossa and the other one gains Marian Hossa, yet the team that lost him will win in the end, makes no sense, right, but that's what I think is going to happen. The Penguins look like the team to beat to me right now. Malkin has come out looking like the greatest player in the game the last 5 games of the series against the Caps, where he outshined Ovechkin. Crosby has been a monster this postseason, scoring more goals than I would have ever predicted and playing with so much intensity, poise, and leadership. It'll be tough to beat the Red Wings, but I think it's Pitts' year this year.

Conn Smythe Trophy Winner - Sidney Crosby.

:glugglug: Well thought out post!

I think Detroit is too deep line wise to fail to secure the cup against a possible rematch against Pittsburgh. Their first and second lines match up scoring wise, if Datsyuk can get out of his funk. He is playing hard, but is drawing the opponents best defender. Detroit's 3rd and 4th line are a X factor that other teams just dont have. The 7th game was won by the lesser stars on the team Hurdler, Helm, Cleary etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.