• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: FINALLY!

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After more than five years of breathless anticipation, soaring hopes, crushing disappointments, endless accusations and behind-the-scenes intrigue, the dream fight the boxing world has longed for is finally becoming a reality: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao. On May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, “The Sweet Science” will give the world something it has sorely lacked for the longest time – a fight that will stop the world on its axis.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/381257-mayweather-pacquiao-is-here-kiss-the-record-book-goodbye

HBO's Jim Lampley and Roy Jones Jr will reportedly call the fight along with Showtime's Al Bernstein, with Max Kellerman (HBO) and Jim Gray (SHO) as additional reporters handling interviews and such.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/2/2...-lampley-bernstein-jones-reportedly-will-call

Odds: Mayweather -250 over Pacquiao +200

espnaddict

Banned
Manny could win, but the odds are small. No way he beats Floyd on points, he will have to land some huge punches and knock him out. Which is really unlikely with how good Floyd's defense is.

Only people with a $250,000 credit line with MGM can get ringside seats, says Bob Arum

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
This fight will probably not live up to the hype. Mayweather will do his points-fighting and will win a decision. He will go down as a greatest ever candidate, but I prefer the Haglers and Hearnses of the boxing world. For the record, there is no way I pay for this fight. Five years ago? Maybe. Now? No way.

This fight will probably not live up to the hype. Mayweather will do his points-fighting and will win a decision. He will go down as a greatest ever candidate, but I prefer the Haglers and Hearnses of the boxing world. For the record, there is no way I pay for this fight. Five years ago? Maybe. Now? No way.

I'm with you. Both fighters are on the decline. In 2010 this would have been fight of the century.

I was interested in "this fight" 5 years. They lost me probably a couple years ago. Don't even have a desire to go out of my way to see it at this point, honestly.

Mark my words it will be a dud of a fight. I just feel it in my gut. Mayweather waited (ducked) this past 5 years for a washed up Pacquiao.

Mayweather on decision, IMO.

Pacquiao 145
Mayweather 146

I really hope Manny will kick Floyd's ass Greatest boxer alive, my ass. He's not even the the top 3 (Ali, Tyson, Foreman)

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
I admit:

I voted after the fight ;)

Must try to watch it, what I read it was no fair judging

feller469

I did not order the fight, and from what I read, the fight may have hurt boxing more than it helped. Another over-hyped event that was more about making money than the sport. Why would anyone shell out any money for boxing again?

I'm not going to say that Mayweather isn't good or isn't even historically great at his sport. Nobody goes 48-0 at the top level of a combat sport because of luck. I do think however that basically his career comes down to a few factors:

1. He's a large fish in a small pond. He's never actually had to go through historically great competition like the best boxers of it's past had done. This was perhaps his biggest test, and lets be honest, Pacquiao is well into his decline and is starting to get washed up. It's not that impressive, and I don't see too many, if any, bouts in his career that have been impressive epically memorable wins people will remember through the years. I think the chance he probably dodged Pacquiao in his prime until now are pretty good also. For a historically great 48-0 boxer to only have maybe one historically memorable fight and even then only because of the circus atmosphere surrounding it and not because of action in the ring is pretty telling.

2. This goes along with point number one. Boxing, while it might occasionally generate good money on PPV, is at a low point for the sport since it started to become a major sport over a century ago. Most people, most casual fans even, probably couldn't even name any other boxer besides these two. That even goes for who the champs are let alone the high placed rank and file boxers. It's just not a sport most of the best athletes, especially in the US, want to get into anymore. Most people just don't care about it.

3. Even more than the above two points is that Mayweather might be the best of all time at manipulating the flaws in the structure and rules of boxing, especially in the modern day. At one time it was supposed, or at least thought, to simulate actual fighting. It doesn't. The thought it does is laughable. (MMA is more than proof of that.) Boxing doesn't have much real world correspondence to a real fight. Even not taking that into account modern boxing doesn't even coincide to the spirit of what it was supposed to be when it sport was created. It just wasn't meant to be a sport where somebody dances around all day evading and playing a defensive battle in the hopes of beating out the opponent by decision on points, or if we're being very generous slowly wearing out opponent to then beat them another way, instead of actually engaging the opponent. Mayweather is the best at doing that. That the boxing organizations and the athletic commissions have been so hidebound and corrupt not to change the rules (along with many other aspects of the sport) doesn't change the fact that boxing now is what it is.

So is Mayweather one of the best if not the best of all time in what boxing is? I would say yes. Is Mayweather one of the best at what boxing is thought to be throughout it's history and should be? No. He certainly isn't a "fighter", even by boxing standards. Boxing has only slightly more in common with actual fighting than tennis or volleyball now. He’s much more athlete than fighter. He's an athlete that has become very good at a flawed sport. One that's flawed both inside and outside the ring.

I did not order the fight, and from what I read, the fight may have hurt boxing more than it helped. Another over-hyped event that was more about making money than the sport. Why would anyone shell out any money for boxing again?

I won't be getting any pay per views for a log time if ever

feller469

News is out that Pacquiao has a major tear in his rotator cuff. I wonder if Vegas would consider giving bettors their money back considering that information probably would have significantly changed the way people bet. And, no, I did not bet on the fight. If I had, I would have bet Mayweather to win a decision, because that is his M.O.