• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

May 5, 2012: Miguel Cotto vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Floyd Mayweather to fight Miguel Cotto

Welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. will rise in weight and challenge junior middleweight titleholder Miguel Cotto on May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas after the Nevada State Athletic Commission voted 5-0 on Wednesday to grant Mayweather a one-fight license at the conclusion of a one-hour hearing.

"Miguel Cotto is a world-class fighter who can never be taken for granted and continues to prove he is one of the best in boxing," said Mayweather, whose long-discussed match with Manny Pacquiao has been put off yet again. "It will be a challenge for me to compete with him at this weight, but this is the type of test I thrive on and gives me the motivation to train even harder. I have no doubt in my mind that my title belt collection will increase once again and Cotto's reign as champion will come to an end on May 5."

Mayweather vs Cotto Confirmed For May 5th at MGM Grand

Grant Sawyer State Building, Las Vegas - The opponent is set for May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. During a hearing to obtain his boxing license in the state of Nevada, WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26KOs) announced his next opponent, WBA junior middleweight king Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30KOs), to the members of the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Mayweather was asked by the commission - "Do you have an opponent for May 5th? Are you ready to reveal that opponent?

Mayweather replied: "Yes I do [have an opponent].....Miguel Cotto."

Cotto, promoted by Top Rank since the start of his career, became a free agent on December 31st when his promotional contract expired.

Miguel Cotto: I Will Convincingly Beat Floyd Mayweather

Las Vegas, Nev. ...It's official. Boxing superstar Floyd "Money" Mayweather will return to the ring, step up in weight and challenge three-division World Champion Miguel Cotto for his WBA Super Welterweight World title in what will be a gargantuan showdown between two future Hall of Famers who bring excitement and fierce competition every time they step into the ring. Mayweather vs. Cotto will take place on Saturday, May 5 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nev. and will be televised live on pay-per-view.

Cotto, coming off of the second defense of his title, a spectacular tenth-round technical knockout win over Antonio Margarito in December 2011, is ready to face Mayweather and believes he is Mayweather's most competitive career challenge to date.

"I am here to fight the biggest names in boxing," said Cotto who true to his warrior spirit that has distinguished his entire career has accepted this challenge to face the undefeated Mayweather. "I've never ducked anyone or any challenge in front of me. I have accepted everything to give the fans what they like...great and exciting fights. That is what the sport of boxing is all about; making the fights that the fans want and deserve to see. On May 5, stay tuned, because I will convincingly beat Floyd Mayweather."

Mayweather has only one rival : Pacquiao
His career will be unfinishefd 'til he fight Manny. Every other fight is a waste of time.

De La Hoya Confirms Saul Alvarez for Mayweather-Cotto

Oscar De La Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions, has confirmed the particpation of WBC junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (39-0-1, 29KOs) for the Floyd Mayweather-Miguel Cotto undercard on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

As BoxingScene.com had reported several weeks ago, Canelo's return was scheduled for May 5th, but it wasn't clear whether he was fighting on the undercard or in the main event. After Mayweather announced his move in weight to challenge Cotto for the WBA title, De La Hoya revealed Alvarez's participation on the undercard.

Although it's still not clear if Alvarez will actually fight at the MGM or an alternate venue with a split-feed being produced for the pay-per-view. For Mayweather's last fight against Victor Ortiz, at the MGM Grand in September, Alvarez's pay-per-view co-feature took place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

Cotto To Start Camp Soon, Mayweather-Cotto Tour Info

The promotional tour for the mega-fight between Miguel Cotto, the junior middleweight champion of the WBA, and undefeated pound-for-pound boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr., will begin in late February and finish up in the first week of March. The tour will impact the cities of Orlando, San Juan, New York and Los Angeles - without ruling out a visit to Mexico. The fight takes place on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Meanwhile, Cotto (37-2, 30 KO's) revealed to Super Exclusivo, that he plans to start his training camp in Puerto Rico in mid-February. Cotto will once again train under the supervision of Pedro Luis Diaz of Cuba. Diaz prepared him for December's rematch with Antonio Margarito, which Cotto won by TKO.

After his initial start in Puerto Rico, Cotto will move his training camp to Orlando, Florida. Cotto will remain in Orlando until a week before the fight, and then he'll travel to Las Vegas for fight week obligations.

Saul Alvarez-Shane Mosley set for May 5

Shane Mosley, the former pound-for-pound king, three-division champion and probable Hall of Famer, knows he has not looked good in recent fights. In fact, the 40-year-old Mosley is 2-3-1 in his last six bouts and 0-2-1 in his last three since his major upset of Antonio Margarito in 2009.

But Mosley, still with one of the most recognizable names in boxing, is getting what figures to be his last title shot after he and junior middleweight titleholder Saul "Canelo" Alvarez came to terms Friday night.

They will meet on May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in the co-featured fight on the pay-per-view card headlined by Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KOs) moving up to junior middleweight to challenge Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs) for his version of the 154-pound title.

would love to see Cotto win an upset but most likely Mayweather will win. both train hard and seriously but I like Cotto because he is practical and doesn't have much swagger as Mayweather.

Canelo: Agreement Made to Face Mayweather-Cotto Winner

According to WBC 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, an agreement was made that promises the 21-year-old superstar the winner of the upcoming junior middleweight fight between Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto, who are scheduled to clash on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The Puerto Rican superstar's WBA title will be at stake.

Canelo will appear in the pay-per-view co-feature, defending his WBC title against former three division world champion "Sugar" Shane Mosley.

During BoxingScene.com's recent interview with Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, it was disclosed that the toughest portion of finalizing the Alvarez-Mosley deal - was getting Canelo to accept the co-feature position on Mayweather's pay-per-view.

Schaefer wasn't joking. Canelo confirms the information provided by Schaefer and states that he initially rejected a co-feature position on Mayweather's show. Canelo wanted to headline his own event on a different date.

To finalize the Mosley deal, Canelo states that he reached an agreement with Golden Boy to fight the Mayweather-Cotto winner. Canelo expects the winner to be Mayweather, but doesn't see the fight happening until 2013.

"The condition to fight in a preliminary [position to] Mayweather - is that I would face whoever wins. If Mayweather wins, [the fight] won't happen until next year because he only fights once per year and he has to go to jail for three months, so it wouldn't happen until 2013," Canelo said.

"I placed that condition in and I have every intention to follow through on this. I initially didn't want appear as a co-star. I preferred to fight on another day and another place. I was told that Mayweather also wants to fight with me and that I would be next, so we agreed to [be the co-feature]."

As always, HBO PPV will televise in the US. UK Broadcasting rights go to BoxNation.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Miguel Cotto Ticket Information

Los Angeles - Tickets for Floyd "Money" Mayweather vs. Miguel "Junito"Cotto, 2012's biggest night of boxing, go on sale next Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 1:00 p.m. ET/10:00 a.m. PT. The WBA Super Welterweight World Championship between the undefeated Seven-Time, Five-Division World Champion Mayweather and Three-Division World Champion Cotto will take place Saturday, May 5 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nev. The 12-round contest for Cotto's WBA Super Welterweight World title is presented by Mayweather Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions and Miguel Cotto Promotions and will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View®.

Tickets will be priced at $1,500, $1,250, $600, $300 and $200, not including applicable service charges, with a total ticket limit of 12 per person. Ticket sales will be limited to 10 per person at the $1,500, $1,250, $600 and $300 price levels with a ticket limit of two (2) per person at the $200 price level. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000. Tickets also are available for purchase at www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com

Cotto Making Moves, Pumped For Mayweather Press Tour

WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto is pumped for Monday's press conference at the Coliseum José Miguel Agrelot in San Juan. The press conference, starting at 2PM, will be open to the public, as Cotto and Floyd Mayweather Jr. will meet face to face to announce their clash on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Cotto and Mayweather will also make press tour stops in New York and Los Angeles.

Cotto recently opened his tenth gas station, located on Castiglioni Avenue in Bayamon. Hundreds of fans turned out to greet Cotto at the gas station's opening. Cotto signed autographs and took numerous photos.

"[Mayweather's people] made us a very good offer and I am very satisfied with everything. It is very good that there are the people here celebrating with me [in Bayamon]," said Cotto.

Cotto admits the fight with Mayweather is likely going to be the most lucrative bout of his entire career. However, he doesn't know how much money he'll earn in comparison to his 2009 clash with Manny Pacquiao. Cotto's final financial take will depend on the pay-per-view figures.

“You could say that [this fight] is the most lucrative. We have to wait until this fight is over [for the overall financial take]," Cotto said.

So far, Mayweather and Cotto have exchanged pleasant words. Mayweather is regarded as one of the best trash talkers in boxing, and everyone is wondering if the two boxers will remain civil during the media tour.

"Up until this point, there has been no animosity [with Mayweather] during the promotion," Cotto concluded.

Mayweather: I Have No Doubt Cotto's Reign Will End!

San Juan, Puerto Rico - On Monday, WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26KOs) went face to face with his May 5th opponent, Miguel Cotto. The two fighters began their promotional tour to announce their pay-per-view showdown at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The two fighters will now travel to New York City for a second press conference, and the tour will finish on Thursday in Los Angeles.

Mayweather, moving up to 154-pounds to challenge Cotto for his WBA championship, expects another victory and another title.

"Miguel Cotto will fight hard....it will be a very exciting fight. On May 5th, it won't be an ordinary day. We're going to give people all around the world what they want to see. It will be a challenge for me to fight Miguel at this weight, but this will be the kind of test that will motivate me to train harder. I have no doubt that my collection of belts will increase again and Cotto's reign will end on May 5th," Mayweather said.

Cotto paid no attention to Mayweather, and promised to return to Puerto Rico with the title belt around his waist.

"I'm going to prepare as thoroughly and on May 6th I will return to Puetro Rico as champion. That, I can guarantee," said Cotto (37-2 ).

Photos: Mayweather, Cotto Face To Face in Puerto Rico

MayweatherCottoPRPC_Hoganphotos(4).jpg

:stir:

Miguel Cotto Welcomes Drug Testing in Mayweather Clash

WBA Junior Middleweight champion Miguel Cotto has agreed to undergo random Olympic style drug testing in route to his showdown with undefeated pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr on May 5th. USADA (United States Anti Doping Agency) will once again be administering the tests and Cotto has absolutely no problem with the testing; he actually supports it.

“In sports, if it’s something about skills, conditioning or preparation, you have to be [clean]. In all sports you have to be [clean] and if you can contribute to make the sport better and more clean, I’m not mad about that” explained Cotto.

What was once a major factor in the fallout of a possible fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, has now become a normal procedure when facing Floyd. Fighters like Shane Mosley, Victor Ortiz and now Cotto have all agreed to the testing.

Cotto is no stranger to the testing as he still remembers being tested when he was an Olympian.

“It’s the same system used in the Olympics in 2000. It’s a simple pinch. Four to six time during camp. It’s not going to be bigger than a spoon of blood. It isn’t going to take anything out of me” said the Puerto Rican champion.

While the testing that USADA administers can at times seem a little intrusive or bothersome, Cotto has no problem with the testing as long as it helps keep the sport clean. Much like Mayweather, Cotto insists all fighters should fight on an even level playing field.

“I agree with [it] because I’m a sportsman and all I want is a clean, more clean sport the people can trust. People can sit in their homes and watch real fighters who are not using anything to have an advantage”.

24/7 starts next Saturday!