• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Land War stuff (Tanks, guns and anything else that doesn't fly or float)

We have threads for Warplanes and Warships, so let's finish the trifecta with land-based military tech!

1665247202761.png

1665247325726.png

M-29 Davy Crockett Weapon System

It's one of the smallest nuclear weapons ever made, and can be fired by a 2-man crew. It also looks pretty goofy - almost comical.

Orban89

Adam said I am a Noodle Brain

This vehicle belongs in a museum. Why is it still being used in Ukraine?

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
I'll tell you this. Don't let anyone bullshit you. The Russians did not invent the assault rifle. The AK47 was copied from the German stumgewhr, and at the time, there was no better main battle rifle, then the M1Garand.

https://www.sturmgewehr.com/

I'll tell you this. Don't let anyone bullshit you. The Russians did not invent the assault rifle. The AK47 was copied from the German stumgewhr, and at the time, there was no better main battle rifle, then the M1Garand.

https://www.sturmgewehr.com/

When the pandemic first started, the Call of Duty franchise had a sale. I bought "World At War," which is set in WW II. The M1 was BY FAR the best "base" weapon, between the Allies, Germans and Japanese. It was full semi-automatic, whereas with the other ones, you had to to clear the chamber after each shot.

Mr. Daystar

When the pandemic first started, the Call of Duty franchise had a sale. I bought "World At War," which is set in WW II. The M1 was BY FAR the best "base" weapon, between the Allies, Germans and Japanese. It was full semi-automatic, whereas with the other ones, you had to to clear the chamber after each shot.
Exactly. As the war progressed, Germany developed a few semi auto rifles, but Hitler wanted arms makers to focus on heavier machine guns, bigger tanks, and vengeance weapons. He actually was not in the loop about the Sturmgewehr, but had he produced the rifle earlier in the war, it would have been a harder battle for us to fight. We both had good sub machine guns, with the Thompson, and their MP40, but they didn't really have a squad machine gun, like we did. We had the BAR, or Browning Automatic Rifle, which fired in full auto only, but had 2 rates of fire. It used a 30-06 round, like the M1 Garand, and was instrumental for providing suppressing fire, where the Germans had the heavy machine guns that needed a couple of people, and wasn't as mobile as the BAR. It seems it would be more difficult to take out a machine gun nest, due to fortifications, but when a gun is more mobile, you can't pin it down as easily, so there are tradeoffs.

Another thing a lot of people don't know is, the German side arm, that almost everyone calls a "Luger", is actually an American thing, and the name is, or was owned by the Stoger Company. Everywhere else in the world refers to it as the "P08", pistol of 1908, and was a WWI side arm. The "P38", which was a Walther product, as was the MP44, and a newer sidearm some soldiers were issued for WWII. I think mostly to officers, and Gestapo and SS troops. Although, so was our side arm. The 1911 Colt .45ACP was developed around the same time as the luger, and chosen over all other entrants as our side arm, in 1911, and remained so for decades. In fact, the Germans produced 2 Lugers in .45ACP to compete in those trials. Some rich guy owns both as part of an enormous collection of Lugers worth a small fortune.

I vacationed down in Alabama a number of years ago. One of the places I visted was the Berman Museum. It had an amazing amount of weaponry! This was a Luger they had on display:

DSCN2267_resized.jpg

Oh: and COD World at War DOES HAVE the BAR as a weapon.

I love that game! Do you know of any other WWII games which let you fight in the Reichstag?

Mr. Daystar

I think they have an add on pack for that game, or for #2. I have played them both, a long time ago, and I don't remember which it goes to, but all 3 are WWI, the 2nd one takes you to Japan, and gives you a flame thrower.....because we all know how we had to empty the bunkers. It was gruesome, but war usually is. The rest start to get more modern. I think "Brothers In Arms", is a WWII FPS.

Wow, I had that backwards, I thought it was a German gun. I do know I was right about Americans being the ones who call it Luger, and not P08 though. I also know this, if you intend to buy, sell, trade, or collect Lugers, you have got A LOT of homework to do first. So many things matter when getting involved with that weapon. I know someone that owns one in very nice condition, and all original, but it wasn't a Nazi weapon, so it's only value is it's all matching and original, and in really good shape for a gun that old. He did say it was very picky about what ammo it would cycle. And thanks for the correction, I don't know how I got that mixed up, but I do hate giving out wrong info.

The history of guns in WWII is fascinating, so I'll add my own tidbits too:

Imperial Japan isn't particularly known for its firearms, but the Arisaka-series was very versatile, from standard guns to sniper rifles.
A distinctive feature was the long length, which combined with a long bayonet, made it into a sword/spear. This gained popularity as martial art "Jukendo" (Way of the Gun Sword), and the more practical and deadly "jūkenjutsu", which made Japanese infantry deadly in close combat, or even with an empty rifle.

1665348731936.png

It's still part of modern JSDF training using modern rifles:
1665349442719.png

They say "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight", so why not bring both?

Some more basics of modern jūkenjutsu. You don't just use the gun as a spear, but also like a large tonfa or other baton variant. Sort of like pistol-whipping on steroids.