• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Grateful Dead recommendation?

I don't like the Grateful Dead but I'm trying to. Can anyone recommend a live show to watch?

I'm giving The Dead another chance. There are bands that sound so good live that they make their studio recordings look watered down. Maybe their live shows are better than their studio albums? There's guy that I talk music with alot. He's also *not* a Dead fan but works a lot of shows and knows some Deadheads. He tells me that Dead tribute bands will try to recreate notable Dead shows. So what's a good live show for me?

I like a little bit of a lot of music from that gets associated with Grateful Dead. I LOVE Black Sabbath. I like Jimi Hendrix, Santana, The Beatles, Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, Janis Joplin, Blue Cheer, MC5, Cream, The Animals, Simon +/- Garfunkle, Peter, Paul, and Mary, some Bob Dylan, some Phish, some Rusted Root. I don't know why I can't get into The Dead

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
The 1977 Winterland Arena shows were pretty good. The Godchauxs were performing. Keith on piano, organ and keyboards, Donna, his wife doing background vocals along with Jerry, Bob, Phil, Bill and Mickey. I believe they made records out of them. Deadheads usually are allowed by the engineers to plug in off the soundboard. So the cassette tape quality is always very good.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
As for studio albums, Workingman's Dead was Robert Hunter's first album. And "Pigpen" - Ron McKernan is on this album! :thumbsup:

Pigpen is singing and playing harp on "Easy Wind"

They had an argument with the Warner Bros. production team, no not on this album, but in general -- thus they went later to Arista Records.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
The Dead were never really known as a band with a lot of stage presence. It was always about the music. That's why they use to lace the punch at their concerts with LSD.:eek:

As for studio albums, Workingman's Dead was Robert Hunter's first album. And "Pigpen" - Ron McKernan is on this album! :thumbsup:

Pigpen is singing and playing harp on "Easy Wind"

They had an argument with the Warner Bros. production team, no not on this album, but in general -- thus they went later to Arista Records.

"American Beauty" is a tremendous album, but this was the album that finally convinced me just how good they could be, with "Easy Wind" being at the top of the track list :thumbsup:

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Dude, that's not what music is about. Don't force yourself to like something you don't, just enjoy what you like.