• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

woodstock: 40 years ago this weekend

jasonk282

Banned
August 15-18 1969 just simply amazing. Just look at the artist that were invited and the ones who declined something like this will never happen again with todays inflated ego's on the pop and rock stars.

Friday, August 15

Richie Havens
Swami Satchidananda - gave the invocation for the festival
Sweetwater
The Incredible String Band
Bert Sommer
Tim Hardin
Ravi Shankar
Melanie
Arlo Guthrie
Joan Baez

Saturday, August 16

Quill, forty minute set of four songs
Keef Hartley Band
Country Joe McDonald
John Sebastian
Santana
Canned Heat
Mountain
Grateful Dead
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Janis Joplin with The Kozmic Blues Band [19]
Sly & the Family Stone
The Who began at 4 AM, kicking off a 25-song set including Tommy
Jefferson Airplane

Sunday, August 17 to Monday, August 18

The Grease Band
Joe Cocker
Country Joe and the Fish
Ten Years After
The Band
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Johnny Winter featuring his brother, Edgar Winter
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Neil Young
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Sha-Na-Na
Jimi Hendrix

Declined invites, bands that did not show up, but were invited.
The Doors,Led Zeppelin,Jethro Tull,The Byrds,Tommy James and the Shondells,Bob Dylan,Mind Garage,The Moody Blues,Spirit,Joni Mitchell and It's A Beautiful Day.

Several of the bands though it would "not be a big deal" but later kicked themsevles in the ass after seeing what they missed.

I'm fed up with Woodstock.

It's been a great festival, that's true but comme on guys, it's been 40 years ago, lets move to something else.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
Wait until December.....

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue

It's been a great festival, that's true but comme on guys, it's been 40 years ago, lets move to something else.

Yeah let's just fucking forget it about it. It's past history and ancient history at that since it happened a whole 40 years ago. No need to commemorate it or even recognize it. Let's move on to something else.

I nominate you to lead us to something else, Johan. Go ahead....bail us out here, pal. We're all counting on you.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
If I had been there, I would have sold bootlegged T-shirts.

jasonk282

Banned

This was an event that defined a generation. Guess 40 years from now people should stop thinking about 9/11 yet another event that defined a generation.

If I had been there, I would have sold bootlegged T-shirts.
Capitalist PIG:thefinger

This was an event that defined a generation. Guess 40 years from now people should stop thinking about 9/11 yet another event that defined a generation.

I understand the generational disconnect.Some things get posted about here that I can't relate to eithier, like kids shows of the 80s,never saw them lol. I hope 9/11 isn't seen as that much of a defining event for this generation.Woodstock was one of many events, we had some good like that one and landing on the moon and the civils rights movement,some bad like Bobby, Martin and John being assasinated and vietnam and watergate.

But the music lives on for all to enjoy.Maybe some will say screw that old shit,it's cool:cool:.We didn't like our parents music much eitheir and they didn't like ours.

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE White Rabbit 1969 Woodstock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EntBFYOPIcE

THE WHO - summertime blues - woodstock 1969
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5gBaCusDeY

The Who - My generation (live at woodstock 1969)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eEQ34f3czg&feature=related

Rollng Stone Mag has a article about it. It sounds better in theory and history wise.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Every few years, there are events that just symbolize the spirit and so-to-say essence of those years.

Here in Germany, the Fanmile during the Soccer World Cup made a dramatic change in the way we Germans handle our national identity.

We are very, very traumatized about the abuse of the nationalist NSDAP who used this as a way to kill millions of people and start a world war. It's hard to overcome that.

But the carefree and joyous party on the fanmile, where all the world could see that we germans aren't a threat to others anymore.

This made a change. And it sums up what we try to become.

Lungzyn

Die For Me
I saw a story on the news where a guy was talking about how 'woodstock is here'.
He was sitting on the side of the road selling tie died shirts for 10 dollars :dunno: