• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Van Halen or Van Hagar?

Van Halen or Van Hagar

• Van Halen

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • Van Hagar

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Van Hagar, hands down and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks.

Sure, Dave was entertaining in a Vegas lounge singer type of way, but his vocals always tried to compete with Eddie's guitar playing. There never was any sense of a band as it seemed like it was more a two headed monster.

With Sammy, the band finally had a real singer whose talents complimented Eddie's. Sammy was also smart enough to realize that Eddie was the real draw of the band and let Eddie have center stage.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the next Van Hagar album

Van Hagar, hands down and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks.

Sure, Dave was entertaining in a Vegas lounge singer type of way, but his vocals always tried to compete with Eddie's guitar playing. There never was any sense of a band as it seemed like it was more a two headed monster.

With Sammy, the band finally had a real singer whose talents complimented Eddie's. Sammy was also smart enough to realize that Eddie was the real draw of the band and let Eddie have center stage.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the next Van Hagar album

I agree but that being said, those differences in Dave & Sammy are what made "both" Van Halens work.
I'm prone to the Dave era as it had attitude gallore and the music was rockin' unlike most of the Sammy era stuff but 5150 is absolutely one of the best sounding records ever made. It could of been Dave singing on that record as much as Sammy.

I like Sammy better in Montrose or as a solo artist and I have to admit I like Dave any way. I like the way he looks at life.
I actually loved his radio show. Completely different from anything else and it drew me back to listening to the radio.

Here's a history lesson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wSzR-yr5Zk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2AHTL9ncM&mode=related&search=
No part 3 or 4.

When you listen to the early Van Halen material the raw energy is incredible. The first two V.H. album are still two of my all time favorites. I don't mind the Hagar stuff but the REAL Van Halen included Diamond Dave.

I have the demos VH did for Gene Simmons. He first discovered them in 1976 and wanted to get them signed but when he made the "suits" listen to the music, they didn't like it so they passed. I bet they really felt dumb two years later. Those demos I have are killer too, some songs became tunes we know & love but some never made it on record yet they still rock.
Van Halen were North America's Led Zeppelin for the 80's. Their show at the US Festival
is excellent.
Ok I'm rambling but thanks anyway!

I just realized that I hadn't yet voted in my own poll!
Van Halen for me.
Eddie seemed to "mellow" as time went on especially after Dave.
I don't mind the VanHagar but for me it's really two seperate bands!

:2 cents:

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
What? No Van Morrison? :1orglaugh

Actually, it's a wash for me....both Roth and Hagar brought Unique style and substance to the band. Not worth arguing about in my book.

JMO of course........:glugglug:

The david lee roth/van halen was so amazing.....i love the song "unchained"....my favorite.....it rocks. Check out u-tube for some awesome footage of VH from the late 70's early 80's. I just wish i would have seen them in concert back then...

If you get the chance, check out Van Halen's performance at the US Festival in '83. It represents all that was great about Van Halen. A must for fans.

Van Halen all the way.I only care for a few songs that Van Hagar did,but pretty much everything Van Halen did up to Diver Down was kick Ass. Besides I could never look at Sammy and not laugh for some reason.

For me it's always going to be Van Halen with DLR, I just love those days and that was the classic lineup. Don't get me wrong, I love Sammy Hagar but David Lee Roth was the man and like the songs from his era a lot more than Sammy's.

call me dumb, but arent they already in? and if not, then what the hell took so long? then again, it took the committee a long time to induct sabbath. :bowdown:

You're not dumb & no they weren't in yet.
For a band to be nominated, their first release has to be at least 25 years old.
Black Sabbath had been nominated quite a number of times but never got enough votes to be inducted until last year.
To me, the RRHOF is kind of a farse. Great bands are overlooked yet bands that had one or two hits get in there way quicker.
It's supposed to be about groups that have influenced R&R but honestly it's much more of a popularity contest.

I know this sounds biased because of my sig but bands like KISS should have been in there a long time ago since they have influenced hundreds of bands & again they are overlooked, that's just an opinion though. Eddie Van Halen did wonders for the guitar, for American rock & for music in general. Van Halen put the fun back in Big Rock, they were America's answer to Led Zeppelin. I think it's time they get a bit of a "Thank You". :2 cents:

i agree with everything you said MM. hmm, i wonder if metal will be included in the hall of fame. maybe not slayer, but maiden definitely deserves to be there. they came out in what, 78-79? they are eligible. i wonder if i want maiden along side artists like rod stewart. nah!!!:D