• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

the best year in sports for your city/state/country?

being from the southside of chicago and a lifelong, diehard whitesox fan, i'm still basking in the afterglow of our world series championship, which comes on the heels of the univerity of illinois' near victory in the ncaa basketall championship. both teams had stellar, near record-breaking regular seasons as well, and overall, provided chicago with one of the most exciting years in sports that i can remember in my 35 years. considering the fact that we normally wait a generation or more between champions in this city, to nearly have two in one year was awesome to experience.

with that in mind, what year stands out in your mind as having been the best and most exciting sports year for your hometown/state/country?

for me it was a photo finish so i listed the top 3 (this was closer than dubya's first "victory", and i counted the hanging chads. any one of these years could have been #1 for me):

Chicago, Illinois, USA
#3 - 1995: the 72-10 year. jordan was back for his first full year after retirement #1 with a vengance...the city was a ghost town during all 100 games, unless you were at any bar or restaurant that had a tv (forbes magazine reported on the economic impact of jordan's second retirement to the u.s. economy, i saw it firsthand as dozens of bars and restaurants closed within the year after he called it quits again).

#2 - 1985: da bearssss. they pissed on the nfl and vandalized the lombardi trophy during one of the most complete demonstrations of a team's dominance in a sport (@#$@%@ the dolphins!!!). is it arrogance when you say you're gonna kick everybody's ass and then go do it???

#1 - 2005: see comments at the top

what about your city???

member20672

Closed Account
Well for Arizona it is 2001. The world series that was actually worth watching. IT wasn't like the last couple of series with boring sweeps. D-backs vs Yankees. Since 9/11 happened people said it was America's team against the D-backs. We took two in at home, then they took three in NY, then we gave them a gut check and took the last two. I still remember that blooper from Gonzo, in the bottom of the ninth, with the bases loaded that won us the series. What a feeling, we beat the Yankees. THe most honored team in baseball and we came back and defeated them. Even if we never win a series again i will for sure remember the 2001 World Series.

since not all of us come from USA i'll make the subject national!!!
Hellas top 3 :
2004 - we won the Europian Championship in football!!!
2004 - we organized the Olympics ,with great success,despite of the bad forecasting
2005 - we won the EuroBasket!!!

Last edited:
France :
We organised and won the World Cup (Soccer). Between 5 and 10 millions people partying in he streets of Paris in the evening and night of July 12th ; The biggest people gatherings since 1944 :nanner:

4G63

Closed Account
iputinwork said:
Chicago, Illinois, USA
#3 - 1995: the 72-10 year. jordan was back for his first full year after retirement #1 with a vengance...the city was a ghost town during all 100 games, unless you were at any bar or restaurant that had a tv (forbes magazine reported on the economic impact of jordan's second retirement to the u.s. economy, i saw it firsthand as dozens of bars and restaurants closed within the year after he called it quits again).

#2 - 1985: da bearssss. they pissed on the nfl and vandalized the lombardi trophy during one of the most complete demonstrations of a team's dominance in a sport (@#$@%@ the dolphins!!!). is it arrogance when you say you're gonna kick everybody's ass and then go do it???

#1 - 2005: see comments at the top

Verbatum

Reactions: BNF
********** said:
I have lots of homes, so I'll do all of them:
Liverpool: Either 1984 or 1988 or 2005.

What about 2001 : Liverpool FC won : Charity Shield, League Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Cup and European Super Cup :bowdown:

BNF

Ex-SuperMod
Easter 1993 - European Grand Prix at Donington, Senna's first lap is about the most memorable sports event for me - impossible for me to name an entire year!

well this is more local, but in my grade 12 year of high school, we won everything!

football , volleyball, hockey, soccer, field lacrosse, track, baseball

it was a great year

Well I am originally from AZ so I would have to say that he best moments I can remember are:

Football-
When Arizona State made it to the Rose in '96 :glugglug: But sadly they lost when Ohio St came back at the end of the game :mad: But still was a great season for the Sun Devils then
When the Cardinals beat the Cowboys on a Sunday and rushed the field to tear down the gold posts :nanner:
In high school when we beat my old classmates on their home field spoiling their undefeated season, by they way I hated most of those kids :thefinger back then, seeing them cry was worth the ass kicking we gave them.

Baseball-
When the Diamondbacks beat the Yankees in the world series, I too still remember the blooper hit by Gonzo to win it

Basketball-
Last years Suns Team was a great team to watch play
When the Arizona Wildcats won the National Title in '97

When ever a team from AZ does something great I support, and believe me they are few and far between. I live in Vegas now but this town sucks for sports, UNLV sucks.

iputinwork said:
being from the southside of chicago and a lifelong, diehard whitesox fan, i'm still basking in the afterglow of our world series championship, which comes on the heels of the univerity of illinois' near victory in the ncaa basketall championship. both teams had stellar, near record-breaking regular seasons as well, and overall, provided chicago with one of the most exciting years in sports that i can remember in my 35 years. considering the fact that we normally wait a generation or more between champions in this city, to nearly have two in one year was awesome to experience.

i neglected to mention that the 2004-05 bulls (chicago's nba team for those of u not familiar) overcame an 0-9 start to make the playoffs for the first time since jordan's second retirement and subsequent dismantling of the reigning 3-time championship team that included scotty pippen, dennis rodman and coach phil jackson.

yeah...this has been a good year so far...and the bears are leading the nfc north division (ok...it is the worst division in football and perhaps all of pro sports, but first place is first place :tongue: )

Last edited:
City:
1.) 2000, the Peoria Pirates of the now defunct IFL (Indoor Football League) went undefeated (17-0) and won the championship.
It was the first time a indoor football team had went undefeated in ANY league.

2.) When the local Manual Rams high school basketball team won 4 straight state championships. 93,94,95 and 96.
They beat Chicago Farragut that had Kevin Garnett on the team.
It also produced Frank Williams--drafted Knicks and later traded to the Bulls.

It would have to be 1983 for the city of Aberdeen. When we won the European Cup Winners Cup and the European Super Cup. Still the only Scottish side to win 2 European trophy's.

Liverpool FC and all in my time since I started to support them back in 1976 aged 6...

Football League Division One (Premiership now) 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80,
1981-82, 1982-83, 1983-84, 1985-86, 1987-88, 1989-90

European Cup 1977, 78, 81, 84, 2005

F.A Cup 1986, 89, 92, 2001, 2006

UEFA Cup 1976, 2001

Also have to give a mention to when England won the Rugby World Cup 2003 in Australia.