• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

New Job Salary Question

I just got an offer for a job but they want to pay me a small wage for the first month and then they say they will raise my salary to what I'm asking. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have heard of a probationary period for health care but never for salary.

I've never seen this, but If it's in writing and you're comfortable with the beginner salary, I don't see the problem.

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
I've seen probationary periods before where you get a lower salary and then you get an increase after you complete your 1-3 months (or whatever is required by law).

Just make sure you have it in writing that you get a salary increase once you're probation period ends.

I've personally never seen this before but when I think about it, it makes allot of sense for companies to do this especially if there is any amount of OJT or ramp up involved.

Too bad, now I suppose it will be a trend.

Ok thanks everyone. I'm probably not going to bring up that I want it in writing. It is a web design job and he said for the first month they will teach me their system. If they refuse to raise my wage after 30 days I'll just quit on them. I technically have it in writing from the email exchanges.

Ok thanks everyone. I'm probably not going to bring up that I want it in writing. It is a web design job and he said for the first month they will teach me their system. If they refuse to raise my wage after 30 days I'll just quit on them. I technically have it in writing from the email exchanges.

Just make sure you print those out and have them on file...and preferably not at work...

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
Agree to it.

But steal toilet paper, staples, and ink pens to make sure you break even.

1.) Makes sense since they have to train you.

2.) Don't quit. Ideally find another job then resign. But what purpose would it serve for you to quit and receive no $$ in protest of not getting the $$ you were promised??:confused:

Petra

Honestly, I'd ask them for it in writing. If they refuse, then that's a red light right there.

Petra

I've personally never seen this before but when I think about it, it makes allot of sense for companies to do this especially if there is any amount of OJT or ramp up involved.

Too bad, now I suppose it will be a trend.

I've never really seen it outside of law enforcement in the US. Generally you come in with a low pay and then once you graduate academy your pay increases.

I do see it quite a bit outside of the US though.

1.) Makes sense since they have to train you.
Well they just have to teach me the platform they use not web design. I already know web design. My concern is that it will take me a week to learn their platform and then I'll start actually working. Then they would get 3 weeks out of me at a lesser pay.

2.) Don't quit. Ideally find another job then resign. But what purpose would it serve for you to quit and receive no $$ in protest of not getting the $$ you were promised??:confused:

I would generally agree with you but my current financial situation allows me to just up and quit. I wouldn't be able to stand the thought of them thinking they got over on me by not raising my pay as promised. If they refused to raise my pay I would walk at that very moment.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
So if I understand you, this is more like a probationary/training period?

As for "getting it in writing"... isn't there a written employment contract of some sort?

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
I have worked for a company that started out as a 'New Economy' branch of a bigger company.

They really do like to play the cards like it's still Yukon business, and all is cool and different.

But when it comes to actually getting your worker's rights, extra hours getting paid, and the real payment, somehow, they are not so cool, time and again.

Better be adamant and ask for the written contract, with every extra clause in it.

As Petra said - If they don't want to do that, they are not professionals.

So if I understand you, this is more like a probationary/training period?

As for "getting it in writing"... isn't there a written employment contract of some sort?

Yes it is a 30 probationary period. I don't know about an employment contract yet.

yeah, get it in writing ; don't let them fob u off ! easily done in these hard times .

Well they just have to teach me the platform they use not web design. I already know web design. My concern is that it will take me a week to learn their platform and then I'll start actually working. Then they would get 3 weeks out of me at a lesser pay.
The operative phrase is, "they... have to teach". Meaning for them, they not only are paying you when you're not able to hit the ground running and be productive. But they also have to take time out from someone else being productive to train you. Who's paying for that training? Seems like you are in this. That's actually a fair deal IMO.

You fear you may end up working at a reduced salary for longer than it takes you to be productive. Well let's flip that around. Do you think they should have risked offering you reduced pay for a week hoping that you get it but it eventually takes you a month (or three)? Then what for them? I think they have in theory struck a reasonable deal. In some cases it's an involved process bringing on a new employee. You don't want to let them go after just a week unless you absolutely have to...so a month or 3 is reasonable to see if a person is going to work out or not.

Assuming they plan to hold up their end of the deal (like others have said, having it in writing is probably a more bona fide sign), it's not an unreasonable arrangement IMO. Again, I've never see it done but in analyzing it, I can see the sense in it.

I would generally agree with you but my current financial situation allows me to just up and quit. I wouldn't be able to stand the thought of them thinking they got over on me by not raising my pay as promised. If they refused to raise my pay I would walk at that very moment.

Okay.

Personally though, if they actually didn't uphold and there was no ambiguity in what was agreed upon...I personally wouldn't let it end in me just quitting. (I'm a stickler for shit..it may take me a while to getcha' but I don't forget and it will be coming:D:yesyes:) I would seek some sort of recourse ...Not sure what legal remedy I could pursue but just on principle I wouldn't let them get away with it to then take advantage of some other poor bastard.:2 cents: