• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Is "Raising Arizona" as good as "The Big Lebowski"?

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
Holy crap, what's next, is Fargo as good as Glitter with Mariah Carey?

Raising Arizona may not be on par with The Big Lebowski or Fargo, but it's still a pretty good movie. To suggest that it's on the same level as Glitter is fucking asinine.

This is at least a legitimate question. Both films were done by the Coen brothers at completely different points in their career. Raising Arizona was only their second film. And with anybody but fucking Cage as the lead role it probably turns into a great movie.

Hondarobot

Banned
Actually, not only is "Raising Arizona" a better movie than "The Big Lebowski", it also informs viewers that even though balloons that don't blow up into funny shapes might not be amusing to some people, that's dependent on if a person happens to find "round" funny.

That's actually important, if you want to understand the Coen Brothers.

I think "No Country For Old Men" is their best movie yet. I couldn't get into it, while watching it, until the final scene at the diner. Then it all clicked and I realized what the movie was about. I also consider "Barton Fink", "Blood Simple" and pretty much everything I've ever seen of theirs to be amazing movies. I never much cared for "The Big Lebowski" though.

Last edited:

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I guess I'm one of the three people in the world who has never seen The Big Lebowski. I've meant to many times. I've just never caught it. But Raising Arizona is one of my favorite movies of all time. I'd never seen My Name is Earl until I was channel flipping in my hotel room one night. I couldn't figure out why I instantly liked it. Well, apparently because the inspiration for the Earl character was the Hi character from Raising Arizona. :thumbsup:

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
I guess I'm one of the three people in the world who has never seen The Big Lebowski.

Where's the other one?

...but I still know more lines from The Big Lebowski than I remember from Raising Arizona. It's a great movie, though - one of my favorites..

...take that as you will.

Raising Arizona is fucking awesome. How can anyone hate that movie?

Nicholas+_bef3da064de08bced4d41914e6be1dbd.jpeg

I love The Big Lebowski, and I've never really seen Raising Arizona, but he's become such a fucking joke these days that I don't think I'd be able to enjoy it if I tried to watch it.

RA is the superior film,IMO, and has one of Cage's best performances (and I dislike Cage alot!) and the rest of the cast are excellent,too .

I think it's a draw between the two of them. I got a couple of laughs out of each movie. It's been a while since I saw Raising Arizona though so I can't quite remember what the laughs were. I can remember a couple of laughs from TBL though. One was where some Russian guy I think he was was standing in the bowling alley car park ready to pick a fight with John Goodman and co. I think the Russian guy was saying in very bad english "I'll fuck you up! I'll fuck you up!" but it came out as "I fuck you! I fuck you!" and then he gets a bowling ball thrown smack into his chest as a result LOL. The other funny bit was when they were emptying the ashes of their pal out on the cliff. It went all over the guy next to John Goodman because the wind changed course. Then of course there's the scene where the cop throws the cup at Jeff Bridges and it smacks him right in the forehead and he cries out "OWW! fucking fascist!!!" lol.