• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

I have a serious issue, and I can't stop myself.....

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
From buying tools I don't need. I have no idea use for a 3/4 drive socket set, but I almost drunk bought one last night. Hell, I don't even really have much of a need for 1/2 drive sockets, and even though the few I do have will suit me, I almost bought a 26 pc deep, sae & metric set yesterday. It was only $90, and Craftsman is a good brand, for a guy like me, but I don't need them.....I'll likely buy them though. I could have used them 10 years ago when I did work on things, but I see a sale, or a deal, and I can't stop myself. I bet if I were to look in every tool kit, around the house, plus my main box in the garage, it would safe to say I have at least 10 wrench's each, in 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, and 5/8. That's including combo, ratcheting, stubby, etc. but still, that means at least 3 or 4 of the other sizes, and some odd sizes not included in sets. At least doubles on metric sizes, then there are the sockets....about the same ratios. Untold screw drivers, pliers, and hammers. I can't really say much about any specialty tools I've bought, as they were probably either mandatory for some repair on my old bike, which has been gone for years, or because they made my life so much easier I didn't care about the money. I guess I'm just putting together a kick ass tool box for whichever of my friends buys it from my wife....for a lot less then I've spent.

God it kills me to think what she's gonna give my bike away for.

Anyone else have a problem like this? (Aside from Dino and his cutlery)

An ex-GF of mine from out of state used to visit me, weekends. EVERY TIME she'd visit, she'd bring "stuff" with her. T-shirts, casual tops, basketball shorts, holiday themed knick knacks, etc. I'm pretty sure there is a .. mental condition, where some people get a hit of dopamine (?) or something, when they buy stuff.

Mr. Daystar

If you're buying full size vintage arcade games in addition to the hand held, that's a pretty expensive hobby.

But, You Might be able to bilk the local children of there allowance by opening an arcade, so You Might not be wasting money.

Mr. Daystar

So you admit that you are powerless over tools and your life has become unmanageable ... Look for a Twelve Step Program. :)
Knowing the world today, there probably is one.

Was that "powerless", because I talked about hand tools?

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
I admit to having a fantasy, wherein I am rich, and I have a gigantic garage full of multitudes of unused tools and machines...it's like chicks with clothes and shoes or something.

Mr. Daystar

I admit to having a fantasy, wherein I am rich, and I have a gigantic garage full of multitudes of unused tools and machines...it's like chicks with clothes and shoes or something.
Like opening the Snap On catalog and buying the big, BIG set, and then ALL of the individual tools they ALWAYS fuck you on, no matter which set you buy, and they always do fuck you....11/16th, you have to have one,, but they never give you one.

And of course you have to have the big chest, with power....the smallest one they sell cost more then a lot of people spend on a car.

Steve-FreeOnes

FO Admin / "rude, unnecessary attitude" (he/they)
Staff member
I bought a MAME arcade cabinet back in 2011. It was a 'birthday present for my wife'.

Which seemed like a good idea at the time until I discovered it weighed 16 tons, and we lived in a second floor flat, and we didn't have a lift. The guys who delivered it weren't all that pleased. We had to leave it behind when we moved out two years later as it was "too heavy to get down the stairs". I'm still upset.

I did finish Cabal on one credit on it though.

The Penis Mightier

Kameltoe Harris = Poop
How about Pong?

As a kid I remember playing this at one of my friend's homes as a break from perusing the bra ads in the JC Penney catalog.

I apparently have a book problem.

Pong was fun and probably would be fun still if you broke out those massive cable box size controllers. If you have kids or grandkids get them into retro games. Once they see how good the gameplay is they might forget about fancy graphics. Who the heck needs shoulder buttons on a controller anyway?

The Asteroids machine I got is about a foot tall, 1/6 the size of one you'd see in an arcade. As a kid I was always horrible at Asteroids. I now have about 20 different ways to play Asteroids in my house but I'm still terrible. Looking forward to getting my new collectable item.

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
Pong was fun and probably would be fun still if you broke out those massive cable box size controllers. If you have kids or grandkids get them into retro games. Once they see how good the gameplay is they might forget about fancy graphics. Who the heck needs shoulder buttons on a controller anyway?

The Asteroids machine I got is about a foot tall, 1/6 the size of one you'd see in an arcade. As a kid I was always horrible at Asteroids. I now have about 20 different ways to play Asteroids in my house but I'm still terrible. Looking forward to getting my new collectable item.
My bad, I got them into math and statistics instead.

Theopolis Q. Hossenffer

Every Nation Needs a God-Emperor!
I have two big rolling toolboxes chock full of every tool I ever needed including some I have never used. Acetylene torch, yard tools, sledge hammers two or three good sized portable tool kits and two portable boxes for the old cars as well. Like El Diablo I have reached the stage of life where I get tired thinking of the stuff I used to do with maybe 1/4 of the tools I have today. Still if my body ever reconstitutes itself into something usable I will be ready. Many of the tools are over 50 years old and some maybe 75 or so as I got them from my Father. Gonna be hell when I have to let them go. Maybe my Son-in-Law needs some, he just got a big two and a half car garage.

Reactions: sj1

Mr. Daystar

The other thing, is the obsessive compulsive way I keep it organized, and become incensed when someone puts a tool back in the wrong place, or worse, doesn't wipe the grease off before putting it away. My shit is in order, perfect order, and clean.

Mr. Daystar

While I see your point, I have to ask...how much money is involved in that collection. Part of what I was getting at is, I keep BUYING stuff I don't really need.....if I was getting the unneeded tools for free, it wouldn't be a problem.

Having said that, I just wanted to ask, how many man hours do you think You Might have involved in that?