The Football Association has contacted Jose Mourinho's agent about the former Chelsea boss taking over as England coach, BBC Sport understands.
Mourinho's agent Jorge Mendes has been approached by the FA about the job, although reports that the Portuguese was already in London were incorrect.
It is thought the FA has drawn up a shortlist of five or six contenders.
Mourinho, 44, is on the list and he is considering whether he is prepared to meet FA bosses to talk about the job.
Some newspaper reports claimed Mourinho was either in London already or about to fly into England from Portugal for talks with the FA.
But BBC Sport football correspondent Jonathan Legard said Mourinho was still at home in Portugal on Friday, but that an approach had been made.
Premium Link Upgrade
Mourinho's agent Jorge Mendes has been approached by the FA about the job, although reports that the Portuguese was already in London were incorrect.
It is thought the FA has drawn up a shortlist of five or six contenders.
Mourinho, 44, is on the list and he is considering whether he is prepared to meet FA bosses to talk about the job.
Some newspaper reports claimed Mourinho was either in London already or about to fly into England from Portugal for talks with the FA.
But BBC Sport football correspondent Jonathan Legard said Mourinho was still at home in Portugal on Friday, but that an approach had been made.
Premium Link Upgrade