• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

A Guide to Homelessness

Lots of good info here. I just found the site because I'm having a hard time with my financial situation, and, well you just never know. Some of the stuff is pretty funny, but the info really is in depth. It's a pretty long read so I quoted some of the more interesting stuff below:

With the police, you gotta make yourself invisible. Be as unobtrusive as possible and fit in with your surroundings (It boils down to - be a chameleon or be a statistic). Pay attention to the homeless population. If they are all over the place then you can let yourself look as cruddy as you want because the homeless are a fixture. But if you can’t find any of your brothers in poverty then you must either clean yourself up and become "presentable" or relocate.

Being picked up by the police can be a mixed bag affair. On three separate occasions I remember being picked up by very compassionate officers who sincerely wanted to help. Two other times I had the holy snot kicked out of me by some real sleazes. I think I just heard someone say, "Well, I would fight back!" I would place my bet on this being the outcome if you did -- "Honest chief, this bum just come outta nowhere and attacked us for no reason! Once we saw the (insert weapon here) we fired to protect ourselves."

4... Sewers, Storm Drains, etc- NOT! Trust me on this one, I’ve been in them… They come in all shapes and sizes, and while going from point A to point B may be okay you don’t want to live in the freakin’ things. Your sense of smell will be shot in short order and if you’re in them during a large rainstorm you’re gonna swear you are being flushed down a toilet. Let's not forget the opportunities contract all sorts of wonderful diseases/maladies as well as have your cuts &scrapes horribly infected. Rabies anyone? Excellent way to get yourself killed and when you come out everyone in a five-block radius is going to notice you (slight exaggeration but you know what I mean). Hard to remain unobtrusive if everyone thinks you’re a CHUD.

3... Dumpsters - My personal rule is if you didn’t watch them dump it- then don’t! I learned the hard way that just because it looks all right doesn’t necessarily mean it is. Cook the crud out of the veggies and expect to lose a lot of the nutritional value. Wash the fruit with the cleanest water you can get and peel it. I don't advise using the meat the butchers throw out because most of them will try to sell it until last possible moment.

4... HEEEERRRE KITTY KITTY! - All joking aside, in the towns and cities that is THE EASIEST way to catch "the other white meat"…. Personally, I’ll pass on the rat catchin’. It's good to understand that many of the woodlots will carry more critters than you may realize are out there, it’s catching them that can prove real trying. There are also ponds and creeks available in many places too, where you might be able to catch frogs, crawdads and turtles. Look for any signs warning of pollution and not fishing first. Make sure you thank the good folks that feed the pigeons for fattening the little beasts up. As far as what to use to catch the critters, silence and concealability are going to be your two biggest factors no matter how you consider the problem.

My Pigeon Traps - Pigeons are funny critters (and easy to catch, IMO). Besides beanin' them with sticks, I've chunked fist-sized rocks at em, and trapped them. In the cities, go where there's flocks of them and they aren't really afraid of people. Feed them for a little bit, then go about setting up your trap(s). Scatter a little more feed and sit back and wait. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get enough for dinner.

Eating pigeons and small birds - I don't know much about any diseases in pigeons (or other birds) but, while I was homeless, I ate hundreds of the little beasties without any ill effects....

The trick, IMO, is to give the bird a REAL GOOD once over before considering eating it. When you come across a sick pigeon, you'll know it. It'll be missing a lot of its "fluff" (not talking about molting here) and the bare skin will look like third degree burns or something. If the legs look like the skin is rotting, that's a good sign too. Eyes look funny? Like cataracts? Find any of these things, then just toss the bird. You can always get another. It IS possible that the way I checked the birds out was “improper,” but doing it this way I never got sick from eating them.

For the women - I had the opportunity to meet quite a few "bag ladies" and you’d be surprised at how many of them would actually have been very good looking if cleaned and "dressed" up. A lot of what they did as far as dress and appearance went (baggy multi-layered clothes, grimy hands and face, rats-nest hair, etc) was for purely defensive purposes. The crappier they looked, the less chances of being sexually victimized. I gotta tell you, I heard some real horror stories from some of these gals…

http://www.donrearic.com/homeless.htm

That is pretty revealing. I didn't read it all but it looked practical actually.

Good luck with your own rough situation. :thumbsup:

That is pretty revealing. I didn't read it all but it looked practical actually.

Good luck with your own rough situation. :thumbsup:

Yes. I will do everything in my power to never find myself in that position, but dang, it's hard not to feel for people that are. Rent is now like $800 for a one room, then you have utilities, food, etc. You're easily over a thousand a month, after it's all said and done. It's tough, man. I got a friend who knows a friend who has a little dump above a bar or something and he pays like $350. :dunno:

Here's another:

Advantages of Homelessness

You'd be surprised how many advantages there are to a homeless lifestyle. While there is an aspect of difficulty and hardship, there is also an element of easy living. I was made homeless by circumstances, but I stayed homeless by choice.

Imagine working two weeks to pay for your expenses for two months. You can easily go to college with an income requirement so low. My expenses, excluding food, averaged $300 per month for the five years I was homeless. That included storage, mailbox, telephone or pager, gasoline, vehicle insurance, health club membership, dry cleaning, laundry, new clothes, and entertainment. I went to the movies a lot. Imagine what you could do with the time if your work week was two days and your weekend was five.

I went to museums, libraries, volunteered, went to concerts, went to college, watched trials at the local courthouse, spent time with friends, played chess, practiced yoga, read, went to movies, and spent time just thinking.

The freedom is awesome. It is also somewhat daunting. It is hard to be prepared for so much time on your hands. In a strange way I felt a kinship with prisoners. The time can draw out and overwhelm you, so don't be surprised by this experience. Depression can sometimes attend this amazing freedom. In the end, the freedom to do as you please is addictive.

There are advantages to homelessness. You are no longer slave to a wage.
http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/2004/10/advantages-of-homelessness.html

EDIT: It's not a forum, so I think I can post it?

Hope it does not come to that, good luck!

Well, I'm never going to head downtown to sign up for welfare. It's just something I would never do. Be nice to have a good job, versus struggling to find one. Hell, I'll pick fruit if they pay my $14 an hour. At that rate, I'd even work at a hotel. You'd think in the most wealthy country on the planet there'd be ample oppurtunity for work...good work one could live comfortably on, but it just doesn't seem that way. You're looking $7.50 to flip burgers. :(

I'm not sure if you have towns in the U.S. doing this but here there are a few towns where they nearly give away a house and land package to get people to come into a dying town to work and live.

surely as more and more people move to the cities, they leave behind towns with a short supply of workers

just pull a chris mccandless. i know i will one day its sort of a dream hah

lol

There's a certain conformity to living in America...Uncle Sam "do what I say, boy...." you had better conform to what we expect of you. We're sort of like an entity that the government views as machines - $$$ signs, if you will. Taxable people.

I'm a Capitalist, and I can't help but respect people like Dick Cheney who flunked out of college and went back only to succeed (I said I respect him, not that I like him. In fact, I hate him, but I still respect him :dunno:) Sam Walton, as well. Self made. That's the beauty of America in that you can "live the dream."

But a lot of it seems oppressive, and I don't want any of that. Then you have the imperialistic nature of our gov/country infiltrating soveriegn nations and staying there for decades, via our military. McCain now thinks our military will be in Iraq for 100 years? :confused: It's ridiculous. We've wasted trillions on a country that isn't America. That's backwards. America should be frigging walking on streets of gold.

I recieved an Associate in Arts degree with about a 3.80, and anybody here who went to school knows that's the broadest, most un-usable degree you can get. It's basically "generals." But it doesn't afford you a $20 an hour job when you get out. So all along I knew I would go back, and I will. I might just live in my car and get my Bachelors in either IT or political science. Then I might actually be able to afford living in this country. :dunno:

Facetious

Moderated
Indeed 96C, Hope stuff works out for you.

We must stop / reverse this collaboration between the business community and the politicians on both sides of the aisle for whoring out to the special interests which import a seemingly endless pool of undercutting cheap labor into America. That IS what is going on 100%. We've discussed this before, IIRC. It's infuriating !

What the fools didn't calculate (I hope !) is that we'll have a plethora of men and women returning home from the middle east . . . How many thousand ?
Only to find out that their own govt. has undermined the job prospects in their very own homeland, whilst they were . . . well, doing what they were asked required.

I see the whole dynamic clear as a bell !

Those Frauds ! :mad:

You Take Care There :hatsoff:

Homelessness is not an isolated event.

Homelessness is the result of child abuse.

Homelessness is the result of domestic violence.

Homelessness is the result of untreated mental illness.

Homelessness is the result of untreated addiction.

Homelessness is the result of Veterans being discarded.

Homelessness is the result of layoffs.

Homelessness is the result of catastrophic medical bills.

Homelessness is the result of COMPULSIVE WEALTH ACCUMULATION DISORDER

here's some stuff that a freind of mine wrote:

There are hell of people without homes. Most of us don't understand why. We think that maybe some experts can figure it out and fix it. The governments experts don't seem to ever come up with any satisfactory explanations or plans for helping.

A few questions you might want to ask your self as you walk by homeless and think to yourself "what a hassle". Is this person a victim of WWII,the Korean war, the vietnam war, the gulf war? would I be able to retain my sanity after such an experience? Is this person a victim of the governments flood of cocaine and heroin and alcohol? Is this person a victim of Incest or child abuse? Is this person a victim of domestic violence? Could I retain my sanity after these experiences? Is this person a victim of psychiatric pharmacology? Is this person someone who wasn't always homeless and lost their job and then their housing? If I lost my job for a period of months would I have a place to live? Would my landlord let me slide for months? Am I blaming this person for the fact that they are homeless or am I blaming the system of thought which actually makes people live without shelter?

I've also noticed that people who rent and work make a ton of excuses for their landlords and bosses. Shit like "well he's nice for a land lord" or "she's not as bad as the other bosses I've had" or "he's not bad he let me slide a couple of days on the rent". You would not make those excuses if a black man robbed you on the street but you would for the white man who robs you the first of every month. If a stranger came up to you on the street and force you to work for him you wouldn't excuse it but you sure would for your boss.

There are more vacant housing units in every urban area in america than there are homeless people. They are kept vacant with wood and screws and nails and nuts and bolts and fear. The last one fear is the hardest one to overcome, the rest of it is a simple matter of tools.

In the last two years I have noticed a thing happening everywhere I go. This is the criminalization of homeless people. I first noticed it here in LIBERAL Berkeley, where the city council voted to make illegal the following actions: sitting on the sidewalk, Asking for change near an ATM or a parking meter, asking for change after dark, holding out a cup, etc. I have traveled to hundreds of major cities in America and the situation was the same everywhere, laws that all essentially outlawed not the homeless person but everything that a homeless person must do in order to survive. This has also been the case in the cities I recently visited in Europe.

I brought this up because irregardless of your current situation you are most likely in the same position as the vast majority of the populations of these countries. It may seem pretty distant from you but you are in reality only 1-4 paychecks away from homelessness. Whether you rent or have a mortgage or even own and have to pay property taxes.
The newspapers and the TV news like to tell sad stories about the fatalities of homelessness. Being homeless and exposure to the elements don't kill a person. People have lived on this continent for a long time without fixed dwellings. The concept of private property which says that YOU don't get to use the resources of YOUR world that you need to deal with the elements is what actually kills. It is just another christian way of blaming NATURE for our own shortcomings.

Although some people are on the street as a result of alcoholism, drug addiction, mental illness; what is more relevant is that these people are on the front line of a war on the people, waged by our rulers in quest of wealth and power.

We can do as our rulers have planned for us and fight each other over crumbs, fear each other over differences, kill each other over land we haven't really fully realized our birthright to or we can recognize each other as the players on the same side of the game that we are, whether we choose to accept that or not. Always remember you're next.

Facetious

Moderated
^
what is more relevant is that these people are on the front line of a war on the people, waged by our rulers in quest of wealth and power.

We can do as our rulers have planned for us and fight each other over crumbs, fear each other over differences, kill each other over . . . .]

Profound Writing There :hatsoff:

Maybe they've planned for a chaos of the masses all along (?) I wouldn't put it past 'em !

When all the Gulfstreams begin to line up on the tarmac, just say "now".

:crash:

an estimated 336,000 veterans in the United States who were homeless at some point in 2006

There were that many homeless vets in 2006? That's outrageous. :(

The Importance of the Car Cover

There are two classes of homelessness, with car and without car. Without car is hard, very hard. I don't recommend it to anyone. If you are homeless and without a car, my best advice to you is couch surf. Stay with your friends until you can get a car. Sell anything you have to get a car. It is best if the car runs, but running is not essential as long as it is small enough to push. The car can be in any condition, damaged, new, old, used, stinky, cruddy, rusty. Who cares? It is a car. I don't even care if you can drive. Get a car.

If you can't drive, you're going to want to fix that. That's for another time, though.

A car is shelter. A car is a place to sleep. A car is a mobile storage unit. There is no other device that will do as much for you, short of ending your homelessness. But a car, on its own, is not enough. If you sleep in your car in a city, you will meet with local law enforcement. There is nothing quite so unpleasant to wake up to as the sound of a baton hitting a window beside your head. Take it from one who knows by experience.

To provide for concealment, get yourself a car cover. Cover the car and while no one is looking slip up under the edge, open the door as far as you are able, slip into the car, close the door and go to sleep. Whack, whack, whack. What the hell? Meet your local sheriff.

It isn't quite enough to have the car and to use the car cover. Car covers have a nasty habit of being blown about by wind, and you can easily be uncovered as you sleep. An even bigger complicating problem is that car covers attract car thieves. Your car will be an even bigger target for thieves because of your necessary choice of parking locations. To deal with this problem you will need to tie the cover down at four points, front and rear bumper, and both sides. I usually send a line underneath the car (by attaching a weight to the line and tossing it under) and tie the sides of the car cover to itself. This procedure makes it more difficult to get into the car, but if thieves or police come, you will have warning and time to compose yourself before you have to face the problem...

http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/2004/10/importance-of-car-cover.html

Blink

Closed Account
That's such depressing stuff to think about. Personally, I would rather off myself or commit petty crimes (jail) than be homeless. Being so without a working car doesn't even bear thinking about.

My advice is to spend less time contemplating what might happen and more time thinking about what should happen. If you need more income, then signing up with a few temporary agencies can't hurt. Several clerical positions which paid upwards of $12/hr. were offered to me, and all I had was a HS diploma.

Don't count on being offered a permanent position after a while, though. Temp agencies tend to make a big deal out of that, but that's never happened to me. Expect to continue the job search, barring pleasant surprises.

bigbadbrody

Banned
good read, may help me in the future

That's such depressing stuff to think about. Personally, I would rather off myself or commit petty crimes (jail) than be homeless. Being so without a working car doesn't even bear thinking about.

My advice is to spend less time contemplating what might happen and more time thinking about what should happen. If you need more income, then signing up with a few temporary agencies can't hurt. Several clerical positions which paid upwards of $12/hr. were offered to me, and all I had was a HS diploma.

Don't count on being offered a permanent position after a while, though. Temp agencies tend to make a big deal out of that, but that's never happened to me. Expect to continue the job search, barring pleasant surprises.

Right. It's best to think positive.

good read, may help me in the future

If/when the SHTF, print a copy or two.

This book looks interesting:

http://www.carliving.net/

ways to disappear and live free
To "live free" means to be able to control your own life and to avoid violence, or the threat of violence, by others. What you do and how you do it will almost always determine whether or not freedom will be yours. But you must take the responsibility for creating your own freedom. No one, especially the "government" will do it for you.

http://www.impactlab.com/2006/03/29/ways-to-disappear-and-live-free/

That's some interesting stuff, although it would be a little hard for homeless people to access that on the Internet.